Beers You Have Tried

13 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Iain

May have been the Gallon Pot?? It used to be a Wethereds pub, part of Whitbread which took over the original Lacons. 

The Barking Smack still has an excellent original Lacons sign next to the front door. cheersbar

Spotted in Gt Yarmouth, during our March holiday on the Broads, It is situated near the Market place on a building that is now a Bingo Hall

IMAG0746.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gramps said:

Spotted in Gt Yarmouth, during our March holiday on the Broads, It is situated near the Market place on a building that is now a Bingo Hall

IMAG0746.jpg

well spotted! cheersbar its good that the old brewery has been remembered. The new company bought the name and the yeast strains. Although they've only been on the go for 2 or 3 years they seem to be doing very well. The new brewery is, I believe, on Main Cross Road but I've never been there sadly :cry

The museum of the Broads own Falcon the steam launch which was built for (I think) Sir Edmund/Edward Lacon.

in 1895. She steamed fro Stalham to Grt Yarmouth and delivered across the river at Town Hall Quay the first barrel of beer produced by the "new" Lacons brewery. The name Falcon is of course taken from the Brewery motif and has had the name from the beginning, the MOB even have the build sheet from Striclands  of Dartmouth. She has her original engine with new boiler for HSE.

• Like 1

There's an extension to the left of the photo, which is a large restaurant/function area. The pub is the focal point of the fund-raising to protect the Hemsby coastline. Well worth a visit, but you'd be well advised to book for the Sunday carvery during the summer season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our local (the Hockham Eagle ) sells Old Speckled Hen as a regular but over the last couple of days the "guest" beer has been Old Hoppy Hen. So I've been able to directly compare them.

It's a lighter beer than Speckled, at 4.2%, and includes American Chinook hops. Citrus flavours and Very refreshing!    cheersbar

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, donnygeoff said:

Another one I tried on Friday was at the Wayford Inn, on the chalk board they advertised a cask ale I think it was called BAR13 or something, more of a larger at 5% but very nice ( I had to have 2)

cheersbar

Just seen an advert on the telly......

Brewed by Guinness..... not bar13... but hop house 13

cheersbar

Done a quick Google, yes it's a lager produced by Guiness so will be keg. (remember Harp? Thar was Guiness) it's also distributed by Greene King so I'm wondering if Wayford Bridge is tied to GK they were a few years back. I belive Adnams produce a dry hopped lager although I've never tried it. 

Well spotted Geoffcheersbar  

Not quite Broads related I know but this should be worth a look if you are in reach of Bury St Edmunds. Also be good to see some decent beer in the town too! :naughty:

Open today until Saturday, free to CAMRA members, three quid to non members. Grub available too. 

cheersbar

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Our local (the Hockham Eagle ) sells Old Speckled Hen as a regular but over the last couple of days the "guest" beer has been Old Hoppy Hen. So I've been able to directly compare them.

It's a lighter beer than Speckled, at 4.2%, and includes American Chinook hops. Citrus flavours and Very refreshing!    cheersbar

two gunstwo guns  GREEN KING! two gunstwo guns

1 hour ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Just had a few Once Bitterns in the Hockham Eagle.... good stuff!     cheersbar

"Once Bittern. Woodforde's Norfolk Ales Type Bitter ABV 4.0% Hints of sweet malt and fruit with a dry finish. Slight hint of Bramley apples with a touch of nutmeg".

Sounds like a touch of cider then with apples ha ha