The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

2 hours ago, senator said:

I wonder how many 16-20 year olds there are living with parents in the Norwich area, 20,000 to me would not seem an unreasonable number. They are all going to need somewhere to live over the next 10 years, that is unless they are going to live their lives at Mom and Dads. 

True most will not be able to afford the new build stuff but people moving into them will free up houses further down the ladder.

Dream on Senator! It will free up property for 'buy to let'.

Fairly sure the landlords wouldn't buy it if there was no demand.

From what I have seen of buy to let landlords they never want to pay market rates so it is up to the buyers to buy them on the open market.

Even if they are only properties made available for rent they are still providing housing for those in the area. rented or purchased people still live there.

There are Traffic lights at the junction of the Neatishead / Horning crossroads for the Hoveton path.

I actually saw two men in fluorescent gear  walking along the grass verge at the NON road works speed limit on the Colitshall road.
The hedges are down, you can see both ways along the route almost to the next roads.

i was interested in the news last night as they discussed the "huge numbers " turning out to oppose the plans for a new river crossing in Kent/Essex to supplement the Dartford Crossing. They reported that up to 1500 people were expected to attend - put in perspective thats the same number of vehicles as pass through the Dartford section in !5 mins every hour of every day!!!!

What a crazy world we live in!  A few highly vocal individuals can oppose for a very long time, vital pieces of the country's infrastructure - just build the bloomin' thing and get on with it now!!!

( Mods - no need for a new topic heading - just pointing out similarities with the NDR process!!!  Sorry!!! )

3 hours ago, marshman said:

The last post referring to roadworks in Hoveton area is nothing to do with the NDR - it is the Three Rivers Way, a cycling and walking route to connect Wroxham and Potter. The nearest the NDR gets to Wroxham is Rackheath , some few miles away.

As you may have noticed I started this thread, and I mentioned later that I would let people know of any road works I know of in the area so that anybody avoiding the NDR road works won't then promptly run into another set of road works trying to get to the Broads.

Oh and the Junction of the road to North Walsham on the Stalham / Hoveton road is close to completion maybe 1 or two more days. it appears to have been drainage works so the main road doesn't flood outside the Methodist Chapel.

On 26/02/2016 at 9:40 AM, marshman said:

i was interested in the news last night as they discussed the "huge numbers " turning out to oppose the plans for a new river crossing in Kent/Essex to supplement the Dartford Crossing. They reported that up to 1500 people were expected to attend - put in perspective thats the same number of vehicles as pass through the Dartford section in !5 mins every hour of every day!!!!

What a crazy world we live in!  A few highly vocal individuals can oppose for a very long time, vital pieces of the country's infrastructure - just build the bloomin' thing and get on with it now!!!

( Mods - no need for a new topic heading - just pointing out similarities with the NDR process!!!  Sorry!!! )

Very easy to say Marshman, when if like me, you are sat in a quiet North Norfolk village.

Not so easy if your hard earned home is forever to be blighted, you peaceful retirement ruined, or your plans to bring up your young family in a rural setting in tatters.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:27 AM, w-album said:

They are living in Essex! That might seem a bit harsh but you only have to go into Roys out of season to realise that the Norfolk accent is no longer the local dialect! People move out of Essex and those living in London move to Essex which allows 'other' people to move into London. 

I don't think many of the houses being built anywhere in the eastern region whether on the A11 corridor or around Norwich will be used by local people.  As to jobs some will bring them with them or they are retired or in other cases they keep a second home going 'down south' until they retire for use during the week.

Now I live in Hertfordshire in a small commuter town and near the station are many apartments, every morning suddenly close to a departure time there are throngs of people walking towards the station like ants. A work colleague lives in one and she remarked that at the weekend there isn't anyone around.

I've lost count of the population of Ware. Can be a nightmare just getting from Hadham to Hertford and as to the high street, how many pedestrian crossings are there?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I've lost count of the population of Ware. Can be a nightmare just getting from Hadham to Hertford and as to the high street, how many pedestrian crossings are there?

FIVE Pelican on the High Street/Baldock Street alone! When you wait to cross they never change, but when you are driving they are constantly on red, not sure how that works!  Like everywhere at the moment the town is grid locked every morning - never known it so bad. Caused in part I think by the road works on the A10 - dual carriageway down to one lane in both directions for weeks.  Yesterday on a 'jaunt' to Stansted, the traffic at Little Hadham was backed up to the vets, whereas the other direction which I assumed at that time of day would have the worse traffic had a relatively short queue.  Assume they have been playing with the timings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w-album said:

FIVE Pelican on the High Street/Baldock Street alone! When you wait to cross they never change, but when you are driving they are constantly on red, not sure how that works!  Like everywhere at the moment the town is grid locked every morning - never known it so bad. Caused in part I think by the road works on the A10 - dual carriageway down to one lane in both directions for weeks.  Yesterday on a 'jaunt' to Stansted, the traffic at Little Hadham was backed up to the vets, whereas the other direction which I assumed at that time of day would have the worse traffic had a relatively short queue.  Assume they have been playing with the timings.

