What a relaxing week

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday 25th June

Again an early rise to another fantastic morning, the weather is doing us proud. Took lady for a walk on the green. When back at the boat we relaxed with a coffee and again I dropped a line over the side. before we set off it was a quick trip to the telephone to phone Emily and wish her a happy 10th birthday, with the promise of a birthday meal on Friday evening.

We then set off to our next destination, Neatishead.

It was a very nice journey to Barton broad, and as we approached we came upon a childrens trip, about 7 of them in a small boat being shown the great wildlife of the broad. As we entered the broad we kept to the left of the island and headed down what I would say is the most picturesque river on the whole system going towards Neatishead. The sun was shining through the overhanging trees and it seemed like we were the only people on earth, it was so peacfull, I throttled back to just above tickover and enjoyed it.

On arriving at the staith we had fun, as a boat was about to moor up, but one wanted to come out, all three boats manouvered, it was like one of those sliding puzzles. The boat leaving managed to get out, and we followed the other boat in to the moorings. As it was only 11:00am we just sat in the sunshine and relaxed.

As the clock struck 12, we took a steady walk to the White Horse, to wet our whistles. It was so hot sat outside again that I went into the pool room, just to find a little shade and cool down. We then decided that we would not eat, but make Sutton Staithe our location for our last night aboard, as the meals there are very good.

Thursday 25th June continued

We left Neatishead, said goodbye to the people who moored with us and off to Sutton we headed.

Agian the sun shone and the trip back down the river was perfect.

As we approached the opening to Barton, I needed to take a nature break so passed the helm to OH and said, keep inside the posts I will be back soon. When I came back she said,

Why did I have to stay inside the posts, they haven't...

post-360-136713543277_thumb.jpg

I told here why and she said "oh hope they are OK"

as we were about to leave Barton to go towards Sutton I saw this.

post-360-136713543301_thumb.jpg

My next boat from Richardsons, quite like it for two.

We then passed a boat with a just married flag, shouted congratulations and waved, and talked about our next trip, in August for our 20th aniversary. Can't wait.

We decided that we would moor as far away from the Sutton Staithe Hotel as possible to give Lady a good run, but when we got there, every space was taken. Decision time Wayford or the boat yard.

Now I have never stayed in a boatyard on the last night, so Wayford it was.

As we reached the moorings just before the bridge they were full as well, so ..........

Could we make it under.....

The sign was showing 7' 3" exactly like Beccles where I didn't want to risk it, but I know that this far up the speed of the tide is negligable, so I went to the side of the boat and bent my flag stick, just to make sure that if it hit, It would bend and not snap off, I told OH to stand at the back of the boat and shout as loud as she can "FULL ASTERN" if it looked too tight.

I went towards it as slow as I could, but still keeping steerage.

Are we OK, yes was the reply.

UNDER WE WENT,

How much room there then love, is my flag OK.

Yes, it didn't even touch it.

(I could have made it to Geldeston, but thats for another time now)

We carried on to Dilham to see if we could moor there.

Now this part of the system is so clear, I spent more time with my head out of the window looking into the crystal clear water than looking ahead, OH had that covered so all was OK.

I was watching the small roach swimming whn a pike got one, what a sight.

As we got to Dilham all moorings were full, so back to Wayford we went.

We moored at the end of the houseboats and walked over to the Wayford Hotel and had a lovely meal.

Steak pie and a ham plouhgmans. mark 8 / 10

Back to the boat and our last night aboard. so peacfull.

Enjoyed your holiday story and pictures donny thanks for sharing it with us looks like you

had a realy relaxing time thats what the broads is all about thanks :kiss

Friday 26th June.

Again awake by 6:00am to another beautiful morning. This was our last sleep aboard as we had to take the boat back to Stalham this morning.

As we were chugging back the OH (who likes to leave things as she finds them) started to clean the boat, out came the cloths/dustpan and brush etc and away she went at her task. I don't think the cleaners at Richardsons needed to do a lot to it when we got back.

I stern on moored into the quay we had come from and started to load the car up. When the guys came to check the boat over, all was in order and they began to refill the diesel tank.

How much if any of my £100 fuel deposit would I get back, we had done a heck of a journey

Stalham - beccles - oulton broad - rockland - horning - neatishead - dilham - stalham

The counter was ticking away nicely as the diesel went in, it stopped at

£47.75

meaning a refund of £52.25

Now there is an advert for not speeding, just chug along and save £££££££

With everything done (even my loyalty card filled in, 3 hols in it, only 2 more for it to be full) we set off for Potter for a coffee and to watch the world go by, before heading to the WRC to meet up with the others.

As we sat there we decided that because we hadn't been to Geldeston we would take the small detour and have a look.

Well if you have ever travelled to the Locks Inn via road, you will know how narrow the track is, I thought I would end up in a farm.

Having seen the pub, we will definitley make it one year.

Hi Geoff

Great tale, sounds like you had a brilliant time!

Dont forget to post up lots of pictures of the boat to keep us boat anoraks happy!! :naughty:

We recently did Horning to Potter, then to Stalham, then Wroxham back at a cost of £17. The guy looked at us and said "you obviously didnt go very far", when I told him he was quite suprised, so I'm definately converted to chugging along at a nice little pace - until this recession eases anyway! :grin:

All the best

Dan

When we arrived at the WRC we were greated by the rest and had a swift drink.

I booked a table big enough and asked if the birthday cake we had could be kept until after the meal, this was no problem.

Now the harsh reality hit me, myself and OH were to sleep in a small two man tent with Lady, as dogs are not allowed in the lodge, so off I went to errect the tent.

After another good meal (meal mark 9/10) the cake with candles was brought out and we all sang happy birthday, a perfect end to a perfect holiday

Saturday morning, and again awake early, it was time to leave, I hate this part, but never mind back again in 27 sleeps

THE END

EPILOGUE.

I hope you enjoyed my tale, as much as I enjoyed recounting it.

I would like to say a BIG thankyou to

James and all at the WRC for the great time my mum and nan and kids had while we were afloat

and

All staff at Richardsons (didn't meet Clive, will do next time) really nice people and a credit to the company.

Really enjoyed that Geoff, thanks. You certainly had better weather than your last tale with the hood down across Breydon if I recollect when the heavens opened!!

Looking forward to the next. What is your route plan then?

Thanks donny i did so enjoy your story and the fantastic pictures nice to here you had

a lovely time and thanks for taking the time to share it with us thanks again sweet pea :kiss