Alpha Craft

jonger

27 minutes ago, Happy said:

:angel: Glad I got my copy when I did -arrived next day.  I thought it would be a good read when we go to Devon for a week in our motorhome.  Unfortunately had a quick look and now halfway through it!  Find it difficult to put down, you really feel you are there with him.  Maybe glad I didn't win the lottery and buy a yard now but with enough money suppose you could employ the right people and just play!  cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Where about are you visiting in Devon with your motor-home?

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Alan,

Where about are you visiting in Devon with your motor-home?

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan.  We are going to quite a large caravan site near Swanage. Its actually Dorset not Devon as I originally thought but hey ho it will get us away for a week and best thing is it got a pub and restaurant on site.  Its next to a halt for the Swanage steam railway and whilst not a 'steam nut' find these railways quite interesting. Its not boating on the 'Broads' but maybe the next best thing.  At least I wont have to worry about Eve falling in when mooring up - just falling over on the way back from the pub!

Regards Alan

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Happy said:

Swanage. Its actually Dorset not Devon

Been to Swanage several times, nice seafront, parking in town can be fun:party:If you fancy a run to a country pub, may I recommend this one. http://www.theelmtreeinn.com Unless changed hands, it was a must go for lunch when we were staying in the area. Enjoy your holiday there, Alan.

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

Been to Swanage several times, nice seafront, parking in town can be fun:party:If you fancy a run to a country pub, may I recommend this one. http://www.theelmtreeinn.com Unless changed hands, it was a must go for lunch when we were staying in the area. Enjoy your holiday there, Alan.

cheersIain

Thanks for that Ian, it looks great.  In an effort to leave the motorhome 'on site' as much as possible we have two 'power assisted' bicycles to take with us, hence why the railway being near was good.  The pub you mention is 30 miles away from the campsite so will go there in the motorhome one day that week when we fancy a change.  Thanks again cheers

Alan

• Like 1

I remember mentioning this book on the forum a few months back. I'm glad it has got another mention as it really is an entertaining read and gives a good insight into the hire yard business. Anyone who has read it will have some idea of what Andy and his family have to cope with on a day to day basis. I think the Freedom yard will be a fair bit bigger than Alexander Cruisers so probably much bigger headaches too! 

I'm sure there will be copies around still but may take some tracking down. 

23 hours ago, vanessan said:

Anyone who has read it will have some idea of what Andy and his family have to cope with on a day to day basis.

I struggle to not use strong language sometimes......(sometimes I fail).

Suffice to say that the world is full of morons and, occasionally some filter our way and incur massive costs and stress. Not always from the most obvious of sources. 

• Like 2

I suspect that some customers have no common sense and then there are those that just have no respect for anything especially the asset they are floating about on. a combination of the two could be extremely dangerous resulting in high cost repairs and loss of rental costs while the boat is being repaired. My worry is that tales of what I hope is just a minority may put off people that are contemplating hiring for the first time.

A week or more on the Broads is a lovely place to relax and enjoy the nature around you. With a little application of common sense and taking it nice and easy that first hire is not difficult and can result in a lifetime relationship with the Broads.

Our experience of Andy's yard was very good. The training was good and the service excellent. Just avoid the desire to rush everywhere and use the revs sparingly especially near other boats or coming into moor.

Take a chance, hire a boat and enjoy.

• Like 6

Andy's claim not swear much had me laughing. For most Norfolk folk 'bloody' is pretty much as 'strong' as they go, a word generally added to foreigners (those from outside the county), Londoners, squit, Broads Authority, Northerners, warmin (vermin), tax-men, Common Market, 'fuel' as in fool, traffic wardens, people who continually argue (East Enders [BBC style]) and hell. We might say 'bugger' as in 'silly bugger', 'bugger me gently' or 'little bugger' in relation to misbehavior by folk we like, e.g. our kids. Generally we don't appreciate the swearing to excess that we hear on the BBC! 

• Like 1