The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

The mileage for us down to 'B.A' from door to door for an age has been 162 miles

Having updated the TomTom maps and also looking on the AA's Route planner.  The mileage from door to door has been reduced down to 154.  Now need to have a trip on the Mighty Tiger, those roundabouts and twisty s will be fun.

It would have been even better if the road builders had linked up the NDR where is finishes near Morton on the Hill to the A47

Griff

Griff it took me 6.5 hrs back to Leeds today it was hold up after hold up. Tomtom latest maps, right out of Stalham them took me over Ludham, Wroxham but ended up on a new road passed a airfield with the Vulcan but it them but me on the B1145 I was by myself all the way to a 1.5 mile from Sutton Bridge and it's a great bike route not in the wet. I took it steady after a week at 5mph and a dog that's travel sick!.

Goggle not put my travel history up yet but over the swing bridge turn left on A149 then right onto B1145, a few speed camera signs but didn't see any.

• Thanks 1

Last Friday we left at 0730 and with a stop on route we'd call at Tesco for a butty and in the yard at 1215, 190 miles it was a dream of a run. I wasn't even trying to take off on the dual carriage way.

But Friday we set off at 1000 and it was hold up after hold up, like I said I was on the back roads looking across the fields and seeing the traffic stood. Then got to Bylth services and it took me off there showing with tomtom taking 20 mins of the traffic jam and pop me back on the A1 in front of the jam.

All was great as I was passing Cas towards Wakefield and I said 12mins to go, then 4 lanes of red lights and I got off at Wakefield then down into Leeds after it added 20 mins back on the time. Radio report M62 shut so another 100 yards I'd have been stuffed.

Next years boats are Saturday starts. I said to Kaz if we have a Friday start I'd rather take boat back in the evening and drive home after tea. ps she misses half the delays been asleep!!

7 hours ago, Siddy said:

Next years boats are Saturday starts. I said to Kaz if we have a Friday start I'd rather take boat back in the evening and drive home after tea. ps she misses half the delays been asleep!!

We often go Friday to Friday, but rather than fight the Friday traffic book in an AirBnB or Hotel and explore some other parts of Norfolk on the Saturday before travelling home in the late afternoon.

4 hours ago, marshman said:

Don't tell everyone about the B1145!!! Might be more cars on it if you do! With the NDR open, one of Norfolks best kept secrets!!

I won't say it again why should other enjoy the views & villages going that way.

But - should I have stayed on and through Gayton and cross the river below Sutton Bridge?

Just drove the route on maps and didn't see any signs saying other wise to avoid the 1.5 mile delay I met.

The NDR Wroxham road round about is now a forest of cones.  All approach roads are now coned down to single lanes including the roundabout.  There is some heavy machinery around up some side lanes.  I suspect  they are going to redesign the layout.. 

I don't think it will be a redesign just a few adjustments.

The County Council had the roundabout under cameras so they could assess the way people drive on approach and around it, and the changes will be to attempt to adjust driver behaviour. Good luck to them on that one LOL!

The biggest problem with the roundabouts is the inability, whether mentally or dimensionally, of drivers to stay in lane whilst going round and exiting them

Secondary issues I'd say are approach speeds and failure to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout and indicating correctly ( me ! - not been hit yet but I'd say it's only a matter of time, as I use the road several times a day )

On 25/09/2018 at 12:04, RumPunch said:

The biggest problem with the roundabouts is the inability, whether mentally or dimensionally, of drivers to stay in lane whilst going round and exiting them

Secondary issues I'd say are approach speeds and failure to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout and indicating correctly ( me ! - not been hit yet but I'd say it's only a matter of time, as I use the road several times a day )

Try staying in the middle lane with an artic on the inside, not recommended if you like the car the shape it was. :default_cool:

Some of the roundabouts do need extra caution and a degree of defensive driving as I have found in my lessons. The 'locals' tend to treat the lanes on these roundabouts as if they are not there, so if you are going around, you need to indicate earlier and really show 'i'm exiting' to prevent someone coming up the inside as you come across to exit. A good look over the left shoulder does wonders and if it is not safe I have just gone back around for a second attempt.  I really dislike them because they just look and feel different to all the other roundabouts and some have filter lanes for left turning traffic, some do not and the signage could be better as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

the signage could be better as well.

Something a number of people have been saying right from the start. 

Time for me to comment.  My experience relates only to that from Thorpe to the Wroxham Road and for someone that is pretty used to some pretty nasty roundabouts in Hertfordshire and north London, I find the roundabout at the Wroxham Road horrible!

Ways to improve would be to give those going left a dedicated detached lane continuing into its own lane rather than needing to filter in/give way when joining the distributor road / Wroxham Road. (does that make sense).  They have done it at other junctions so why not here.

Because the roundabout is so wide, many vehicles are able to come round at the same time and since they rarely indicate, you end up waiting far longer than is needed just to be safe.  Alternatively, you take a risk...............

Lets hope something is done and soon!

Liz