Jack Powles

AdnamsGirl

I shared this elsewhere today and thought I'd share it on here too as it's such a great photograph. Taken at Jack Powles yard c1949 and captioned as being "Saturday Morning Departure" it shows all the customers cars lined up awaiting their return at the end of the holiday.

wroxham49_powles01.jpg.fed3496c4a4118f9b

Whilst we're on the subject of Jack Powles ... does anyone know when he died?

I ask because I bought some 1950s 16mm cine footage towards the end of last year for Broadland Memories which contains a section showing a boat being built on the Broads and a man showing the family round and presumably explaining the build process. I had a suspicion that the yard was Jack Powles. Now .... a photo supposedly of Jack Powles in the late 1940s came up for sale on Ebay this week and it looks remarkably like the chap seen in my film. However, someone told me that they thought he died in 1939, but then thought they may be getting confused with John Loynes. Google hasn't found an answer for me (the Jack Powles that comes up isn't the same one) ... so does anyone know?

Here's a still from my film and I have been naughty and pinched the Ebay photo as an illustration so that you can see what I mean. What do you all think?

56e2c8dfa498a_Broads50sPowles01.thumb.JP

jackpowles_.JPG.f35115933e2832637e587e25

• Like 4

That's a different Jack Powles Iain ... nephew or something I believe.

The actual Jack Powles would have been considerably older if he were still alive as he was Alfred Collins business partner and took control of that yard in the 1920s I think. As I said, I tried Google and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Carol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdnamsGirl said:

That's a different Jack Powles Iain ... nephew or something I believe.

The actual Jack Powles would have been considerably older if he were still alive as he was Alfred Collins business partner and took control of that yard in the 1920s I think. As I said, I tried Google and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Carol

Oops sorreeeee .....Will keep hunting!

• Like 1

probably reasonable to say that she flies the burgee of Jack Powles & Company at Wroxham. .... Martin died in 1941 at only thirty years of age and his father died just two years later; ...

That of any help Carol?

cheersIain

Yes Carol, That is Jack Powles.

I met him, on the yard, at the time he was selling to Leslie Trafford.

We had Evening Flight out on their cradle to have the bottom anti fouled before Wroxham Week and he came to say hello. I remember his huge hands, like dinner plates.

The date, at a guess, would be 1962

• Like 3

Brilliant Vaughan - thank you!

(Does happy jig round the living room) :party2::party2:

Iain, I checked and the text you found comes from the Postcards of the Broads site and relates to Martin and Frederick Miller. That's the problem with Google - it takes random bits of text from across an internet page, puts them together on the search results making it look like a sentence, which can make life very confusing! Many thanks for trying though

Carol

• Like 1

A younger Jack Powles will no doubt be on this photo shared by Jack Robinson on Flickr of the 25th Blakes anniversary.

Would be great to put more names to all the faces.

Blakes 1931

Jack mentions that Leo Robinson was the gent to the left of the lady on the bottom row.

• Like 2

Jack Robinson kindly allowed me to put some of his family photographs on the website a while ago - a wonderful collection! Jack Powles is far left on the front row. The full set of names for the Blkaes anniversary photo are:

Top row - W.Hewitt, E.Southgate, George Press, Clifford Smith, H.T. Percival, Herbert Woods, Percy Hunter, A.Fuller, C.Teader, Barney Broom, O.A.King, E.C.Landamore, W.S.Parker, Arthur Johnson. Middle row - Fred Press, George Hazell, W.Smith, H.C.Banham, Geoffrey Hart, Basil Broom, Percy Collins, Graham Bunn, A.G.Ward Hazell Jnr, Martin E.Miller, Mr Barnwell, C.Mollett. Front row - Jack Powles, H.J.Burrell, Dick Smallman, J.W.Eastwick, F. Miller, H. Blake, Leo Robinson, Mrs D.Blake, C.H.Harris, R.W.Hawke, Mr Loynes.

Carol

• Like 6

I only ever met Jack once, about 40 or so years ago. I was asked to photograph a boat that he'd built for a very wealthy, oriental gentleman. The hull and superstructure were built separately at Wroxham, the reason being that she was too high to pass under the bridges on her trip to sea. The hull came to Lowestoft by water, the superstructure by road, both to be assembled at, I think, Fletchers yard. Once completed I photographed her for one of the boating magazines, Motor Boat & Yachting I think. She was actually built as the tender to a much bigger motor yacht. She had a main cabin with a day-bed for the owner. The headboard was encrusted with diamonds and other precious stones. Jack did tell me the value of the stones, I forget now but it was a breathtaking amount, rather more than the boat itself. Down to earth bloke.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

JM I wonder if that was the same boat with the gold taps? I was in company with a Powles member of staff, and he was saying the boat weighed a ton in jewels and gold!

cheersIain

Quite probably, the gold taps were gold too, not that rolled stuff or electro-plated or whatever. What year was it, do you remember?

59 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

From a previous photo I have seen I am think the gentleman on the end of the front row is Mr Loynes if I am correct then one of the others is missing

hi ray

that's a puzzle then as there are twelve people on the front row and eleven names.

im guessing that the missing name belongs to one of the men to the right of mrs

d blake ?

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Quite probably, the gold taps were gold too, not that rolled stuff or electro-plated or whatever. What year was it, do you remember?

March 27th 1976 in the Horshoe Bar, Wroxham. Yes he said gold, not plated.

cheersIain

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

What a memory! I have trouble with yesterday, or was it the day before?

Was our first time from Porter & Haylett on Sunglory. The date is easy JM, SWMBO birthday is very close to that date!:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1