Landlords of the past

Labrador

I only went the once

I was taken there by two of the consultant engineers working on problems building Anglia square.

we had a few as you do and I thought it would be fun to start a conga

we dident realise that no one had joined on the end and as we neared the front door we were encouraged

to keep going and not return :blush:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Now there's a different story entirely.

"Tropical Linda!"

You could do another thread on her. Except she didn't wear any threads - not by the end of her act!

How that lady managed to pick up a champagne bottle with her hands clasped behind her head always puzzled me. Must have had muscles in places that I didn't, and still don't have! 

• Like 1

This should be set to fast music, but what the heck.....

There's a burlesque theatre where the gang used to go, to see Queenie the beauty of the burlesque show,

and the thrill of the evening was when up Queenie trips and the band plays the polka while she strips.

"Take it off, take it off!" cries a voice from the rear - "Take it off, take it off!" soon it's all you can hear,

But she's always a lady even in pantomime and she stops - and always just in time.

She's as fresh and as wholesome as the flowers in May and she hopes to retire to the farm some day,

but you can't buy a farm until you're up in the chips, so the band plays the polka while she strips.

"Take it off, take it off!" all the customers shout, "Take it off, take it off!" while the band beats it out,

But she's always a lady even in pantomime, and she stops - and always just in time.

Queenie, queen of them all, some day, some day you'll fall - some day, church bells will chime,

In strip polka time!

On 1/22/2016 at 5:42 PM, Vaughan said:

Right.

Here is the Anchor at Coltishall (remember it?) Sitting at the table from left to right are Jim Campbell, my father, Jamie Campbell, Vickie Campbell and me.

But who was the publican, standing behind us? I remember him well, but not his name.

56a268de023bf_ColtishallAnchor.thumb.jpe

Jamie with hair, must be an old shot!

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The hair is still there, but it went south!

Is that Jamie, or Tropical Linda?

Many, many years ago I went to a Hoseason's end of season bash at the Washington 400. All the boatyard staff sat ogling Linda's charms as she span tassels presumably glued to her nipples. Yours truly was sat in the front row when Linda leaned forward hoping that her tassels would tweek my ears. Probably blushing furiously I leaned back, clearly not what she was expecting, Linda ended up sprawled on top of me, to the laughter and cheers of the assembled masses!

• Like 4

I remember when the tassles span, they were "handed" like the props on a twin engined cruiser. One went one way and one the other. Brought to mind Roll Royce Merlins.

I like the way she would put her clothes back on and come round to the bar for a drink afterwards, saying "'allo moi darlin, are y'all right then?"

• Like 1

I've just google Tropical Linda, hoping for some pictures, and this came up:

Probably called the Sprowston Grange in earlier 
times, the Washington Hotel was opened in the 
1960s by colourful Norwich businessman 
Roy Dashwood (and see  Bell Hotel).

The hotel became famous as the gaming and 
cabaret capital of Norfolk. However, the hotel 
operated as such, and the gambling tables 
and/or cabaret were located in a separate part 
of the building, possibly added to the Grange 
by Dashwood himself. ( See  later uses ). 
The real name of this facility was the  Club 400

It was the city's own touch of Las Vegas, 
but it closed after the gaming laws changed.

Engelbert Humperdinck starred at the 
still-recalled Washington  Club  and met two of 
the great characters who worked there :
Les King and Tony Weston.

Les "Mr. Wymondham" King - in those days - 
ran the Regal Cinema, Wymondham, before 
climbing on his scooter and heading for the 
Washington; to work alongside owner
Roy Dashwood and his brother Colin.

Humperdinck - who had No. 1 hits with 
Release Me and The Last Waltz - was just 
one of the stars who appeared in cabaret at 
the Washington; where you could also gamble 
at the tables and watch exotic dancers.

The Club was probably (in)famous - above all - 
for the unique entertainment provided by 
their regular artiste known as  Tropical Linda.

They were the days!

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I remember when the tassles span, they were "handed" like the props on a twin engined cruiser. One went one way and one the other. Brought to mind Roll Royce Merlins.

I like the way she would put her clothes back on and come round to the bar for a drink afterwards, saying "'allo moi darlin, are y'all right then?"

Would have thought that Bristols rather that Merlins would have been more apt!

• Like 1

Tears are streaming down my face with laughter!!! I just had never heard of Tropical Linda but apparently my husband had although he says he never went there. Did it become the Eiger and now the racecourse or something similar or have I the wrong pub?

• Like 1

Slightly off piste but on the way to Wroxham...the Blue Boar. I am told that ole 'Frank' was a miserable g** but a total make over was made by David Turnbull who despite newspaper reports still owns the place. Well worth a visit and close to M in laws! :) I am told that the  Cottage in Thorpe had Hope I can come and see her one day?a 'celebratory' barman for awhile - Christopher Trace

2 hours ago, w-album said:

Tears are streaming down my face with laughter!!! I just had never heard of Tropical Linda but apparently my husband had although he says he never went there. Did it become the Eiger and now the racecourse or something similar or have I the wrong pub?

You have the right one.