The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

• 1 month later...

Non NDR roads works,

One set on the Norwich-Coltishall road on the rise out of Horstead driving towards Norwich.

One set one the Coltishall _ Hoveton road.

One Set in Wroxham (big queues of traffic).

I think they are trying to cut off North Norfolk.

Noticed this Morning, new lines of cones alongside the carriageway on the Norwich Coltishall road, at the NDR. Also much excavation of soil and laying of ballast up to the carriageway in the shape of half a roundabout. The construction of that half is very imminent which will involve closing half of the Colt road with lights. Then we'll be driving round a U bend for some time after that while they build the other half.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Non NDR roads works,

One set on the Norwich-Coltishall road on the rise out of Horstead driving towards Norwich.

One set one the Coltishall _ Hoveton road.

One Set in Wroxham (big queues of traffic).

I think they are trying to cut off North Norfolk.

Noticed this Morning, new lines of cones alongside the carriageway on the Norwich Coltishall road, at the NDR. Also much excavation of soil and laying of ballast up to the carriageway in the shape of half a roundabout. The construction of that half is very imminent which will involve closing half of the Colt road with lights. Then we'll be driving round a U bend for some time after that while they build the other half.

I do Southrepps to either Thorpe st Andrew, Wroxham or Stalham on daily basis and the road works are insane at the moment,  every road has multiple areas of works.  Ques, accidents and frustrated drivers overtaking in the only spots that aren't at a crawl.  Never thought I would say it but I shall be glad when the money runs out and the works stop, then I can go back to potholes, pheasant and deer being the main areas of avoidance.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

For those going that way, the narrow bit of road in Coltishall from the triangle garage towards Hoveton / Wroxham. will be closed 5/6/7th April 2017 for water works. I suspect there will be other water works in that area shortly as there is water coming out of three valve covers in the area including one on the ramp to the bridge near the top. That will be chaos when they do that one...

Meantime on the NDR according to the web site.

The Bridge works on the Buxton road near Spixworth should be completed this month,

The roundabout works on the Coltishall road  / North Walsham road should be completed by June, and my observation is they have been ballasting right up to the current road over the last few days, I suspect imminent temporary single lanes and then semicircular curves round the newly formed roundabout

The Roundabout on the Wroxham Road doen't appear to have that much work done on it, but they are still promising finished by June.

The Salhouse roundabout Should be complete (but I haven't been that way to see lately)

• 1 month later...

The radio reports this morning, that the Salhouse road will be closed from today for the completion of the roundabout, which by my reckoning means they are running about 3 months late...

Looking at the current state of play with the Coltishall road I would not be surprised to see them join on that one as well, all the kerbstones are in place. That's been down to a single lane most days recently.

One thing I  one thing I have noticed on the Colt road is they appear to have built in laybys on the slip roads , for the police?

• 2 weeks later...

This is the latest on road disruption coming up  

Rackheath, Green lane,  will be closed between the A1151 Wroxham Road and Rackheath Industrial Estate (Wendover Road) for the weekends of June 3/4 and June 10/11.

The B1150 North Walsham Road will be closed overnight (8pm to 6am) between Beeston Lane and Crostwick Lane for one week from Monday, July 10

Buxton Road, Spixworth, will be closed for two weeks from Monday, July 17

And the A1151 Wroxham Road will be closed overnight (8pm to 6am) between Beeston Lane and Green Lane West for two weeks from Monday, September 18.

Two -way traffic lights will be in use from 9.30am 17/05/17 on the A1151 Wroxham Road between Sloe Lane and Green Lane West. Those lights will remain in place 24 hours a day until 9.30am on Saturday morning

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, the latest from the EDP says 13 weeks of disruption in the Catton Grove St Faiths road area, the interesting thing is this quote,

"That multi-million pound project includes the construction of the Norwich Northern Distributor Road and changes to other city streets, such as to Westlegate, Newmarket Road and Golden Ball Street."

So now we know why the NDR costs so much they've add bits all over the place into the cost of the NDR.

Also another quote

"A spokesman for Transport for Norwich said: “The plan is an overarching programme of strategic works to improve accessibility by all modes of transport around the city." I think that means more bike and bus only lanes...

OK Why do this when the roads all round the outside of Norwich are being disrupted by the construction of the NDR itself, or are they trying to cause as much disruption as possible?

• 4 weeks later...

I've just come back from Sunny Scotland to find the roads flooded, and....

on the Coltishall road, there is now half a roundabout, with the traffic being controlled down half a straight road.

However inside that traffic light controllled zone is a trench they have made and then filled in. It has however been badly damaged by traffic and the rain. So there is concealed under the water is a hole of up to 6 inches deep. This morning cars were hitting it quite badly and luckily for me I was in the Land rover but it was still one heck of a thump.

Please take this road very carefully....

The hole in the road had been filled with tarmac by the time I went home after work, but there was still a pronouced dip. However by this morning I think they had filled it again, as there was a small rise, no doubt to be beaten down by todays traffic.

The Coltishall road is no more, well a section isn't, you now have to drive round a semi circle of the new round about under traffic light control. The tarmac'd hole is under a pile of ballast  you'll never see that piece of road again...

The tarmac on the Coltishall Rd Roundabout is almost complete, the tarmac stretches as far as the eye can see, towards the Wroxham road, though the Wroxham Rd Roundabout still has a long way to go before it's use.

Just for added fun in this tourist season , if you cross the Horstead- Coltishall bridge heading north and turn right on the Hoveton -Wroxham road, there are traffic lights for water works holes in the road. 

The traffic is backing up on to the Bridge and the other way into the narrow bit on the Hoveton Road.

• 2 weeks later...

The Coltishall road NDR roundabout, is..... A roundabout, you now pass through both sides, the lanes aren't marked yet and there are plenty of cones still around. The Island needs Landscaping, and the signs are not yet up.

• 1 month later...

They are promising half the A1270 will be open by Christmas. A1270 being the official number for the NDR.

The bit not opened will be from Wroxham Road to the A47, but they are promising that by March...(I bet that's weather permitting). So from Christmas I'll be using a section of the NDR to work every day if it's open...

Knowing the mess the  highways agency get into on the roads around the West Midlands, I often wonder what qualifications the engineers have who design and build these roads and bypasses.

I have come to the conclusion that some don't even have a degree in Scalectric lol....:1_grinning::1_grinning:

That reminds me...  I had an Airfix slot car racing system, banked corners the lot ...still in boxes in the loft lol.  Probably all the tyres are perished!