Boat Safety & Bulkhead Lining

Timbo

A week down with Royal Tudor and a bulkhead has had to be replaced. This is the bulkhead which sits side on to the cooker and the original was lined with formica...a horrible red formica. Is there any regulation within the boat safety that requires this bulkhead to be lined with anything in particular...or does it have to be lined at all? Can I use stainless or something similar? And does it have to be that horrible red, spattered with 56 years of grease, colour?

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

....... Is there any regulation within the boat safety that requires this bulkhead to be lined with anything in particular...or does it have to be lined at all? Can I use stainless or something similar?......

The BSS guidance on the subject is at 8.4.1 in the guide:

"Check all appliances and all their surrounding surfaces for signs of heat damage and leaking fuel. Appliances and all their surrounding surfaces must not show signs of:

• scorching, blistering or discolouration; or,
  • fuel leakage; or,
  • smoke or soot deposits; or,
  • heat damage or deterioration to appliance structure"

from http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

I agree, stainless steel sheet makes a nice clean job, I always replace the cooker linings with it in all my boats.

cooker linings.jpg

18 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I con't recall exactly what the regulation distance is. Basically, you need flame protection within a given distance of any open gas appliance. This must be a non-combustible material - formica is combustible. However, cermaics, glass and metal are perfectly acceptable. 

The BSS regulations for private boats are the ones I posted earlier on this thread.

There is however a minimum distance in the BSS for non-private boats, but in fact they do specifically regard Formica as being acceptable as a fire retardant when fixed vertically.

"It's recommended that there is a gap of at least 25mm (1ins) between an appliance and any surface which is likely to reach 50oC or above. Laminated plastic, e.g. 'Formica', can be accepted as a fire retardant when fixed in a vertical position."

from http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-8-appliances,-flueing-ventilation/installation-of-cooking-appliances/

(I still prefer stainless steel or thick aluminum myself though.)

Beat me to it FairTmiddlin........

Yes, "engine turning", as it's usually referred to.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=engine+turning&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-weue74jLAhUH2hoKHaEHCD4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1454&bih=778&dpr=0.9#imgrc=2nhXwq_4VFV3FM%3A

I use it a lot with my DIY projects when I'm using salvaged aluminum and stainless with a less than perfect surface, to save having to buff too much thickness off.

Like the lifting rudder on my kayak:

engine turning.jpg

6 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

You could always nail Uncle Alberts wife to the bulkhead. 

Ex-wife Doug! Ex-wife! Unlike the 'short' medium on Poltergeist when I declare 'this house is clean' I make sure the shagnasties don't come swarming back! Besides which although, she has demonstrated an extremely thick skin it would be like having Lez Dawson tacked to the side of the cooker. It might put me off me dinner! Every time I put the kettle on there would be Widow Twankey gurning at me!

I've sourced some aluminium and stainless steel splashbacks that I can cut to size so I will pick some up on my way down to RT on Monday. Thanks guys!

48 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Hmmm - well that'd be a first I spose (For me anyroadup)         I'm currently on with tiling natural slate tiles to a clients kitchen walls - pig of a job - wish I'd never started it!

Griff

A good excuse to head to Norfolk once the job is completed:party:

cheersIain