Beers You Have Tried

Thought I would see if we could collect some pictures of some brews people have tried? I am sure Mr Nog will be along to add his many pictures as well.

A couple I tried last week in NY. The Yanks do seem to have a bit of a beer love going on with quite a few decent "micro" breweries producing some half decent beers. What is also nice is they have some very pretty glasses as well. I did like the idea of the All day IPA!!

The Indian River was a tad lively, but quite drinkable all the same.

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.76db8ec3cea3d5e8d20fbIMG_0185.thumb.JPG.7e2027d9b46ebb8281c18

• Like 3

That's fascinating and good to see Mark. We tend to think of Americans drinking Bud and Millers and such rubbish. Think Homer Simpson with his Duffs beer can! It's really pleasing to see these micro breweries springing up and producing beers with some flavour to them. 

I keep banging on about Norfolk beers for the same reason. There are now over 40 small breweries in Norfolk proving some superb beers all with individual flavours. Names like Lacons, S & P, Buffeys , Humpty Dumpty, Winters, Wolf, Beeston, Panther, Grain, Norfolk Brewhouse, Jo C's - the list goes on and on. Try drinking the superb S &  P First Light and you will never touch Woodfordes again, I promise cheersbar

And of course over the 'border' you have the superb Green Jack Brewery :-)

• Like 3

I always look out for a beer I haven't heard of or tried wherever I go in the world - it took me a few days to ween the others with us who insisted on going to Irish bars to drink Guiness in NY!!!! Mind you we did raise a glass to the late Father Jack and what a more fitting toast than a drop of Bushmills Whiskey.

Mind you they are Geordies and we did find Newcastle Brown on tap - apparently you cant even get it on tap in Newcastle!!

By day 3  I had them on the micro beers, but wasted time in my opinion.

I shall look out for the S&P (any idea where I might find it?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

I shall look out for the S&P (any idea where I might find it?).

Superb beer Mark. Probably almost impossible to find on the Broads sadly even though it's only brewed a few miles away. The Red Lion at Coltishall would be the best bet otherwise the Leopard and Kings Head in Norwich stock it regularly, the Plasterers And Lord Roseberry could be worth a look too. 

I had the pleasure of drinking it in the Leopard very recently and I have to say it's one of the finest beers I have drunk in Norfolk (in my humblest opinion of course) 

The great thing about all these excellent drinks we have been talking about is that they do have individuality and it would be very boring if we all drank the same thing, bit like 1984 :naughty:

I hear what your saying - all beers are equal, but some are more equal than others:bow

Do you spend all your spare time going into Norfolk pubs? I live here and have not been in even a small proportion of the ones you have tried! I must get out more.

• Like 2

Pictured a fine pint of S & P in the Leopard. :-)

Hi Mark 

Ha ha, I suppose I'm just a Norfolk anorak. :-) the pubs in Norwich are so much better than the ones on my Manor, although there are some excellent ones in the likes of York and Huddersfield 

I think I've been in pretty much every pub in Norwich worth going in. As mentioned I love the Leopard and the Kings Head plus the Beehive and of course the Fat Cats. I'm also fortunate in having the Norwich CAMRA pubs officer as a good friend too. cheersbar

2016-02-19_14.36.06.jpg

• Like 2

Mind you they are Geordies and we did find Newcastle Brown on tap - apparently you cant even get it on tap in Newcastle!!

That's true Mark (and no hardship in my eyes) it's a good few years now since the. Scotish & Newcastle brewery closed and was re developed

we have some great micro breweries and smaller breweries in the area now such a Mordues and Durham Breweries.

(Workie Ticket & Prince Bishop are a couple of my favourites)

New ones seem to be springing up all the time

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

especially those plastic ones,

I agree JM, its a skill carrying FOUR on one of those cardboard trays at a test match and NOT spill a drop! :party::clap I did like the look of the plastic ones though with handles I saw at the South African Test matches on TV.

cheersIain.

I for one love the way that brewing has gone over the last few years. Lots of small breweries with high quality products serving local markets. Just what is needed imho. It is great that people can talk about beers that I have never heard of.

Yes, you can still get Doom Bar in Kent and Norfolk, but the great thing is that you have much more choice these days in many pubs.

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

My local is the 'Harvey Arms' in Finningley village, My favourite tipple is a beer going by the name 'Vulcan' when it first arrived as a guest beer, some said it would never 'Take Off' it is now a permanent fixture but annoyingly often runs out when I switch to  . . . . Doombar!

Griff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Where are the mods when you need them to remove these offensive doombar posts:bow

Here was me thinking it was a poorly lit bar! Mark.:naughty: I have sampled it, well after 8 plus hours driving, so would you! :naughty:

cheersIain

Started drinking beer a couple of years before Red Barrel etc reared their ugly heads. I could have been put off for life especially as my Broads' beer experience at the time was Bullards and Lacons (one was OK but the other was foul - can't remember which). Then I went to work in Manchester on evening shifts and discovered Boddingtons (brewed in Salford) and Hydes (brewed in Manchester). Both John Smiths and Sam Smiths were good beers in those days.

By the eighties my local was Tetleys. Unfortunately they were supplied from the old Walkers brewery in Warrington and the beer was very variable; we used to really enjoy when they were on strike and the beer was then supplied by Tetleys brewery in Yorkshire.

Late 1990s we holidayed for a few years near St Minver and had some excellent Sharp's beers in local pubs - can't remember if any of them was Doombar.

Three years ago I spent a month on the Leicester canal ring and passed through Burton on Trent and was saddened to see the Bass brewery sign had been replaced by Coors.

My tastes have changed in recent years to the paler blonde beers and on a hot day at Geldeston a couple of years ago I really enjoyed an orange wheat beer.

I rarely dislike a beer - anything is better than the keg days of Red Barrel; although I did have a completely tasteless pint of Endeavour at Cantley a few years back.

Roy 

• Like 3

Sadly the style of beer I like the most seems to have dissappeared. I like a rich brown beer reasonably bitter but not too much, full bodied yet not over strong. About 4% is right for me. Beers such as Fullers London pride, Adnams Broadside, and even Shepeard Neams Spitfire are ones I look for.

However, what has taken over these days are beers that have what I hear discribed as Elderflower aftertastes. Beers such as the Woodfordes range. Humpty Dumpty beers sadly seem much the same.

I went into the White Horse Neatishead last year on one occasion and couldn't find a single beer I liked, quite an acheivment for an establishment of that type.

So to all brewers I ask... Please don't forget those of us who prefer the more traditional beers.

Having always been a lager lout I have recently started to try the lighter  IPA type beers that's seem to be getting more common.  My favourites at the moment are Adnams Ghost ship and Redwells Steam lager which is more of a beer than a lager and defiantly worth a try and found in the best pub on the broads at the moment White horse Neatishead.

Regards John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

So to all brewers I ask... Please don't forget those of us who prefer the more traditional beers.

MM keep a watch out for Caledonian 80/- ale its I think 4.1% and possibly to your taste. Its even not bad in a can!:naughty::facepalm:

cheersIain