I know I stretch the thread a little by including road works as far as Horning from the NDR but this is getting ridiculous! !!!

• Like 1

On 20 January 2016 at 9:13 AM, Saily said:

Final thought - if we don't want all these new roads, why don't 1 in 3 of us volunteer to give up our cars????  Nah, didn't think you would.

Do you think that public transport is sufficient to support that, especially out in the sticks?

And that sprawl south of Wroxhan is awful, I agree...as is the sprawl to the north of it at Hoveton and Stalham. Then of course we have Brundall. Development will not be contained, not now we have the A11 corridor and the A47 upgrade. You are right though, everything looks the same, it will completely knock the character out of the area and, yes, I do believe they are the slums of tomorrow. If we have to build can we please build sympathetically!

My suggestion about giving up cars was a reaction to the 'don't want the new roads' argument.  With one or two notable exceptions, most opposers of roads (or houses, or in fact any new development) are those who already have those things and want to use them (but don't want others to have them as it will spoil the environment), and they're the same folks who sit in jams complaining about too many cars - without seeing the irony.

The NDR is coming; it's been decided, so there's no point in arguing the toss, that time is past.

This topic was intended as useful to advise about new roadworks relating to the NDR and I think would have been useful for a while, however, the route is readily available online here

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/travel_and_transport/major_projects_and_improvement_plans/norwich/northern_distributor_road/index.htm

and from what I've seen, the plan is to start in multiple places at once (the only way they could do it in the time planned, of course).  Most of those places which affect existing roads are now clearly visible by the preparatory works in progress, so a quick look at the map will now easily show places which will be held up for the next 18 months or so....

Will be interesting to compare how well they stick to time compared with the Elveden stretch a couple of years ago - this bit is longer with more roundabouts and bridges but still planned for a shorter project - I see the Aviation Museum at the airport is to move - that will be worth watching for any interested folks, given that most of the bigger exhibits flew in and are now fenced off from the airport

18 minutes ago, Saily said:

My suggestion about giving up cars was a reaction to the 'don't want the new roads' argument.  With one or two notable exceptions, most opposers of roads (or houses, or in fact any new development) are those who already have those things and want to use them (but don't want others to have them as it will spoil the environment), and they're the same folks who sit in jams complaining about too many cars - without seeing the irony.

The NDR is coming; it's been decided, so there's no point in arguing the toss, that time is past.

This topic was intended as useful to advise about new roadworks relating to the NDR and I think would have been useful for a while, however, the route is readily available online here

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/travel_and_transport/major_projects_and_improvement_plans/norwich/northern_distributor_road/index.htm

and from what I've seen, the plan is to start in multiple places at once (the only way they could do it in the time planned, of course).  Most of those places which affect existing roads are now clearly visible by the preparatory works in progress, so a quick look at the map will now easily show places which will be held up for the next 18 months or so....

Will be interesting to compare how well they stick to time compared with the Elveden stretch a couple of years ago - this bit is longer with more roundabouts and bridges but still planned for a shorter project - I see the Aviation Museum at the airport is to move - that will be worth watching for any interested folks, given that most of the bigger exhibits flew in and are now fenced off from the airport

We have reduced from two cars to one and use things like park and ride and trains as much as we realistically can. It is unfortunate that the government lost the plot/battle re getting people onto public transport, which imo is mainly due to the fact that it is often still cheaper by car, or cheap enough to render the hassle of public transport a non starter.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Soundings said:

We have reduced from two cars to one and use things like park and ride and trains as much as we realistically can. It is unfortunate that the government lost the plot/battle re getting people onto public transport, which imo is mainly due to the fact that it is often still cheaper by car, or cheap enough to render the hassle of public transport a non starter.

Next month, when we fly into Gatwick, I will be renting a car for a week and only use it to get to Stalham and then back to Gatwick. It will sit parked in Richos for the rest of the time and it is about the same price as getting trains and taxis for the 3 of us. Plus the fact that we have a car to go to the supermarket on the way there, so no real contest for public transport.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

What a lot of green agricultural land to build on either side of it. I think the character of those areas will change forever.

Somewhat of an understatement. The very reason the NDR is being built, to release and join up all the land already earmarked for housing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We left Norwich in '91 to move to the South East and returned to Norfolk three years ago.  The increased busyness of the City Centre and the greater amount of traffic on the inner ring road - as well as the Southern Bypass - was immediately noticeable.

Whilst housing is welcome up to a point, especially affordable housing, I am genuinely concerned about the ability of the City to sustain any more significant growth.

It seems that the last 20 years has seen massive growth on the City outskirts (someone can provide the stats. I'm sure!) but I am not sure there has been sufficient commensurate growth in the infrastructures, roads etc. Some would see that as an argument FOR the NDR but that is not really my point. Norwich is becoming gridlocked and overcrowded... I'm not sure what the answer is, but the planning model baffles me.

• Like 1