Landlords of the past

Labrador

My grey matter is in a very bad way this morning I am really struggling with names.

David Lamprill and two partners at the Hotel Wroxham in the eighties

John Andrews at Ludham Dog 

John Lacey ? was he at the Ship before me ? and after Graham Paddon   the Norwich city and West Ham footballer.

Paul Anderson Coles has been at the Brick Kilns since the early seventies

Springsong and Labrador you are both right on my list (so far).

Ted and Daphne went on to have the Coach and Horses on Rosary Corner and Jack sadly died rather early in life, but Connie kept the pub on her own for several years after.

I don't think the pub will ever see another Patsy, though!

3 minutes ago, springsong said:

My grey matter is in a very bad way this morning I am really struggling with names.

David Lamprill and two partners at the Hotel Wroxham in the eighties

John Andrews at Ludham Dog 

John Lacey ? was he at the Ship before me ? and after Graham Paddon   the Norwich city and West Ham footballer.

Paul Anderson Coles has been at the Brick Kilns since the early seventies

John Lacey, Black Horse Barry.

Do you remember Georgie Brookes mother in law? You didn't need a guard dog with here around.

Reg Parsons, Thurne Lion and then Nelson after the dour Jeffrey died.

Reg of course how could I forget him. He still has the Nelson and lets it out.

John Lacey I don't remember him unless he was the tall chap with glasses and slicked back hair and ponced around in a camel over coat and an XJ6. I believe he also owned the Talk of the Town up Aylesham Rd.

Do I ever remember Georges Mother in law, Pat Georges wife worked for me at the Ship for awhile. The pair of them could maim one at fifty yards with one word. 

Whilst they were at the Eagle we shared the same area manager, he was banned from 12 pubs on his area, George saw him off the premises with that huge Alsation they had and his 12 bore. Probably wouldn't get away with that nowadays.

• Like 1

I admit these two are trick questions -

Jack Sursham. He had the licence for a club rather than a pub but it was a big pavilion with a large bar and dance hall. Great for Saturday nights after the Norwich pubs had closed.

John Hart. Give tham of the pub in his day.

4 minutes ago, springsong said:

Reg of course how could I forget him. He still has the Nelson and lets it out.

John Lacey I don't remember him unless he was the tall chap with glasses and slicked back hair and ponced around in a camel over coat and an XJ6. I believe he also owned the Talk of the Town up Aylesham Rd.

Do I ever remember Georges Mother in law, Pat Georges wife worked for me at the Ship for awhile. The pair of them could maim one at fifty yards with one word. 

Whilst they were at the Eagle we shared the same area manager, he was banned from 12 pubs on his area, George saw him off the premises with that huge Alsation they had and his 12 bore. Probably wouldn't get away with that nowadays.

I'd rather have faced the shotgun and dog rather than mother in law.

19 minutes ago, springsong said:

That was Geoffrey Fisher. He took it over from Jean Lacey, who kept it on after John died.

Patsy Dashwood had the Buck at Thorpe and her husband had The Bell in Norwich centre, and I think her 

daughter had the White Horse at Crostwick.

Arthur Oakley had The Broads Hotel which was then taken by the Bales family whose son bought the Lodge from Tommy Farrel and still has it to this day.

Tommy Farrel last pub before retiring was the Ber Street gates in Norwich.

Incidentally George Brooks went on to take the  Brown Derby in Norwich.

Thanks of course Broads Haven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Well done Springing. Now how about Wolff and Andrée Chater?

Something at the back of my mind about the names, but can't for the life of me put my finger on it.

Think your starboard fingers playing up again, last time I saw Barry he wasn't exactly springing.

8 hours ago, springsong said:

There was John Finlay who had the Fishermans Return at Winterton, his mother had the Lord Nelson on Reedham quay.

This possibly could be John Finlays mum? I believe this is the Lord Nelson after a refurb. I'm pretty sure I nicked this from Carol somewhere along the line, so may be in for another slap :naughty::-) 

whatpub_when_01.jpg

• Like 2