Dodgy Toll Plaques

Matt

Paladine has just helpfully posted elsewhere a scan of a BA letter that accompanied his toll receipt.

It confirms that there will be an internet checking facility for people to verify whether any boat has a paid-up toll, by entering the reg number.

So it will be similar to the existing DVLA facility for any member of the Public to verify road fund licenses.

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Can think of slightly better use of my boating time than checking boats are licensed though. 

Guess it might be useful if you have an annoying boater near you though. 

I only mentioned it in answer to the comments on here that without the visible plaques, there would be no way for anyone other than BA Rangers to know if they suspected a boat of not having an up to date toll.

Some people will no doubt see it as busybody interference, but not everyone.

Sorry Mark, my reply was badly worded, no rebuke intended.

I didn't particularly mean anything against you, more that some people might see it as "grassing" on others.... :rolleyes:

I spoke to a member of the tolls team yesterday... although the plaque less route is under consideration, the problem at the moment is that Rangers don't have the kind of equipment on board to readily check from registration numbers (in the way that Police do with car tax) whether a boat is tolled...

I don't think that will be a serious obstacle. As a police officer years ago, neither did I, but a simple radio call to someone in the ops room enabled an immediate PNC check. This surely must be the way forward?  If every boat is required to display registration and therefore toll status can be checked; not to do so would be an offence - simples.

• Like 2

Hello Boaters

I paid my toll at the NBA in Norwich, the nice Lady handed a receipt to me.

She told this year there will be no plaques, I should put the recipe in a drawer on board to show it on request.

So however it will be controlled, doesn't matter to me, I am a legal boater that counts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HakunaMatata said:

Hello Boaters

I paid my toll at the NBA in Norwich, the nice Lady handed a receipt to me.

She told this year there will be no plaques, I should put the recipe in a drawer on board to show it on request.

So however it will be controlled, doesn't matter to me, I am a legal boater that counts.

Well that's it then....... straight from the horse's mouth, as they say!

Many thanks for clearing it up, Frank!    :wave

Here is an email I received from the BA on 15 March having paid my toll and received the plaques in the post:

Dear Toll Payer

I am writing to advise you of an issue that a very small number of toll payers have experienced with their new plaques.

We have had reports from two boat owners that the ink from their plaques has run onto their vessels following heavy rain and this has been backed up by our own tests.

Our supplier, who has produced toll plaques to this specification for 20 years with no previous ink stability issues, is investigating the cause and testing possible solutions for the plaques already sent out.

In the meantime we would advise you not to fix your toll plaque on your vessel while investigations are ongoing but instead to keep it on board ready should it need to be produced.

If you have already fixed your plaques our advice is that you should remove them.  If you have experienced any colour run please contact the Tolls team at tolls@broads-authority.gov.uk or on 01603 756080 so we can establish the scale of the issue.

We apologise for the inconvenience but please be reassured we are doing everything we can to resolve the issue and will keep you updated.

It is just as well the problem occurred before the season got under way as there could have been quite a few disgruntled boat owners!   

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received this email.

Regards

Alan 

Dear Toll Payer,

The Broads Authority is trialling a plaqueless tolls system during 2016/17, this follows ink seepage issues with this year’s plaques. 

Further information is contained in the attached file. 

Yours faithfully 

Bill Housden

Collector of Tolls    

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

Plaqueless tolls trial – important information
The Broads Authority is trialling a plaqueless tolls system during 2016/17 which means it will be using registration marks and names of vessels to verify whether owners have paid a toll.
A trial has been under consideration since the DVLA’s move to paperless vehicle tax and is being implemented now because of ink seepage issues with this year’s plaques.
The Authority’s Rangers will be able to check vessel registration marks and names on a mobile device to see if they have a valid toll. We are also developing an online system for members of the public to access basic information and check if a vessel has paid a toll.
This means that registration marks and/or names need to be clearly visible on vessels moored or used on the Broads and adjacent waters.
This does not represent a change for most boat owners since the marks should be on their boat, however:
• Privately owned sailing cruisers, half-deckers and keelboats don’t have to display registration marks if the registered name of the boat is clearly visible.
• Sailing dinghies and sailboards, which have not had to display a registration mark in the past if a toll plaque was present, will have to display the registration mark instead.
• Canoes and kayaks will need to display the registration mark or produce evidence of membership of the British Canoe Union.
The requirements above and the information concerning non display of toll plaques supersede the leaflet ‘Display of registration marks and toll plaques’ sent with your toll plaques.
If you are in any doubt about what is required please contact the Authority’s Tolls Office for advice. Registration marks are available from the Authority at a small charge.
For those already issued with their 2016/17 tolls plaque the advice is to not fix them to boats. Anyone who has already put one of this season’s plaques on their vessel is advised to remove it.
An evaluation of the plaqueless tolls trial will be undertaken in the autumn before deciding whether to take it forward for future seasons.

Regards

Alan Hood

Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate

http://www.ranworthbreeze.co.uk

• Like 1