Dodgy Toll Plaques

Matt

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Got an e mail to say don't fit this afternoon.

Hi Chris,

So did I, I phoned the Toll Office for an update and to see what the scope of the problem is. The chap I spoke to said only a couple of reported cases last week, but they are still advising boat owners not to fix the plaques to hulls and to just keep  then at hand or to tape them onto the inside of windows so they are visible.

Regards

Alan.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Chris,

So did I, I phoned the Toll Office for an update and to see what the scope of the problem is. The chap I spoke to said only a couple of reported cases last week, but they are still advising boat owners not to fix the plaques to hulls and to just keep  then at hand or to tape them onto the inside of windows so they are visible.

Regards

Alan.

Useful advice, for those of us who don't have windows!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thanks for the link Matt.

I'm reading that as going paperless now, this year....

The 2016 to 2017 toll year is the one that starts at the end of this month.

I guess it saves them the trouble of reissuing the faulty plaques that have already gone out.

7 minutes ago, Strowager said:

Thanks for the link Matt.

I'm reading that as going paperless now, this year....

The 2016 to 2017 toll year is the one that starts at the end of this month.

I guess it saves them the trouble of reissuing the faulty plaques that have already gone out.

Starting from April I would say.

the accountant in me calls that next year!

All very well giving laptop/smart phone access for the Rangers to check tolls on boats but that means entering every one on their tech or checking on a list where as before if they  could see the right colour toll plaque that was all that was needed. Should not those that come up with these ideas be made to implement in the field to see if it will work. This has to put a greater load on our limited number of rangers all the more. Just how long is it going to take to check on all the boats in yards in say Brundall or Wroxham. To my knowledge 2 boats have been sent tolls requests that are no longer on the broads. Are going to get ARPR, automatic registration plate recognition, on the ranger launches. If it ain't broke don't fix it, or just use a different ink.:naughty:

Colincheers

Well I think its an excellent idea and of benefit for those that purchase their toll in plenty of time and then dont get to the boat for a few months by which time Roger Ranger has stuck a nasty notice on the nice canopy window!

And as for the toll plaque itself... good riddance! Its a nasty sticky thing that is impossible to remove so you end up with years and years of build up on your nice shiny hull.

So Roger Ranger will save hours no longer filling in notices for boats that are actually licensed and can check validity by just tapping in the registration number on a laptop.

Of course, all the money saved using this new system will mean next years toll increase will not be needed... :naughty:

• Like 4

Following the success of the DVLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I know this is the mail and they are on par with the EDP for accuracy but no smoke as they say:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3335816/End-paper-disc-sees-car-tax-evasion-soar-Number-cases-drivers-dodging-annual-payment-doubled-past-year.html

34 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Following the success of the DVLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I know this is the mail and they are on par with the EDP for accuracy but no smoke as they say:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3335816/End-paper-disc-sees-car-tax-evasion-soar-Number-cases-drivers-dodging-annual-payment-doubled-past-year.html

An interesting link Chris.

I've re-read it several times, trying to understand exactly how that main statistic has been arrived at, where they say that evaders have doubled, to over half a million, since the paper disc was abolished.

It sounds quite alarming, even when looking at that as a percentage of all taxed cars, where the number of unlicensed has jumped from 0.6% to 1.4%.

When you dig deeper into it though, they then say:

"Of the unlicensed vehicles identified, nearly six out of ten (58 per cent) had been untaxed for up to two months."

So that matches the "doubling" of evaders almost exactly, ie, they all pay up within two months.

So it sounds as though it's more a case of late payment, rather than evasion ?

Still, it sells newspapers, that's the main thing, (from the Mail's point of view... :roll:)

18 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Working for a technology company as I do, I have a rough idea of the sort of money the system to allow rangers to check tolls with their phone will cost. 

The system will need to be allow a way of downloading the data locally because of the problems with connectivity on the broads and to also be secure externally as well as stopping an unscrupulous ranger from flogging the data that's cached on his device. It will all need to be penetration tested to ensure this and then periodically pen tested every year or so to ensure it's still secure. It'll also need support (maybe not 24/7 but certainly 8/5) and someone to manage the server, to ensure that is updated and backed up etc etc. 

It'll be well into six figures, believe me - The BA won't procure from a small company and any solvent small company would probably run a mile.

Let's just get some indelible ink, no?

I would have thought that the task of remotely verifying around 12,000 reg numbers for a current toll would be the simplest and cheapest thing in the world Jonzo.

I doubt there is any need for remote wifi access at all, it would be quite sufficient for rangers to have a daily update download  from base.

Even a simple cheap mobile phone app could have a searchable database of that size with half a dozen data fields, (toll number, length, type, name, tolled y/n).  The file size would be tiny, and the ranger need only key in the toll number on his device to locally give an instant record of what is back at base, accurate from that morning. There would be no need to access the central database for each enquiry at all.

They could update their handheld device from a land based hard wired phone broadband wifi each morning in seconds, connected directly to the BA records at Dragonfly.

I would think that the whole implementation that way, including any hardware and software would be peanuts compared to the cost of printing and posting paper  toll plaques.

Surely it's just a case of downloading a list of registration numbers that have paid. No other info would be needed. Update the list each morning. No need to include the 10,000 or so that are not paid, just the ones that are.

Even I could run that system using an excel spreadsheet and I'm a boat!!!

7 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Surely it's just a case of downloading a list of registration numbers that have paid. No other info would be needed. Update the list each morning. No need to include the 10,000 or so that are not paid, just the ones that are.

Even I could run that system using an excel spreadsheet and I'm a boat!!!

Damn.... :)

You've made even my idea sound over complicated !

There may be one or two drawbacks with that system though JA.

Someone could put a fictitious reg number on their boat and it would never appear on a list as "unpaid".

I think any system would need to verify positively that a given reg number is currently tolled and is on the right size and type of boat. There's always the possibility of unscrupulous people "cloning" toll reg numbers, as with cars.

You're quite right though, it could conceivably be just a standard paper printout, in reg number order, 6 columns across, 50 lines per side of A4. 

A 120 sheet report in A4, given to each ranger on a fortnightly basis.

The number of cases where he sees a boat not on his list would be minimal, where he could then simply phone the BA office to check the exact up-to date situation.

Reading  the quote they plan to ask you to report untaxed boats ,how will you know,do you ask nicely of boaters you meet ???? The manpower required to do this and contact you if they had a large influx of reports ? Also if they are providing  a receipt could it not be display able  in a window ,as are wq on cabin boats come laminated for open bats to display ? We put our visitors permit on their dinghy s in a water proof envelope  tied to a thwart inside but viewable .

There are always people who will find a way to abuse any system and boat tolls will be no exception. 

A few years ago, during the yearly debate about toll increases, all the boats in a well known diy shed were compared. Two boats the same size were paying different rates and one large cruiser was showing the toll for a dinghy!! It was the right colour though...

Ultimately enforcement is not my problem, compliance is. With a hull as beautiful as mine ( :grin: ) the whole sticker thing is not welcome. My toll is a contract between me and BA. I know if its paid and so do they. Thats all I need.

• Like 3

£4,400 saving on printing. About a £1 or so per boat. I can't see any saving for me. This years tolls come to £830. I'm sure the most of us will pay up but I don't see this being cost effective. Poor old ranger will have to type in every registration he passes to be sure it's paid and then a week later with staff shuffling another ranger will have to do the same. Cost effective? Not! Passing boats will have to be checked and possible chased, where as the right colour sticker can be checked at a glance.

JA, DON'T stick them on your nice woodies paint. We have ours on a Perspex plaque tied to the pulpit.

Colincheers