The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Although my location has Wroxham, where I seem to spend most of my waking hours, I actually live in Rackheath. So my view will be very much blighted, country views will be a thing of the past before too long.

The actual impact on Woxham/Hoveton for the future will depend on how many more developments they keep tagging on

I'm not a Labrador More a Rough Collie ( I must transfer a copy of my Avatar from the other place).

Directly the NDR won't affect Wroxham / Hoveton as it's several miles away.

Indirectly it will bring the area closer to London due to making the traffic flow as far as the railway bridge easier, therefore it will increase house prices by encouraging outsiders to move in. It may bring more people out of Norwich, if the traffic becomes easier to the Broads area.

Yes if you Live in Rackheath or any other village close to the NDR you will be affected by the road, how Much depends on how close, as to the House prices, there it depends on whether people see being next to the NDR as an advantage for travel or a disadvantage  for inconvenience (noise / pollution ETC.)

For my own personal point of view, even with it not being a complete road to the A47. it will save me time every time I go to work, and save me driving through some Outer Norwich housing estates to get there. Then even though, I'll have to drive to Postwick from the Wroxham road it will probably save me time going to the A47 / A17 / A1 . except at rush hour when the traffic jam from Roys to the Railway bridge will send me out by Acle as I do now.

Though the Worxham / Hoveton bypass would have been helpful to me, I hated their choice of route at the time. I wonder if that will ever rear it's head again.?

Its OK Soundings, I don't take it personally!!! Healthy debate is good for you and there are always two sides to every story, like it or not. The housing market in the UK is particularly skewed for many reasons, but the lack of affordable social housing in places like Norfolk is nothing other than a disgrace.

People are then driven into the private sector rental market where the controls are limited and where the market is primarily for young professionals and not those who need housing. House prices are subject to a supply/demand equation - build 200k homes a year for 10 years and see if house prices remain buoyant!

However leave building to the private sector and you get what you get now - greenfield sites and the continued pressure from this sector not to even include social housing on their " beautiful " estates.

Something will give eventually i suspect!!! And those houses near you will go - if the price is right!! However private individuals always have an inflated view of how much their property is worth and Potter is not necessarily the norm.

Move out to those new estates and houses shift quick enough, but often to new owners wishing to let!!

I probably go through Wroxham 5/6 times a week and apart from roadworks like now and sometimes for a very short peak period,, i must admit that i rarely have problems  -  except in August when i keep well away or go the other way!! There are many 1000's of worse places and the addition of all those homes will not all come together! We will have another recession by then and the new homes being built will fall back to a trickle!!

• Like 1

Don't disagree with any of that Marshman, and it is the political nature of housing that causes the problem. That is why I mentioned the local council removing the requirement for our local build to include affordable.  If I remember correctly the council actually posted a planning change notice and it was because of this that I asked them the question. I suspect the speed of new building was not meeting their target so they invented what to me seems like a bribe - start construction in the next month and we will take out the requirement to build affordable. But then local authorities are nor run by local people these days are they - they are career level councillors, at the higher levels anyway. Makes the concept of local government something of a joke!

3 minutes ago, Soundings said:

But then local authorities are nor run by local people these days are they - they are career level councillors, at the higher levels anyway. Makes the concept of local government something of a joke!

So vote for the ones who ARE local! That's a matter well within your control

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

So vote for the ones who ARE local! That's a matter well within your control

How is that MM? I always do, its the other buggers. That is the wonderful thing about democracy, it stops anything being under the control of an individual. Either way, one is probably still voting for a career politician. A person of some intellect and whose name I cannot recall allegedly said - if a person aspires to be a politician then that in itself is probably a very good reason why they should never be one. :-)

• Like 2

Coming back from Norwich today and there's traffic lights in the dip before the Rackheath turn. They appear to be trimming back the trees in the area of the NDR?! I'd of thought it would be bulldozers!!! It would be typical if the council is trimming the trees as road maintenance and then they come and bulldoze it later. We'll see.

On 19 January 2016 at 8:21 PM, BroadScot said:

Remembering the problems when the new road was built in the early 90's, I do hope this time round they use decent materials to carry out the work, otherwise it will require to be resurfaced, just like the old one had to have!!!:smiley-angry047:

cheers Iain

Well from another thread, I looked up on tinternet, at to where old GRP items went, some of the material is ground up, and used in road surfacing materials! So in Norfolk, there is no shortage of old GRP lol, and with low transport costs, it might be used on the new roads in Norfolk. Just my thoughts lol...

Win Win all round, but if you see an old mooring cleat, or similar, embedded in the surface, then you will know the material was locally sourced lol...

To all of you around ans about those new 30mph areas which are proliferating around roads where the NDR will cross or indeed end up - these limits are being enforced by the mobile speed cameras so you have been warned!!

Trust the police and councils not to miss a funding opportunity as they all try and preserve their jobs and /or pensions at our expense!!

The stark truth of speed limits is thus: When a pedestrian (for that read road workman) is hit at 30mph 9 out of ten, though badly injured survive, at 40mph 9 out of ten die. 

Speed limits are not put there for fun and should be respected. If you choose to think you know better, then, you deserve to get hammered.

I doubt very much that it is a funding opportunity, more a deliberately planned programme to make the sites safe for all.

• Like 1

I know I live in Norfolk and drive like I do, but do I need to slow down to 30mph well over a mile before nonexistent roadworks or even any cones? Put the signs up when there is danger by all means but not before or after they are not needed!!

They do not do that on the M25 but I suppose this is Norfolk!!!

The traffic lights at the junction near the railway bridge to Wroxham have gone, the traffic lights on the Wroxham road at the NDR have gone, with some trees trimmed and some cut down. I think the work at the Avenue in  Wroxham has finished.

In Hoveton there are a maze of white markings on the road, just up from the double roundabouts, that looks like it's going to be quite a large job when they get started.

Still no sign of anything happening on the Coltishall road.

35 minutes ago, Bayleaf said:

I think that you will find that the road works in Hoveton are the start of works on The Three Rivers Way Cycle Route.

www.threeriversway.org.uk 

Which means they're lost already, the road works are on the Stalham road, not the road to Horning  / Ludham  /  Potter.

Those are only temporary but I am on about the 30 limits e.g the Norwich side of the Sole and Heel at Rackheath - not a cone in sight but about a mile of road with the  new limit on - similarly on all the roads they are crossing or where work is intended.

Still as the cameras are out on them, its proving to be a nice little earner - its a real shame they cannot put up the signs when they are actually being effective and needed and not when not!!

Trees both sides of the Wroxham road have now been cut, there appears to be a big mud banked enclosure built on the western side of the road.

Cones have appeared on the grass on the Coltishall Road, tree cutting must be imminent.

I've just reviewed the maps, the Crostwick junction, Rackheath side is going to be closed and moved closer to Horstead,  noticeably a tight change, maybe they are trying to persuade people not to use this cut through . Anyway  it will be two individual junctions not a crossroads

The Rackheath junction is to be closed and moved nearer to Norwich