Does anyone know what it is???

Dan

Early To mid May, Mr MacMidge is still hibernating up there. August is a no no, they will bite anything that moves, but the Avon skin so soft, does help immensely. I have been up there, sadly not on the Loch, different times of the year.

September is the joys IF the weather is kind, the colours are stunning, and the midges have had their fill for the season.

Yes, it's very expensive up there, but, you just don't get scenery like that every day, IMHO.

cheersIain

Very interested in the Loch Ness information Jonzo as this is somewhere I've long wanted to go boating. However, having watched those videos, especially the first one, not any more! I suffer from sea sickness, even on a benign channel crossing and the thought of battling 4 hours of that whilst trying to stay upright and stop the contents of the boat from hitting the floor fills me with dread.

4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Very interested in the Loch Ness information Jonzo as this is somewhere I've long wanted to go boating. However, having watched those videos, especially the first one, not any more! I suffer from sea sickness, even on a benign channel crossing and the thought of battling 4 hours of that whilst trying to stay upright and stop the contents of the boat from hitting the floor fills me with dread.

Take the car up instead, it's a place worth going to see. Either drive up the A9 and see many of the Munro's, or the A82 to Fort William, then up the canals by road to Inverness. Both roads are breathtaking, but I am biased!:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 3

We were hoping to go onto the Caladonian Canal in 2013 but because we needed accommodation for  3 x double berths in comfort boats we were looking at (bearing mind this was early May) were between £3500 and £4500 for the week. We opted for a week on the Scottish Canals at £1750 all in for a narrow boat. Again somewhat more than expensive than in the UK, but I expect that there are fees paid to Scottish Canals for the use of lock keepers who do all of the work on the locks & bridges, this is done by appointment times and is somewhat restrictive. 

Regards

Alan

On 13 Feb 2016 at 8:16 PM, Dan said:

I think it is confirmation, if any was needed, that whoever decided to close their Wroxham factory should be hunted down and shot ;)

On 13 Feb 2016 at 8:33 PM, BroadAmbition said:

Not a bit surprised - Its french

This is a classic.

That is to say a classic example of what happens when traditional boat building and hiring businesses are bought up by huge international tour operators, more used to package tours to Mediterranean beaches, but who think they know better.

It's not French actually, it is Eastern European, where they can get them built far cheaper than at Wroxham or Somerleyton. When I first saw this thing, delivered new to a base in south France, it was a "hybrid" - propelled by a large electric motor which could be powered direct from solar panels, or via a large bank of batteries (if you could find a charging point) or via a large diesel generator that could somehow be electronically clutched to drive the shaft direct. When I was shown over it, it also came equipped with a Czechoslovakian technician, flown in specially to sit in the bilges, plugged into a laptop to try and find out why none of all this actually worked!

Its design leans heavily on the American "trawler-boat" type, including the extended cabin top to give shelter over the side decks. This feature - one solid moulding - is sure to be wiped off under the narrow - arched stone bridges of the canal du midi. It also had some hydraulic contraption that lowers the whole of the transom onto the quay, like a ramp.

The high freeboard is also unthinkable, complete with all-round taff-rails. Imagine going through all the locks on the French waterways and having to clamber up and down the side of that thing every time.

As it is such a large vessel, but only laid out as a two berth, I can't imagine them ever getting any return on capital but of course, they know better.

All in all this ranks (way out in front) as the most un-suitable inland waterways hire boat I have ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

I see it has a 50hp Nanni with the prop on hydraulics, and the thrusters too... so you'll have zero propulsion power when the thrusters kick in. What could possibly go wrong :naughty::naughty:

What goes wrong is that when you are going in for a stern-on mooring and using the thrusters. You then stop the thrusters and all the power goes to the prop. Bang!!!! You get all the power astern. Been there - got the hat and the tee shirt.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Picking up on this thread, I see that Le Boat are now building a further 45 of these craft for 2017, "due to overwhelming demand", including 3 new larger sizes. See photos below. 

I too thought these were ugly craft, and when boating in France two years ago, we went straight for a Norfolk built Magnifique.  As we soon discovered, France is not Norfolk, and air conditioning was essential ... so on the second year, we went for a german built Mystique, which was excellent.     Having now seen one of these Horizons in the flesh, I can also see their attraction !

Back on the Broads, we still own our Powles 36 centre cockpit cruiser, which we are very happy with, so i guess its horses for courses ...

Interior Horizon.jpg

Horizon.jpg