Concerto from 21st March

Tempest

We had already booked our summer trip to Norfolk for August 2016, but thought we couldnt wait that long so are back again on Monday 21st March for a week on Concerto from Richardsons at Stalham

Travelling this time with Julie and I are just our 2 Newfoundlands Cooper and Gigi and our "loose" itinerary is Ludham Bridge Monday night, Wroxham Tuesday, through the bridge in the morning and Colitshall Wednesday, back through the bridge in the morning, Salhouse Thursday, Good Friday at the Bridge Inn, Womack Water Saturday and then up to Sutton Staithe for our last night

This is were you guys and gals can help.

We have never been over Easter before and wondered are we missing a trick somewhere as you know of an event, live music a meet or otherwise that we should try.

Thanks in advance

Warren, Julie, Cooper and Gigi

• Like 1

Also (if you haven't already found it) there is a thread entitled 'What's on' by a member called Bob, all about live music in pubs etc, I think he updates on a monthly basis, too

We have hired Concerto, a smashing Boat, loads of open plan living space in the saloon, you'll love it (I don't think you will want to get off the Boat to visit anywhere lol) and I think your planned route is amazing, have a lovely time :wave

Grace

• Like 2

I agree with Grace on the boat, I hired Concerto 5 last September and loved it in the main. Have a look at my review if you haven't done so already http://thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/8547-concerto/. My only gripe was the bunks cabin which isn't suitable for tall adults in my view and headroom along the main walk way is a bit rubbish. That saloon-galley area is fab though.

Personally I never fix stopping points as I like more flexibility than that but hopefully there'll be mooring space at all your chosen stops. I've found Sutton tough to find a space at recently though we did manage on our last night to squeeze in at Sutton Staithe boatyard.

WP_20150909_16_55_57_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

Totally agree re the bunk beds cabin, our boys were only tiny when we hired her, they fitted in nicely, definitely not for adults though, I didn't have a problem with the walk way, but then I am only five foot three (nearly four lol), but I think the saloon and galley open plan area more than makes up for it, it is one hell of a Boat for what you pay

We also don't plan a route, just go where the fancy takes us but Tempests route is pretty much every place we adore North side and some great walks for the dogs at Ludham, Salhouse and Coltishall, hire a dinghy, great fun and brilliant for mud weighting and rowing to a bank for the kids and dogs to let off some steam, whatever 'floats your boat', as long as there are no sailie thingys zig zagging all over the place, it's a piece of cake:gracie:

Grace

• Like 3

Cake? Who said cake? One of the best parts of the whole holiday is cake and coffee on the boat moored up watching the world go by.

I do tend to have a preferred first night destination in mind plus a few places I would like to get to - we have our favourites but there are still moorings we haven't stopped at yet, mostly because they're usually full!

• Like 2

If not Chocolate, lemon drizzle every time for me, Jean, I'm sure it was the little shop and café at the back of the Ferry Inn Stokesby that I had some lemon drizzle to die for, who cares about 'a moment on the lips is a life time on the hips', eat cake and go for a long walk, I say lol

Sorry Tempest, for going off topic but mention cake to some of us ladies on here, all sensible discussion goes out the window :rolleyes:

Grace

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ahhh, carrot cake is one of my favourites. Can anyone suggest anywhere on the broads where I can buy REALLY good cakes?

Lidl at Lowestoft sell a good carrot cake. The Adnam's cafe at Southwold sells a truly excellent, even exquisite one. Okay, not exactly waterside unless you go through Oulton Broad Lock!

The cake shop at Reedham looked closed when we were there last year.

Here's where I stock up on holiday cake

Goodie's Farm Shop on the A140 on the way up if you're coming from Essex.

Co-op Truly Irresistible cakes are good so be sure to find the Co-op at the top of the hill in Loddon

The tea room in Ludham opposite the church round the corner from the pub. Very delicious very fresh food - we had a lovely lunch there when we visited last August. Better than the pub in my humble opinion.

Apologies for going off topic but perhaps the Family Tempest may need to know where to moor to stock up. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not long now!

The dogs have been bathed, Julie is putting her Tesco, Stalham shopping list together and me............ well I am the driver!!!

The only real definitive plans we have now is Good Friday we want to meet 2 friends from Norwich for a few drinks and a meal at the Bridge Inn, Acle 

We will probably be moored for around 3pm, so wondered if it was OK just to turn up or book a meal for the evening with it being Good Friday?

Cant wait for Monday morning now and our journey which we are quite used to by now along the A1, A47 and A17

Think it might be Ludham Bridge for the first night after a couple of stops at Barton Turf and How Hill and still want an evening at Coltishall, and now we are leaning towards an evening at Salhouse as its so quiet and the dogs do love a good swim, but other than that no real plans, just fun!

Ohh yes and we will look out for the cakes!!!

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, MauriceMynah said:

Ahhh, carrot cake is one of my favourites. Can anyone suggest anywhere on the broads where I can buy REALLY good cakes?

youd have to go a long long way to beat the earsham street café bungay

they are happy to sell cakes to take away to.

http://www.earshamstreetcafe.co.uk/

http://www.earshamstreetcafe.co.uk/pages/regular-cakes.php

22 minutes ago, Tempest said:

We will probably be moored for around 3pm, so wondered if it was OK just to turn up or book a meal for the evening with it being Good Friday?

If it was me, I would phone The Bridge Inn asap just to be on the safe side. Its always busy there!

cheersIain

• Like 3

Hi Tempest

As our friends have already said above, phone ahead and book asap, we have been in there and standing room only on a week day. You may be better to have a late lunch or early dinner maybe 4ish (after lunch time rush and before dinner rush) that's what we do, gives you plenty of time to watch the sunset with a bottle of wine on the Boat after cheers

Grace

• Like 3