Alpha Craft

jonger

Someone told us the other week that they hope to carry on building boats not confirmed thou.As Alan said very sad,in the last few years we got to know  Paul very well.Indeed our boat was in there moorings for a few months  having some work done a few years ago.I wish them all well.

I know rumours of Alpha's demise have been around for a while so surprising they were still accepting bookings for this year. I was never an Alpha fan to be honest because I didn't think their boats were great and the comments re them needing work doesn't surprise me. Nevertheless it's sad another South Broads yard has gone. I can remember in the 90s Alpha being one of the bigger Broads fleets with a St Olaves base as well as the Brundall one - how times have changed. 

It is sad that another South yard has closed but as a hirer of Silverline with their presentation and their superbly organised operation, as you passed Alphacraft the difference always seemed marked. This wasn't just a preference for Silverline as we never thought that way about Swancraft.  This may just have been one of those irrational feelings but it has stopped me even considering Alpha over a long time.

There is one superb wooden Alphacraft still for hire (although I am not sure if dates to when they operated as Jillings) which is Swift at Maffetts. Their Swallow was also part of the Alpha fleet but was built by R. G. Smith.

Fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Do you mean Merlin, Fred?

I do Simon! Either getting old, too much tram riding or a combination of both.:naughty:

24 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

I thought that John built Merlin when he was an apprentice.

John told me he did. Good job he made of her too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sad news indeed, such a shame when you think they mold some of the most popular boats ever on the broads. Guess with the likes of Richos and co going back to moulding there own craft, demands has fallen off, designs getting a bit long in the tooth and all that. Do we know if someone will buy the moulds ?? Good luck to all the staff.

Without adding rumor. When we looked the boats needed work although we were advised that the work would be put good. The wasn't overly expensive by comparison but we found cheaper for the person we was looking for. The yard was closed and staff were not visible although it was the middle of the winter.  I suspect the boats will be sold to another hire yard eventually. One again good luck to the Alpha family but it certainly looks a very sad end to the era.

When we hired they were basic boats but did the job. 

I heard one of the guys there was a top fibre glasser so I'm sure he will be snapped up or go private. 

Maybe andy at freedom will expand his fleet?

to be honest they are a pain in the backside when they moor them 3 deep in the dyke. November was a close my eyes and hope job when we went past their yard. 

Still its sad to hear of probably more job losses and less choice. 

• Like 1

Three weeks ago, we pasted Alpha yard going out and then back to our base and it was a sad sight to see Alpha Craft yard of NO life. The boats have weeds growing on them and the boats have not had repairs done to the boats. I feel sorry for Paul and all the staff who worked there. Ian and I had become close to Paul, because our boat having work done at Alpha Craft yard. We had our fingers crossed for Paul and the guys last season and with the news of this season is really sad :shocked.

If Paul or anyone from Alpha Craft see this post, can I say " We are sorry to see Alpha Craft go" :(.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

I heard one of the guys there was a top fibre glasser so I'm sure he will be snapped up or go private. 

to be honest they are a pain in the backside when they moor them 3 deep in the dyke. November was a close my eyes and hope job when we went past their yard. 

You wouldn't happen to know the name/contact of the fibreglass guy would you? 

13 hours ago, dnks34 said:

You wouldn't happen to know the name/contact of the fibreglass guy would you? 

I suspect the staff there are self employed, hopefully someone will know the chap. I do know Mark at MBA (whos a member on here) does fibreglassing.. worth Pm'ing him too.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

The boats were on brokerage, then they were removed from sale and it has yo-yo-ed around a bit like that for a couple of months. 

I have looked at the boats and, not to put too fine a point on it, they are in varying condition that I would rate as rough to shocking. We have thought about expanding the fleet, but, I am not eager to put the business in any debt and, if I am totally honest, I regularly question the long-term viability of a smaller hire fleet anyway. I know we earn diddly-squat out of it and I need real justification for continuing each year. So far, that has been an unwillingness to do anything else but family illness this year is making us consider, very carefully, what we do in future. Some people have a work/life balance; for the owner of a small hire fleet, it's a work/work balance and that has already been detrimental to family life. 

• Like 7