Boat Cleaning Time

Islander

Aldi's this week. Caravan, boat cleaning products and accessories.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/caravan-cleaner/p/051921004455800

Used this last time it was in stock and was very pleased with the results. They also have a black streak remover too.

What other products have you found good at sensible prices?

Colincheers

• Like 1

Hi Alan, I will go for anything that works for the least effort without taking the paint off:naughty:. Even found some of the cheap cleaners out of sainsbury good. Cream cleaner on fenders and only pence a bottle.

Colincheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Islander said:

Hi Alan, I will go for anything that works for the least effort without taking the paint off:naughty:. Even found some of the cheap cleaners out of sainsbury good. Cream cleaner on fenders and only pence a bottle.

Colincheers

Hi Colin,

The best thing on fenders is the Magic Sponges assuming you do not have fender socks fitted:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

The best thing I've found on fenders is some Flash cleaner, a green 'scotch pad' and elbow grease followed by Autoglym vinyl rubber restorer and conditioner.

For fenders that have dragged in the water and attracted some scale to the bottoms - some simple bathroom sink descaler works well.

Alan, not tried the Magic Sponges but will def give them a go.

Wow Robin, you go the whole 9 yards but I had not thought of using the Auto Glym. Think I may have some in a safe place.:rolleyes:

Dragging fenders in the water!!!......I use acid too:naughty:

And all this is environmentally friendly isn't it.

Colincheers

Hugh Crane in Acle, on the road out toward South Walsham. They sell a range of cleaners and other products. 

I use Ubik2000 to do most cleaning, great on headlining, fenders and white grip/paintwork. For the hull it's Transwash 20, the BA Rangers use it on the patrol launches, spray on leave for 5 minutes wash off and the jobs done!

They also sell toilet Blue called BD505 in 5 litre bottles quite cheaply.

They will also supply small samples to try, this is how we found Ubik2000 when we wanted to clean headlining, they suggested Ubik2000 gave us a sample to try and it really was great. It is also food safe so we now use it everywhere and save a fortune on shop bought products.

John.

The best cleaner I've found so far is called Elbow Grease £1.00 a bottle from the Factory shop in Stalham, I use it inside and outside, Judi loves it for cleaning Stainless Steel, and I love it because it gets rid of marks outside that other won't even touch, when I was told about Elbow Grease I thought it was a joke until I saw it in the shop, then saw it was £1.00 a botttle and thought this has to be C**p at that price, how wrong I was thinking I'd wasted £1.00 the stuff is the dogs so I now keep six bottles on board in case they stop selling it,,,

Like Alan I use Aldis magic sponges and Fairy power spray on fenders and it brings them up like new, but don't be tempted to use them on your gelcoat or paintwork like I've seen some do, they are Slightly abrasive and will dull the finish as they contain Melamine,,,

Frank,,,

• Like 1

I've just posted to my Blog about boat cleaning and polishing.

Bear in mind whatever product you use to wash your boat,  should you have any waxes, polishes or polymer sealants applied over a painted surface or Gel Coat  then your cleaning product should be PH Neutral to avoid stripping these away and rendering your surfaces unprotected. 

There are plenty of products out there, a good one is Autoglym's Body Shampoo and Conditioner.

Also always always rinse the surface well prior to touching it with a sponge or brush because if you go right in without doing so, you will just cause swirl marks and fine scratches in the top surface from abrasive particles that will have surly settled over time on the boat.

Oh, and to help revive tired clear screen inserts to canopy's or perspex screens, use a fine polish like 3M Marine Finesse-it II -It works well (so do counter-top polishes). 

Hi Robin , note taken, got shares in Auto Glim then. I will admit having used them on the bike they have been excellent.

like the idea of the 3m product, didn't know about that, could of saved a lot of pennies replacing canopy windows in the past. I have tried Perspex polish in the past but has been disappointing I the past.

regards Colin

45 minutes ago, Polly said:

I looked for a descaler for the dinghy waterline;  Viacal came up as fibreglass friendly. Hooray because a) I've got it already, and b ) I can stop feeling guilty about using it last time.:D)

Patio/brick cleaner does the job well too! 

I have used Harpic on the bows of our boat to remove scale that was stained brown from peat. To avoid getting it in the water, I used it to wet some sheets of kitchen roll, which I then applied to the stained area for about half an hour. The flattened sheets stuck onto the gelcoat very well and did a nice job on the stain.

cheers

Steve

Oxalic acid cheap as chip does not hurt GRP and brilliant....... Diluted and sprayed on or use neat on bad areas, even removes rust stains. Also good on wood but will bleach it if left on a while. Loads on the net about it.

S.

• Like 2

At this point I think it's a good time to mention being VERY carefull with cleaners like brick acid and oxalic acid, the clue is in the name ACID! so always read and stick to the instructions, even the milder ones like Harpic or any domestic cleaners have safety warnings, I wonder how many of us have ever read them??

Mowjo tip time! did you know Oxalic Acid is the dogs for removing rust stains from your GRP, I removed a large mudweight rust stain from my deck using it, took a couple of goes but it's completely gone now, just mix a jug full a little bit stronger  than usual, apply to the stain and leave for 10 minutes and thoroughly wash it off, repeat if it needs it, for vertical surfaces mix some wallpaper paste in the mix until it thickens up, that way it stays where you put it,,

Frank,,, 

1 hour ago, Mowjo said:

At this point I think it's a good time to mention being VERY carefull with cleaners like brick acid and oxalic acid, the clue is in the name ACID! so always read and stick to the instructions, even the milder ones like Harpic or any domestic cleaners have safety warnings, I wonder how many of us have ever read them??

Mowjo tip time! did you know Oxalic Acid is the dogs for removing rust stains from your GRP, I removed a large mudweight rust stain from my deck using it, took a couple of goes but it's completely gone now, just mix a jug full a little bit stronger  than usual, apply to the stain and leave for 10 minutes and thoroughly wash it off, repeat if it needs it, for vertical surfaces mix some wallpaper paste in the mix until it thickens up, that way it stays where you put it,,

Frank,,, 

and don't chuck it in the rivers, there's not many fish around as it is.......

• Like 1

Wallpaper paste is good to stop it running off vertical surfaces, but be careful it doesn't dry - nightmare to get off.  Ask me how I know!  I now mix it with Fairy Liquid which works brilliantly to hold it in place while it does its work.