Landlords of the past

Labrador

Ray Norman what a landlord a one off I hope he is enjoying his retirement, there will never be another like him let me tell you , if you have not been to the White Horse Upton when Ray was on form well you have missed out he was so funny such a dry hummer and so natural, amazing , a pure comedian he should have been on stage  , the old joke says there's one leaving in ten minutes haha hopefully he may read this ...

• Like 1

Rising Sun Coltishall and The Bridge Inn Acle

Bill Speed was manager at both at one time or another.

Springing has been off my agenda for 10 years now other than warps, and that's only when I can get off the boat.

Wolffe and Andree Chater I don't have a clue but I may well kick myself when you tell us Vaughan.

Tony Sands's wife ended up at the Two Friends at Bloefield Heath, now an Indian restaurant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, springsong said:

Rising Sun Coltishall and The Bridge Inn Acle

Bill Speed was manager at both at one time or another.

Springing has been off my agenda for 10 years now other than warps, and that's only when I can get off the boat.

Wolffe and Andree Chater I don't have a clue but I may well kick myself when you tell us Vaughan.

Tony Sands's wife ended up at the Two Friends at Bloefield Heath, now an Indian restaurant.

I forgot Bill.

Is it the Two Friends or Terresa is now an Indian?:party:

I think it is time I "owned up".

Wolff and Andrée had the Beauchamp Arms at Buckenham Ferry. My parents called in often, usually to stay the night on a boat and he had a small herd of Jersey cows, which he milked in the sheds behind the pub. As a boy, I would get up early and help him get the cows in. Long before pasteurisation, of course, and the taste of that fresh Jersey cream on your cornflakes is something I shall never forget. Followed by fried mushrooms, picked on the marshes. That part of the Broads was a fabulous place, and luckily it still is.

The land around was farmed by Gilbert Wright, whose son Paul is the founder of the Buckenham Sailing Club, and renowned builder of racing dinghies.

Dick Chance had the Bramerton Woods End.

Tony Loweth had the Thorpe Gardens, from the war up till the early sixties. One of the busiest riverside pubs, in those days.

George Millbank owned the Town House, and David and Geoffrey (of Jenners) were his sons. Yes it was a hotel, not a pub, but it had a club bar where all the boatyard people, from as far away as Wroxham or St Olaves, would gather for a good session on a Saturday evening, once the boats were all out on hire.

So what about Jack Sursham, and John Hart?

• Like 2

When living in South Walsham  there was a Jersey herd in the village, as you say jersey milk on cereals was nectar of the gods, and the custard coloured cream on strawberries and raspberries  was just sublime. Gerald Marjoram just down the road in Upton  had fields of strawberries, and Mr Clamp the butcher in SW had superb meats including the best pork I have ever tasted.

I remember going to the Town House in the eighties just before it became a chef and Brewer type place. I remember going for a round of drinks there and trying to have a sneaky one not realizing that it flashed up above ones head in bright red for all all including SWMBO to see.

14 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Ray Norman what a landlord a one off I hope he is enjoying his retirement, there will never be another like him let me tell you , if you have not been to the White Horse Upton when Ray was on form well you have missed out he was so funny such a dry hummer and so natural, amazing , a pure comedian he should have been on stage  , the old joke says there's one leaving in ten minutes haha hopefully he may read this ...

The Germans who went up to Winkles at lunch time. "Ve could like to have a meal tonight, do 've need to book?"

No, replies Winkle, just leave your towels on the chairs.

They found this highly amusing.

• Like 2

Right.

Here is the Anchor at Coltishall (remember it?) Sitting at the table from left to right are Jim Campbell, my father, Jamie Campbell, Vickie Campbell and me.

But who was the publican, standing behind us? I remember him well, but not his name.

56a268de023bf_ColtishallAnchor.thumb.jpe

Sounds like the real stuff Barry cheers  probably using converted kegs as I think they got rid of all their casks when they went all keg.

As I say, sorry you had a bad experience with my CAMRA colleagues,  the current Norwich branch are a great bunch and I'm sure it would be a different story now. I know they've given a lot of support to the White Horse at Neatishead for example. Maybe put it down to Watneys hangover! 

cheersbar

My two trick questions -

Jack Sursham - The Norwich Amateur Rowing Club at Whitlingham. A great place for discos in the "swinging sixties". Right out in the country and a long way from the local police. It got burned down twice! Sadly not there any more.

John Hart (of J. Hart and son, later Hearts Cruisers) was landlord of Thorpe Gardens for about 10 years. In his day it was called the Three Tuns.

Notice I refer to Thorpe Gardens - I don't regard the Rushcutters as a pub!

Now, how about Wilfred Hurrell, whose son Paul had the pub after him? Not a riverside pub, but very well known in the Broads area.

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

This really is a fascinating thread. The thing that strikes me, and it's the case all over the country not just the Broads, is that landlords were such characters in those days and you don't seem to get that now. Very sad. 

So true, the advent of the pubco has hardly helped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

This really is a fascinating thread. The thing that strikes me, and it's the case all over the country not just the Broads, is that landlords were such characters in those days and you don't seem to get that now. Very sad. 

How true Howard. If this thread was posted forty odd years hence I doubt you would get the same nostalgia, affection for the present landlords.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Simon Whitmore sounding his positron?? That wasn't my starboard finger this time.

The spell-checker on this forum has a mind of it's own!

By, the way, Wilfred Hurrell had the Green Man at Rackheath.

Ahh the Green Man, Aubrey Hudson, wonderful landlord, miserable hugger, but knew his trade.

• Like 1