A different kind of Broadland experience for us

Gramps

A few years ago my wife decided that she was not mobile enough for boating holidays on the Broads anymore  and so I have been getting my annual fix by boating with my son and some of my grandsons each October, something we will continue whilst I am fit enough to clamber aboard, or until they decide on different types of holidays.

I have, to me, a landmark birthday coming up and was asked how I would like to celebrate the occasion, a party? a meal somewhere special? my reply was a self catering holiday near the Broads. I was amazed when SWMBO said what a good idea, and so two weeks today I will be starting a week long holiday in a riverside cottage in Horning. Another item crossed off the bucket list.

The Plan of action is, weather permitting, fishing the last two days of the season, then visiting some of our favourite places in Broadland, and possibly visiting Norwich at least once (it is 40 years since we were last there)

This is where I need a little advice, Horning is isolated as far as public transport is concerned so visits to Norwich will be by car, I seem to recall a Park and Ride system near Sprowston, is it still there and does it operate all year?

Secondly a day on the river on my actual birthday would be perfect and I was thinking of a picnic boat because they have all weather protection. Has anyone hired one of these type of boats? if so what is access like for less mobile passengers.

• Like 4

Park and ride at Sprowston is operational, as is the the park and ride at Thorpe St Andrew. Bring your bus pass.

As for picnic boats, what a good idea. Several choices available. JB boats at Horning. If you really want to give your pension another whack (always assuming of course you qualify) try the Ferry Marina for the ultimate picnic boat. A Haines picnic boat, will cost you though, but eh! worth every penny.

Failing that try Whispering Reeds at Hickling. I think the boat is called the Bittern. Explore Hickling and Horsey and beyond. Unforgettable.

Andrew

• Like 3

Thanks Andrew, didn't think my bus pass would be valid on the P & R  but i never leave home without it anyway. As for my pension taking a whack it will be worth every penny, and i do like your suggestions regarding the other side of PH not been that side for more than 40 years.

• Like 1

Depending on what day you visit Norwich you may find plenty of space in the town centre car parks, there's quite a few, castle mall is right in the centre although can be a bit busier. I think the forum is the other but that's a little further out. I don't think they are overly expensive either. 

Other than the boats Andrew has mentioned I'd recommend Marthams day boat (http://www.marthamboats.com/day-craft/motor-launches ) lots of character. Although a bit of a trek from Horning it's well worth spending a day that side of the bridge :)

Have a brilliant trip though :)

cheers 

• Like 4

You can get a regular (daytime) bus service from Wroxham to Norwich First service 12 or Konnect service 53 (been there got the T Shirt) I belive Sanders coaches took over the old Stalham Ludham, Horning route. I'll have a look. It certainly was possible to get a bus from Horning but the stop is at Mill Hill near the main road so it's a bit of a walk from the river. 

The lovely Wendy at Horning cars will take you into the centre of Norwich for around 16 quid. 

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

• Like 3

Not sure how mobile your good lady is. There are loads of very nice little cafe type places in the Lanes area of Norwich. This is roughly between the Market/st Giles Street and St Bennedicts/St Andrews St. The area is quite compact but much is pedestrianised and there are some steep hills. 

You also have Wetherspoons at one end of the scale and there are some posh restaurants depending on how far you want to push the boat out!

For cheap and cheerful the Wetherspoons Bell Hotel is very handily placed next to the Castle Mall and handy for the Market and major stores such as Debenhams and Marks and Spencers. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it, if you fancy somewhere to a bit more special for your lunch you could try the Maids Head Hotel in Tombland. Close to the cathedral and steeped in history it would make a very pleasant setting and although not cheap it shouldn't break the bank. Just a thought. 

There are plenty of good pubs too - the Murderers on Timberhill is near the main shopping areas and a pleasant old interior. There's the Sir Garnet right next to the Market too. .

The Vine on Dove Street is renowned for its Thai food if that's your thing. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few decent eateries around Tombland.  The Spice Lounge near the Maid's Head does a cracking curry.  

The Waffle House is popular with many, although we have not tried it.  Otherwise, Jamie Olivers is nice for lunch.

Bit further afield: The Swan at Ingham is one of our favourites - really very, very good.

• Like 1

My advice for Norwich would be to make sure that you pick up a visitor's map of the town centre somewhere. When we visited last summer we would have got completely lost wandering around if we hadn't taken this with us. Our best find was a shop selling handmade chocolates which was in an arcade somewhere. And John Lewis was our place for afternoon cake and coffee ... funny how often my posts find their way back to the subject of cake! ;)

• Like 2

Plenty of choice by the look of things sounds as if a couple of days will be needed if we can stand the hustle and bustle of the city for that amount of time. Map purchase will be top of the list, we village dwellers can easily get lost when confronted by big towns, one reason I will not be travelling all the way by car the first time.

Once again thanks for the advice. Will post a brief write up here of our experiences in due course

Ron

• Like 4

I wouldn't be concerned about driving into Norwich.  It's one of the only places in Norfolk where you are unlikely to whizz around a corner and come nose to nose with a Massey Ferguson or John Deere.  

There's oodles of parking signposted.  For example, the car park (cash and flash) at the Adam and Eve, cut through the Cathedral grounds into The Close and you pop out at Tombland.

3 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I wouldn't be concerned about driving into Norwich.  It's one of the only places in Norfolk where you are unlikely to whizz around a corner and come nose to nose with a Massey Ferguson or John Deere.  

There's oodles of parking signposted.  For example, the car park (cash and flash) at the Adam and Eve, cut through the Cathedral grounds into The Close and you pop out at Tombland.

Thanks for that Liberty I think we will use the bus on the first visit to the shops then take the car so that we can visit other places of interest.

Was not very often but Blue boar pub  was our local favourite . Me and brothers spent many hrs in the beer garden playing. Can't believe sprowston has a park ride. I suspect it's been built on something we use to play on as kids . Can't stop change two guns:bow

On 28 February 2016 at 7:51 PM, w-album said:

Just south of the p&r in Sprowston is the Blue Boar, well worth a visit as it is my alternative local when in Norfolk 

46 minutes ago, Seriously said:

Was not very often but Blue boar pub  was our local favourite . Me and brothers spent many hrs in the beer garden playing. Can't believe sprowston has a park ride. I suspect it's been built on something we use to play on as kids . Can't stop change two guns:bow

It was built on pretty non descipt fields to be honest just close to where the dip in the road was filled in in the 70s