The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

No takers,  I meant proportion, not proposition :D

The latest figure is 6% nationally based on new mapping.  The figure is obviously greater for the South east but not much more than 6% for Norfolk. 

I think we get a distorted view because most of our travels are on main roads.  

The view from an aeroplane reveals the extent of the unspoilt land. 

• Like 1

At Horning on the main road, there is an outbreak of road signs, and cones, pavement work imminent. I thought there were government cutbacks, yet excluding the NDR there still are road works everywhere.

Dont forget, it's february, financial years end in april,if you dont spend your budget this year it will be reduced next year

• Like 1

BT was no different. One of my managers came onto the exchange floor and announced, "Anyone want a torch?". We all replied, "How much?", such was our suspicion of all managers. "All free", he replied, "Follow me".  He led us down to a small store room which he unlocked. Stacked from floor to ceiling were boxes and boxes of torches - and they weren't cheap rubbish. Rechargeable, with the charger built in, massive light output. In the day, they must have cost £20 each easily. Having doled out as many as we could carry (which barely scratched the surface of the stock), we asked how he'd come by them. "Hadn't spent this year's budget, and couldn't think what else to use it on. Gotta use it or I'll get cut back next year". As far as anyone knows those torches are probably still in that cupboard.

Our council is spending money again PERMANENT speed cameras have appeared on the Wroxham road, get the feeling they've been hiding extra items in the NDR budget?

The road works in Hoveton at the mini roundabouts have started, added to the usual tailbacks from Roy's pedestrian crossing it goes back a long way. I sat at the crossing in the queue and watched the lights go to the pedestrians 3 times before I moved across them and that was only at 15:30  I hate to think what it will be like at 17:00

It took me 30 minutes this morning to get from Horning to the other side of Wroxham Bridge! I could have walked it in that time almost!

First at the turning into Horning there are four way lights, that's fine but at 9 o'clock this morning the contractors were having a delivery and no traffic went in any direction for about 15/20 minutes.  I was trapped as there was no alternative route but on top of that they left the traffic on the main road have two goes of going through before they let the side turnings out!!!

Then I hit the new Hoveton X road lights and again was stuck there for some time and again it looked like they allowed the main road to have two chances of going through before they let you go - the lights are set back before the road that comes out by Roys so no chance of a short cut.............

Then in Norwich it said that Blue Boar Lane was shut somewhere along it so I decided to go through Norwich.

Then just to top my journey, the bin men were out in force in Sawbridgeworth so I was really fed up by the time I got home! (That and the fact that the things I collected from a shop in Harlow had a  fault so I had to go back to sort that out so all in all a wasted day)

Rant over!

On 27/01/2016 at 0:05 PM, Soundings said:

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Where are the speed cameras?

Who cares where the speed cameras are, drive at the LEGAL speed limit and it makes no problem. There a few members saying how much quicker they can get here to their boats, great, bugger us who live here and are going to have their lives disrupted.

If you think the NDR will make your journey quicker, forget it. When they start building the 10,000 houses by 2026 (only 10 years) they have to upgrade all the services, water, sewage etc. There will be years of roadworks. The existing services cannot cope, take the case of the paper shredding company on Rackheath industrial estate, that caught fire a few years ago highlights the problem. There was no water pressure, they had to pump water from the A1151 and bring in water tankers. The joke is they want build an eco town on the old Rackheath airfield of 4000 houses 'CAR FREE'. All totally Mickey mouse.

But never mind, if you can get to your boat ten minutes quicker, great, because the broads is a shadow of the local community it was.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Labrador said:

But will some of these pople even want to get to their boat in ten years? 20,000 additional households around Norwich by 2026. Where is the natural playground on their doorstep? I am very fearful that the old saying about the ruination of what they have come for is going to hold true for the Broads. Once the land either side of the NDR is developed the next step must be to expand either side of the A47 so the villages on the North Bank of the Yare and South Bank of the Bure will lose their identity to suburban ribbon development. For Norfolk largely unspoilt for centuries "Times they are a changing" (and not for the better)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrisB said:

But will some of these pople even want to get to their boat in ten years? 20,000 additional households around Norwich by 2026. Where is the natural playground on their doorstep? I am very fearful that the old saying about the ruination of what they have come for is going to hold true for the Broads. Once the land either side of the NDR is developed the next step must be to expand either side of the A47 so the villages on the North Bank of the Yare and South Bank of the Bure will lose their identity to suburban ribbon development. For Norfolk largely unspoilt for centuries "Times they are a changing" (and not for the better)

Some might argue that that is already happening on the Broads. 

There is an outbreak of work going on on the Coltishall road, there are large machines ripping out hedges and small trees on both sides of the road but they are in the fields so there is still no reason for the speed limits.

21 hours ago, senator said:

The A11 duelling is now a massive success, shame they took 10 years to put in the last bit through Eleveden, seems it is a feature of any major road works in Nofolk given they are going to miss a bit of this one too

True, but they are now talking of the A11 corridor for development. Looks at the plans for Thetford already.

20,000 new homes by 2026! Where are these 20,000 households living now? If they are not living around Norwich Now, where will they find the type of employment needed to finance the purchase of these type of houses. Or will they all commute to London, Cambridge etc leaving the estates empty.  A sort of Holiday Home debate in reverse!  

55 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

20,000 new homes by 2026! Where are these 20,000 households living now?

They are living in Essex! That might seem a bit harsh but you only have to go into Roys out of season to realise that the Norfolk accent is no longer the local dialect! People move out of Essex and those living in London move to Essex which allows 'other' people to move into London. 

I don't think many of the houses being built anywhere in the eastern region whether on the A11 corridor or around Norwich will be used by local people.  As to jobs some will bring them with them or they are retired or in other cases they keep a second home going 'down south' until they retire for use during the week.

Now I live in Hertfordshire in a small commuter town and near the station are many apartments, every morning suddenly close to a departure time there are throngs of people walking towards the station like ants. A work colleague lives in one and she remarked that at the weekend there isn't anyone around.

1 hour ago, w-album said:

They are living in Essex! That might seem a bit harsh but you only have to go into Roys out of season to realise that the Norfolk accent is no longer the local dialect! People move out of Essex and those living in London move to Essex which allows 'other' people to move into for use during the week.

I don't know when you last went into Roy's out of season Liz, Eastern European seems to be predominant nowadays.

I wonder how many 16-20 year olds there are living with parents in the Norwich area, 20,000 to me would not seem an unreasonable number. They are all going to need somewhere to live over the next 10 years, that is unless they are going to live their lives at Mom and Dads. 

True most will not be able to afford the new build stuff but people moving into them will free up houses further down the ladder.

• Like 1