Beers You Have Tried

55 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I seem to remember drinking S & P back in the 80s and 90s - would that be right?

Different breweries, same name :-) The original Steward and Patteson brewery in Norwich brewed it's last beer in 1970 after having been taken over by the dreaded Watneys. Some of the brewery offices still remain on Barrack Street and although most of the brewery has been demolished. 

In the 80s 90s the Norwich Brewery (as Watneys Became) produced a reproduction Bullards Mild and an S and P bitter. We this will be the one Vanessan refers to I think. Barry will know better on these as he used to sell both beers at the Ship.

However a new micro brewery has set up in 2013 at Horsford on land once owned by the old Steward nd Patteson brewery hence the name S& P. However they brew a new range of beers, which are superb in my humble opinion. 

But to return to Vanessan's point I think it will have been the Norwich Brewery ones cheersbar

• Like 2

We were at the Fur and Feathers on Monday, and I tried a pint of Woodfordes Flagondry, very nice indeed, a very light beer, lower alcohol level, than Wherry, but quite refreshing. 

Well, as this was our first trip we just had to go into the shop, with our credit card, and we had our cases of mixed Woodfordes beer on the counter, and I asked what is Bure Gold? the lady behind the counter said, here try some, she opened a bottle there and then to try, more gassy than basic Wherry, but wow what a great refreshing "pint" so that's another one to look out for. I said what is Nog, it looks a very dark beer, before I could say anything else, the top was off a bottle of Nog lol... I don't normally go for darker beers, although, I will go for the odd single pint of Guiness, again, this to me was very palatable. Not one, I would probably have more than a pint of, but very nice indeed, and if taken with say a medium steak, would help to accompany each other, in my opinion.

I will say that the samples were only a whisky glass full, and with both those and my pint of Flagondry in the Fur and Feathers, I'm glad my wife had volunteered to drive the 3 1/2 hours home.

So we also made up our own mixed case of beers, with "Once Bittern" I look forward to taking my time to drink these at home, whilst waiting for my return to the Broads.

To me the boating season has started.

Tip: As we agree / disagree as to when the start of spring is, a good time to look at your automatic life jackets, has the activator expired, and weigh the gas cylinder. Happy and safe boating for the 2016 season.

• Like 1

Going back to Baitrunner's original post, the idea of the Yanks just drinking Budweiser, Coors and Miller Lite is just a stereotype. We were fortunate to live in the US for 6 months, around10 years ago, on the New Hampshire/Vermont border and even then, there were quite a few small (dare I use the word) "craft" breweries. McNeil's and Magic Hat in VT; Smuttynose and the Elm City Brewery in NH, each did a range of beers, some in the German tradition and some in the British. Our "local" microbrewery often had sacks of malt from Essex and hops from Kent stacked up in the corridors waiting to be put to good use.

On our forays around the states , then and since, we have found lots of microbreweries, often associated with a single bar or restaurant, including a really good one in Time Sq, New York. When the $ drops down to a sensible level against the £ , we'll be back!

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Just caught up Howard. Yes Norwich brewery did produce an S&P bitter in the middle late eighties. It was not racked in the traditional way but stood upright in larger type kegs. It still needed time to settle as with trad beers, quite palatable I thought but I suppose I was a little biased.

• Like 1

That's very interesting Barry, it sounds the same system they used for the Norwich Castle bitter. I'm guessing they ditched all their traditional casks as part of the 'red revolution' and hence used the converted kegs. Unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of visiting the Ship during your tenure but I'm sure the beer was extremely well kept indeed! cheersbar

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

When I was on the wagon (2002 to 2011) I went through a lot of alcohol free beers, with Becks blue coming out about the best. I'd be interested in your view Iain as to which ones are good!

Hi MM 100% agree about Becks Blue. Erdinger is v good imo San Miguel buy in Asda if well chilled aint bad. The Czech ones are drinkable. The two naff I have sampled were Budweisers and Tennants HeeHaw. I have the odd drink these days but I don't wish to return to hospital.

cheersIain

9 minutes ago, SteveO said:

When I have my days off, I tend to drink Sainsbury's low alcohol Czech lager. It is made by Staropramen and, for a beer with an alcohol content of less than 0.5% , is quite drinkable.

cheers

Steve

Agreed, Steve, also the M&S Czech one aint bad. 

...or more a beer I haven't tried but would very much like to. It looks as if Belinda Jennings, Woodfordes new Head Brewer, is making her mark already. Hopefully this should have a lot more flavour than Woodfordes standard offerings. I'd be very interested to hear any feedback as sadly it could be a while until I get to try it :cry

cheersbar

IMG_20160310_140958.jpg

8 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

...or more a beer I haven't tried but would very much like to. It looks as if Belinda Jennings, Woodfordes new Head Brewer, is making her mark already. Hopefully this should have a lot more flavour than Woodfordes standard offerings. I'd be very interested to hear any feedback as sadly it could be a while until I get to try it :cry

cheersbar

IMG_20160310_140958.jpg

The brewer should send yoh one to sample Howard! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

I had a very enjoyable lunch time with Griff and we both had Woodforde's Once Bittern. Neither of us had sampled it before and it slipped down rather too well. This incidentally was taken at the South Walsham Ship Inn, I have not been in for a few years and had a good time. I was chatting to the manager telling him how I had been the landlord at the Ship when it occurred to me that  he wasn't even born when I was there. That was a bit of an eye opener :shocked 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, springsong said:

I had a very enjoyable lunch time with Griff and we both had Woodforde's Once Bittern. Neither of us had sampled it before and it slipped down rather too well. This incidentally was taken at the South Walsham Ship Inn, I have not been in for a few years and had a good time. I was chatting to the manager telling him how I had been the landlord at the Ship when it occurred to me that  he wasn't even born when I was there. That was a bit of an eye opener :shocked 

I get that same feeling when I pass a housing estate that I wired when new, 50 years ago! :shocked

cheersIain

On 06/03/2016 at 1:09 PM, MauriceMynah said:

When I was on the wagon (2002 to 2011) I went through a lot of alcohol free beers, with Becks blue coming out about the best. I'd be interested in your view Iain as to which ones are good!

I had the misfortune to sample a bottle of Cobra Indian Alcohol Free beer in Stalham two weeks ago. It was like sucking my own sweat stiffened socks.