The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Please be careful using the NDR this morning, Both the Wroxham road and Coltishall road roundabouts have large diesel spills on them and the Wroxham road roundabout has added pea shingle..

I'm glad I'm not on the motorbike..

• 8 months later...

Is it just me or is this NDR the worst designed road in the UK? I have driven most of them over the last 50 years.

I cannot believe the designer has ever driven a car, as already mentioned, the cambers are wrong, the roundabouts themselves are like ring-roads, far too big with no ‘natural line’  when trying to keep within lanes on roundabouts.

AND who on earth decided to close the east-bound slip that allowed traffic to get to Thorpe St Andrew from the A47 and creating a major detour ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colvic said:

AND who on earth decided to close the east-bound slip that allowed traffic to get to Thorpe St Andrew from the A47 and creating a major detour ?

I can't be sure because I don't know the area but these things are usually done to either control the flow of commuter traffic or to "encourage" traffic towards a certain feature, in this case probably the park and ride. Just my observation based on experience.

I'm going to have to drive the junction of the NDR and the A47 a few times before I get the hang of that. Was down there this morning and found it so confusing to be in the right place. And of course the satnav hasn't got a clue ... thinks you're in a field!

The clue is in the title - its not meant to be a bypass as such but a road to provide the growth of new houses and industrial estates! (If we survive the pandemic!)

If you treat it like the Southern Bypass you will end up in the roadsigns and the roundabouts, just like the local boy racers do. The Thorpe bit is to encompass a new business park, which they have just starting building the first warehouse the whole of which will be surrounded by that bit of road!!!

Get it? 

We have only just started using it and its certainly confused us. Getting more used to it now, but Im on edge with other users who are obviously as confused as we were.  We saw a couple of cars parked on top of a roundabout the other weekend.  I think I would rather go back to using our old route tbh. 

• Like 1

In my view, the NDR is, in places, one of the most dangerous roads I use.  I particularly dislike the Wroxham roundabout, which seems to have been designed by a halfwit. If you get into the lane indicated as you approach from the South, you find yourself in the wrong lane and have to cross two lanes of traffic to reach the exit, both of whom think they have right of way. 

• Like 1

I've used the NDR plenty of times since I first found how to get onto it via Weston on t Green village, the residents there must be well jacked off with the amount of traffic now travelling through their village. 

I have had one very near miss when a flatbed van with a vehicle on t back of it cut me up severely, I kinda knew he was gonna do it too, if it wasn't for my 'Biker Sense' he would have got me for sure.  Nowadays when I'm driving it I take extra care on the busier roundabouts but really try not to hesitate as that in itsen can cause problems.  So far, so good

Griff

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

I particularly dislike the Wroxham roundabout, which seems to have been designed by a halfwit. If you get into the lane indicated as you approach from the South, you find yourself in the wrong lane and have to cross two lanes of traffic to reach the exit

That was almost exactly what my husband said when we were there earlier today. The temporary lights coming into Wroxham had quite a queue so on this occasion it probably didn't save us any time. 

AHH the NDR, Not for Drivers Route or from the green point of view No Damn Reason.

I know one resident of Brundall  convinced that it is really a giant cycle route.

We have the A69 which is for tractors only, well that's how they drive on a 70mph dual carriageway, but tractors use it as a drag strip, racing each other at 20mph.

Mind the A17 has to be the worst road in the world.

paul

• Like 1

We are used to roundabouts in Milton Keynes. Despite being very used to roundabouts (or maybe because) I don’t think the ones on this road are well designed, not just the camber, as someone else mentioned, but also the approach. It’s a good idea to have some feature on the roundabout, that people can’t spot in advance, not just signs warning on the approach. 

14 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Mind the A17 has to be the worst road in the world.

Isn't it just...

Mind you, I can still usually get from Norwich to Barnsley quicker via the A47/A17/A1 than going A11/A14/A1  or A47/A1 and will get much better MPG because I'm stuck behind a load of lorries at 50mph.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Isn't it just...

Mind you, I can still usually get from Norwich to Barnsley quicker via the A47/A17/A1 than going A11/A14/A1  or A47/A1 and will get much better MPG because I'm stuck behind a load of lorries at 50mph.

With the soon to open Lincoln equivalent of the NDR (lots of roundabouts), round the eastern side . It will be interesting to see if A47/ A17/ A15/ Lincoln NDR / A15 / M180 / and beyond becomes a viable route..

• Like 1

My usual route to Norfolk is the A1500 , nipping through Burton and a quick bagatelle around the cathedral to pick up the A15 the other side of Wragby Road and then the A17 and A47. The new Lincoln bypass would save me a bit of time if it were not for the fact that Ben Gunn lives in the village at one end of it and Watson lives in the village at the other end of it. This means that on any given journey to Norfolk, Ellie will have have me running errands or popping in for quick visits!:facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3