This is why we have a boat.....

Jupes

Perfect if you have a swing keel as one of the club members did at the Wrabness BBQ at the weekend. They moored their Southerly to a buoy that drys at LW and just took the ground.

They were even giving the 'bottom' a scrub a low water... saves going to scrubbing posts :Sailing

Well thought out passage plan, draft 7', depth not much, ideal time of entry ebbing tide? Perfect if you enjoy the solitude of a bbq on a mud bank.

Perfectly thought out passage plan actually, plenty of depth if I arrived before a calculated time,

got across the bar and then stayed in the channel up to Tichmarsh.

What I regard as "not much depth", has sufficient safety factor to allow me to get through safely

with a good amount of clearance, my watching the depth was to make sure that I still had the calculated clearance,

as considering how old the survey data on the chart was there was a risk of further silting that hadn't been reported in NM's, and I hadn't been in there before.

If there had been a significant swell, or I didn't get there by the required time, or I found that I didn't have my safety factor

then there would still have been time to invoke the "fail-over" and end up back in Suffolk instead.

A :Sailing life is a lot simpler in the Med!

Martin

it was just getting to near the keel for comfort

when I was coming in against the ebb with a boat that needed about 7 feet of water.

Sorry Martin, my mistake, assumed that if you were getting closer than you would like that it was less than your anticipated depth of water and that running up unfamiliar water where there was a suspicion of further silting, may have been better on a flooding tide allowing you to float off if something went not quite right.

Will be playing around the back waters and up the Deben to Woodbridge in a couple of weeks so could well be reporting on the comfort of the mud banks, will be doing it with the tide up my chuff though so that I don't have to report on whether the boat will recover from being totaly on its side when the water comes back.

Shouldn't be a problem with only 3' of draft but I am more than capable of getting it totaly wrong. cheersbar

Ian

Will be playing around the back waters and up the Deben to Woodbridge in a couple of weeks so could well be reporting on the comfort of the mud banks, will be doing it with the tide up my chuff though..

Shouldn't be a problem with only 3' of draft but I am more than capable of getting it totaly wrong. cheersbar

Ian

Ian, we are all more than capable of getting it totally wrong, and I reckon the important thing is to know that we are...

Slipping into the backwaters for a Saturday night in Tichmarsh during a weekend was interesting,

and a good test for my tidal calculations (don't have to do much of that in Greece).

Going up the Deben looks interesting but is not something I would be in any great hurry to do myself, I know my limitations!

Looking at charts with comments on them like "Entry should only be attempted with local knowledge"

sort of makes me go somewhere else...

My next trip out of the Orwell is 22nd/23rd August. Time to dig out the almanac and work out whether we go anywhere or just do two day-sails and go back into Woolverstone for the Saturday night.

Think Fred Drift has probably worked hard here and possibly time to start a new thread in the offshore area to discuss the navigation of the Orwell.

There are a couple of locals down there that I am sure could fill in all the blanks.

Ian

Good idea Ian, mind you you might not get a lot of response for a couple of weeks,

"Looking at charts with comments on them like "Entry should only be attempted with local knowledge"

sort of makes me go somewhere else..."

The Deben is one of my favourites and not a problem provided you download the latest entry chartlet from Fox's site or others and pay strict attention to the bouyage from there up river.