BA campaigns against engine running

Polly

Jonzo, the BA would probably provide a supply for burgee bundling.

Peter, the title of the thread was a Freudian slip :D

The article said that 8pm to 8 am were key times but that running the engine at any time was an offence, (when not under way, Peter!)

Anyone got a link to that newsletter? Cant seem to find it.

How does the engine running for those with generators work? More and more posh boats are being made with no gas so the only way to get a cuppa (night or day) is to spark up the genny.

Dont get me wrong i'm all in favour of thinking how running an engine offends or annoys people, but in the end we are all there to enjoy ourselves.

I do sympathise with anyone who ends up down wind of a smelly diesel engine, but we cant all expect holiday makers or owners to want to rough it like a few of you do - A holiday is to enjoy, not to be torture.

It's no different to camping or caravaning and without hook ups they would all have their generators going as well - not like the old days eh!!  

Thanks Trevor - it didn't work, but got me to the point I could navigate to the right article.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/715731/Broad-Sheet-Feb-2016.pdf

The exact wording is below and something I didn't know then (thanks Polly for pointing it out).

Running engines at moorings during the day or night is a byelaw offence subject to a maximum fine of £1,000 plus costs. It is a particular disturbance between 8pm and 8am

I guess it still begs the question are generators included in this? Surely though if it's a byelaw offence, it's an offence, whatever time of night or day you run them so the last part is a pointless statement? Or is it maybe £500 at 2pm. but £1000 at 2am?

I see I will also be buying them a bit of a new radar gun as well. Hope they use it.two guns

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

I see I will also be buying them a bit of a new radar gun as well. Hope they use it.two guns

Yes Mark, it's for all those yachts speeding during the Three Rivers Race! :naughty:  They coud make a killing on a windy day!

Back to the topic, don't new laws, if this is one, require discussion by all involved first? If I was not on a forum, or not told at the boatyard, and knew nothing about the signs, HOW would I know, being a hirer?

cheersIain

cheersIain

We recently had this revelation:

EDP%20Island.jpg

If you read it, or have read it, you'll have seen that Dr Packman is concerned for the reputation of the Authority. Well, as I understand it, according to my copy of the regulations, there is no bylaw in place to substantiate the 20.00 to 08.00 ban on running engines. I am sure that the BA could legally enforce various conditions in relation to its 24hr moorings but can it insist at other moorings? Is this 'new' bylaw a bluff, or is it real? Won't do much for the Authority's reputation if this is only bluff, if they can't substantiate a prosecution.

Would the BA bluff? Well, they tried it over the moorings by the Beccles Bypass Bridge, on that they eventually backed off. Now, don't get me wrong, I would wholly support such a regulation or bylaw, 'tis long over due, but is bluffing the way?  If it is actually a bylaw, does it apply to private moorings? That could be something of a contentious issue for some folk if it does.

I can see this one backfiring and further ridiculing the Authority, despite it being well intended. 

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We recently had this revelation:

EDP%20Island.jpg

If you read it, or have read it, you'll have seen that Dr Packman is concerned for the reputation of the Authority. Well, as I understand it, according to my copy of the regulations, there is no bylaw in place to substantiate the 20.00 to 08.00 ban on running engines. I am sure that the BA could legally enforce various conditions in relation to its 24hr moorings but can it insist at other moorings? Is this 'new' bylaw a bluff, or is it real? Won't do much for the Authority's reputation if this is only bluff, if they can't substantiate a prosecution.

Would the BA bluff? Well, they tried it over the moorings by the Beccles Bypass Bridge, on that they eventually backed off. Now, don't get me wrong, I would wholly support such a regulation or bylaw, 'tis long over due, but is bluffing the way?  If it is actually a bylaw, does it apply to private moorings? That could be something of a contentious issue for some folk if it does.

I can see this one backfiring and further ridiculing the Authority, despite it being well intended. Claiming it is a bylaw offence with a £1,000.00 fine is one thing, backing it up with an actual bylaw might not be so easy. Can any of you show me the relevant bylaw, one with the times specified?

JM, funny but I cant find that one either!

The link I used to the bylaws from the BA web site - http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/399230/Navigation_Byelaws_1995-1.pdf

And bylaw 67 reads -  The master of a moored vessel shall not cause the engines of the vessel to be worked or the vessel to be operated in such a way that damage is, or is likely to be, caused to any part of the mooring place to which the vessel is secured.

Not a jot about disturbing anyone's sleep! I can feel a memo to the BA coming on.

Anti social maybe, but a bylaw?

• Like 1

I have dropped them a note (not to Trudi though) asking for directions to find the offending bylaw. No problem if a few others do the same?

I think we all agree the principle is sound, but making up a bylaw (if it has been) is pathetic.

And sorry Iain, never thought I would see your name and £1,000 in the same post, let alone on the same website!!:bow

• Like 1

Navigation Byelaw 84?  "The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person." 

Or 85?  "The master of a vessel shall ensure that no musical instrument, television or radio receiver or any other apparatus aboard the vessel is used in such a way that it causes nuisance or gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person." (my italics and underline)

Whilst neither is specifically about moorings, they could be applied there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Navigation Byelaw 84?  "The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person." 

Or 85?  "The master of a vessel shall ensure that no musical instrument, television or radio receiver or any other apparatus aboard the vessel is used in such a way that it causes nuisance or gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person." (my italics and underline)

Whilst neither is specifically about moorings, they could be applied there.

No mention of times in that one? Or have I missed it?

No, there's no mention of times, but the key test in law would be the definition of "reasonable grounds for annoyance".  Let's imagine a boat with young children on board whom the parents had put to bed at, say, 8.00pm, who were then woken by an engine running at 9.00pm ... if I were one of the parents I think I'd be pretty annoyed, and that annoyance might be deemed 'reasonable'.  I'd also be annoyed if someone woke me up early in the morning, and I think that would be deemed 'reasonable' too.

I see it a bit like what I'd consider reasonable at home; if my next door neighbour took to mowing his lawn with a petrol mower at 5.00am I think that would be unreasonable, but I don't think I could fairly complain if he did it mid afternoon.  

• Like 1

I may have missed something, but like many other "offences" taking place at night, I cannot really see how it will be practical to take proceedings against the offenders. A boat engine may be running next to us on a mooring say 9pm, there may be a number we can ring to report it. Is someone going to attend and enforce the byelaw? The chances are that by the time anyone arrived, the nuisance will have stopped, so probably no-one will arrive. BA may have a word the next day if they can trace the boat, but unlikely they will actually be able to impose any penalty or take them to court, I can see the reason for the humorous comments in some of the above comments. I get very frustrated when laws and bye laws are passed then they become totally unenforceable, the law makers bring the law into disrepute  by passing such. It seems that gone are the days when laws were kept just because they were laws. Now it is:"no-one is looking so it's O.K." Or "I don't see the harm...."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LadyPatricia said:

Just turn you music up, that does the trick. Cliff Richard booming out full volume usually drowns out their engine noise and 8 out of 10 tend to move on somewhere else :naughty:

cheers 

Steve

Hi Steve,

A noisy engine or Cliff, an easy choice, I would settle for the engine, at least it will not keep saying you how many decades it had been in the charts:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 4