Lot Of Boat For The Money!!

Damn !!

Boats like that are never available when I'm looking to change.

The Kents must be the only really affordable seagoing motor sailers with motor cruiser comfort interiors.

Even for people that aren't interested in flappy bits, one could unship the mast and rigging and have a seagoing cruiser that will get under any bridge, any time.

kent class.jpg

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Sacrilege Strowager! :)

Yes indeed Polly, it would be sacrilage to a sailor, because the Kent class were really good under sail, with a nice big sail area, unlike many small so-called "motor sailers".

The idea of using a comfortable cabin sailer as a motor cruiser makes a lot of sense though for anyone who would only normally buy a motor cruiser. Low air draught, less affected by side winds with the keel, and very stable at sea being ballasted for a tall mast and sailing.

On a smaller scale to the Kent,  I remember seeing this neat little ex-sailing cruiser at a Woods Dyke auction back in 2002.

No sails, but so practical for Broads cruising anywhere, albeit on a smaller scale, accommodation-wise.

(I wondered at the time why it was painted in those particular shades of green and yellow, but then I've always been a bit naive when it comes to sport...... :))

green and yellow.jpg

11 hours ago, Strowager said:

wondered at the time why it was painted in those particular shades of green and yellow, but then I've always been a bit naive when it comes to sport...... :))

Ah ha Strowie, they are not the teams colours you think they are:norty: they are in fact Lithuanias :party:

14260.l.jpg.648da030c23be95492cb70a839fd

cheersIain

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Ah ha Strowie, they are not the teams colours you think they are:norty: they are in fact Lithuanias 

Ah...  that explains why it only went for about a grand then....

On 10/03/2016 at 9:17 PM, Strowager said:

Damn !!

Boats like that are never available when I'm looking to change.

The Kents must be the only really affordable seagoing motor sailers with motor cruiser comfort interiors.

Even for people that aren't interested in flappy bits, one could unship the mast and rigging and have a seagoing cruiser that will get under any bridge, any time.

kent class.jpg

That reminds me of being back in the 80s Strow, when i worked with a guy whos father in law had a boat. We always used to read all the boat mags etc, and we both went to the Southampton show. While there, i looked over the Fairways Fisher 37, and remarked how nice it would be to have one with twin inboards, no main mast or sails, but keep the mizzen mast as a staysail.  That enormously long keel ballasted for sailing would be fantastic for seakeeping.

Sadly though, in those days we always chanced our arm on the Football pools, which i did occaisionally win, but only one or two pounds at a time. I have the same luck with the lottery, so it will never happen.