paint

Guest Jonny

looking for some advice

we maybe down for a week maybe longer in August & looking to repaint Curlews top is there any sort of paint people would recommend??

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

looking for some advice

we maybe down for a week maybe longer in August & looking to repaint Curlews top is there any sort of paint people would recommend??

Off topic jonny,remember the forecast mid august temperature will be 40C !! yes,don't forget your suncream. Paint you could spend a fortune in the marine shops or go in Roys DIY and get some gloss,probably does the same job but cheaper,but don't quote me on that.

Hi Jonny! When I had the Seamaster the whole boat was re-painted using normal trade Permoglaze undercoat and gloss, you can get it from most trade decorating outlets, don't use the domestic one that you get in places like B&Q it's not the same, trade paints have a lot more pigment in them, I was in the trade at the time and was recomended Permoglaze by a paint rep, it's made for coastal enviroments and stands up well to salt and sun, my boat had been painted for seven years when I sold it and apart from a few scratches it was as good as the day I painted it,, Now listen carefully,, :grin: don't paint your boat on a hot day it'll dry too quick and you'll see every brush mark, a nice dry overcast day is what you need, ease the paint a bit by adding a small amount of white spirit, don't use it straight it's too thick, put it on with a small 4" gloss roller, and lay it off very lightly with a semi dry brush, I always use foam brushes for laying off now I think they are called Jenny brushes, no matter how good your paint looks at the end if you havn't done the preparation it won't last more than a season, I always say a proper paint job is 90% preparation and 10 % painting, wash it down, rub it down, fill the holes, rub it down, re-fill the holes you misssed, rub it down, wash the whole lot down a couple of times with white spirit, and if the cloth your washing down with is clean your ready to start painting, it's a lot of work to do it properly but when it's your pride and joy it's worth it trust me,, :grin: I forgot to mention undercoat it and rub it down again,,,

This is the place I buy my foam brushes and rollers from,,,nice and cheap,,, http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Jenny_ ... llers.html

Hi Jonny

I've never painted a GRP cruiser, so was going to sit quietly... but then I guess there are similarities to the narrowboats I painted and how I did my own.

As with many things you get what you pay for. I'd strongly advise against using household paint (do you remember the Line Azzurro fleet??! :grin: ). I think the harsh reality is that's not going to look good, and going to look even worse before long. I used International Toplac - nice to work with, and stays looking good well, you definately wouldnt get such a nice finish with cheaper paints, though cheaper International paints (they used to call their standard finish Interlux Super I think) will still be OK. Theres probably some quite decent marine paints that are cheaper, but unfortunately I dont have much experience of them, maybe others will. At the end of the day I took the view with International if it was good enough to go to sea with it was going to be pretty good and last quite well for inland waters.

I used to roller it on with a foam roller and brush it out as I went, and undercoated first and agree you want quite a cool day, definately not a burning hot sunny day.

Happy painting

Dan

do you remember the Line Azzurro fleet??!

ahh yes they dint last long :lol::lol::lol:

its a little trial & error but but if nothing pans out all ask Richo's for a quote if its not to over priced for us then you neva know/

but i think we want to try it ower selves as we have not done it before hence the help from everyone here.

:grin: Jonny! I didn't realise you had never done it before, so on that note I'd advise you to have a word with Clive and let the professionals do it, if you mess it up it'll cost you a lot more to get ot put right, and believe me it's easy to mess it up, you only have to look at some of the boats on the Broads and even in some hire yards, I havn't seen Clives work but I've heard he's good, and don't forget a bad paint job can knock a couple of thousand off the value of your boat, I was in the trade for years and it took quite a bit of research to find Permoglaze was the paint to use, after comparing some so called marine paints and finding very little difference apart from marine being twice the price, I spoke to one of Permoglazes senior reps, and in his words,, "your not always getting what you pay for" when pressed he said that some companys who make the paint, just re-lable their trade paint as marine, but it's exactly the same paint, the only ones being different were trade and DIY, DIY having less pigment in them,, that was about twenty years ago and paints have changed, but after my experiance with Permoglaze I'd certainly use it on a boat again,, :grin:

I have ten years experience of painting boats for a living. The advice given above is very sound. We used to use trade paints for hire dayboats, but wouldn't dream of using them for private or classic boats. I've probably used every marine paint ever produced and now use nothing other than Toplac. Why? Because it is a very forgiving paint - even in when used by novices. It produces a good lasting shine and flows out well (your brushmarks will all but disappear.) A little Owatrol added to the gloss coat works wonders as does a little gloss paint added to the undercoat.

My worry for Johnny is the area he will be covering. Maintaing a good wet edge over such a large area on a hot sunny day is not going to be easy. If you haven't the time for stripping down the boat of all the bits you'd otherwise have to paint round and cut in, the time for hours of first class preparation and the right temperament, leave it to the professionals.

If you cannot resist the temptation to have a go yourself, Johhny, make sure you're double handed for all stages of the work. It makes a massive difference to both morale and the look of the finished job.

PS "Broadland Swift's" hull and sheerstrake are painted using Toplac. Pictures of her can be seen in Jill's "Potter" thread. The hull was painted this year, the sheerstrake was last painted four years ago and will be repainted this Autumn.

hi Jonny

I have an unopened 750ml (500 polygloss and 250ml curing agent) of blakes white 10001 marine paint, its top quality stuff and cost £35.48 from Norfolk Marine, yours (or anyone elses) for £20.00 if you or anyone else is interested as I cannot think we will need it in the future

This was bought Feb this year when I had Aquaholic painted but was not required.

Pm me if interested

Hi Jonny

When I did the hull of Tranquil Breeze last October, I fully prepped the hull with an orbital sander (yes, it was a Line Azurro boat, yes the paint was a bit dodgy :lol: ). After filling and rubbing down again, she then got 3 coats of International undercoat, followed by one coat of International gloss, heavily thinned. This gave us a very nice finish, which has survived well so far.

My own experience though, is do not underestimate how much boat there is to cover. I was quite amazed at just how big a 32' hull is when you;ve got to paint it all 4 times :o

Hi Jonny,

It is a subject I know little about however painting outside in our climate has to be a nightmare, particularly when you try to do it to a specific date rather than when the weather suits. Preparation is not so weather dependant but to actually paint the working day must be very short even in the finest weather, ie for all the dew to dry off and then the paint to dry before the evening gets damp. ( probably get about a 4 hr window) The other thing to take advice on is paint type compatability, it can be a nightmare. As for using domestic paint I aint sure but I do know that white boats seem to stay white but the

house paint always seems to go yellow.

Hope to see you soon

Gordon

Will be better when its a nice blue hood on it

Andy

now hes thinking i need a bow & stern thruster as i dont trust my self not that scratch the paint work :lol::lol:

realy nice job Richo's have done cheersbarcheersbar