3G Coverage maps

:grin: Looking at that it seems T-mobile and Orange have the best coverage on the Broads, and as I'm getting a Dongle soon for my notebook, I'd be interested to know what network is actualy the best one for on the Broads,, :?

:grin: Looking at that it seems T-mobile and Orange have the best coverage on the Broads, and as I'm getting a Dongle soon for my notebook, I'd be interested to know what network is actualy the best one for on the Broads,, :?

Me too Mowjo. I have been looking to get a mobile dongle, so when the kids are on their school holidays we can spend more time on the boat, but I can still work (being self employed that is quite important!). I have heard, though, that on the Broads broadband simply isn't reliable at the moment.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have been looking to get a mobile dongle, so when the kids are on their school holidays we can spend more time on the boat, but I can still work (being self employed that is quite important!). I have heard, though, that on the Broads broadband simply isn't reliable at the moment.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

It depends very much on which provider you go with, and what area of the Broads you are likely to be frequenting. The maps I linked to should give you an idea, but you'll notice that outside of Norwich, 3G (mobile broadband) coverage is very poor. I imagine dongles will fall back to GSM/Edge when there is no signal. This has the advantage of being much more widely supported, but much slower speeds. If you are just checking emails though, this should be sufficient.

My T-Mobile dongle worked fine for me from Wroxham, but that might have been because it was picking up the Wi-fi access from MacDonalds, which is a feature of the package i have, to be able to pick up wi-fi hotspots via the dongle, which i believe is normally an add-on costing around eight pounds a month :)

Julz :wave

If you are just checking emails though, this should be sufficient.

Hi Pete,

That's just the problem for me, in that most of my internet requirements are to email quite large drawing files back and forth, normally 1-2 Mb. On dial-up speeds that just isn't practical at the moment.

Orange and T-Mobile seem to have the most purple splotches in the Norther Broads area, but it looks like being able to work from the boat for a few days at a time is still a little way off yet :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a Vodaphone mobile now since i found Orange signals crap around 2 years ago,i could not even get a signal in my living room so i changed and most places on and around the broads it works ,only place where it can be a bit patchy is Horning but that goes for most providers.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jill

my sister tried T Mobile when we was moored at Loddon but couldn't get a sodding thing but since having vodafone she picked it up qwite well in Loddon. while on our two week holiday there wasn't a place where we dint get a single it can be slow at time but its better than being kept out of the loop :grin::grin:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

:grin: Jill! I went with Vodaphone, the only place I couldn't get a connection was at Horning opposite the Pub, it was a bit slow most of the time but it got there in the end, I found it better if I sat in the cockpit, the higher I was the better the connection,,

Frank,,,