Guy Martin

It would never happen Polly, no matter who was driving the car and riding the bike.  Years ago now Top Gear did something similar at Donnington, there was a WRC rally car top end spec, a superbike and an F1. Just one lap, the bike set of first followed by the WRC car and lastly the F1, The bike was halfway round the track, the WRC about a third way round before the F1 set off and it still creamed the both of them.

Having said that I agree, that Guy Martin has 'Cojonas' bigger than warship fenders and probably made of titanium - love to meet him

Griff

• Like 4

Yes, watched it, but thought the Tyco BMW Superbike was NOT the right match. Seeing as F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, being purely prototype racer, with NOTHING production on it,  it was`nt really a fair match pitting it up against a tuned road bike. Yes, it DOES have race tuned this and that, but superbikes of today are only EVO spec, and not full race spec, being they have to use many of the production road going parts, such as crank (though lightened and balanced, con rods, pistons, engine casings etc etc. A much fairer comparison would have been to run the F1 car against a full on Moto GP bike, like the Yamaha M1 of Valentino Rossi, or Jorge Lorenzo, or the Honda RC214 of the like of Dani Pedrosa or Marc Marquez. Moto GP bikes are pure full on prototypes, with road going equipment outlawed, and not only do they produce around 250+ bhp, approx 50 hp more than an evo spec superbike, they weigh in at about 3/4 of the max weight. Should they have compared like for like, then the Moto GP bike might have won the drag race, along with the braking, but i still think the F1 car would have wone the outright 3 / 4 lap race.  But then it would`nt have been Guy Martins SPEED would it, and i doubt they would have had many viewers either, especially when you consider Guys enormous popularity?.

Still a great programme, and well worth watching.

• Like 1

ST - Agreed - BUT   D.C made a hash of both the drag race and the braking disciplines, the drag race too much wheelspin on the start losing time and locking up under braking cost him dear too -  I suspect this was done on purpose to make the result closer and better effect for the programme

Griff

10 hours ago, Dajen said:

That would have been even more unfair, riding a moto GP bike takes a completely different set of skills to riding a superbike, people who have tried to switch between the 2 disciplines have had great trouble adapting so I assume they picked a bike that suited best Martins riding experience and style, as you saya lot of the programme was based on his popularity and audience appeal. if they had used a top MotoGP rider the appeal would have been much more limited.

Dave

Maybe i did`nt write it the way i should have, because when i mentioned full on Moto GP bikes, i meant with the very riders that race them in the Moto GP championship. Sorry for that Dave, should have been a bit clearer in my post. 

You`re spot on re the 2 classes, but some have adapted well. Cal Crutchlow was in BSB, then WSP, and came to Moto GP from WSP as a reigning champion. However, there have as you say been some spectacular failures, such as James Toseland. and others before and after him.  Guy Martin though (to the best of MY knowledge) has never ridden a Moto GP machine of any vintage.

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

ST - Agreed - BUT   D.C made a hash of both the drag race and the braking disciplines, the drag race too much wheelspin on the start losing time and locking up under braking cost him dear too -  I suspect this was done on purpose to make the result closer and better effect for the programme

Griff

I know what you`re saying Griff, but i think the car that DC drove was in its race format, when traction control, and ABS was outlawed, so i don`t think the wheelspinning and locked brakes were any real issue. What i DID think was a bit biased towards the bike was the slalom. Maybe had the bike gone through a slalom course that was set out at the same percentage distance as it was for the car, meaning the distance between the cones should have been shorter, the result might have been a clean sweep for the car?.

No, he's got an incredible set of spanners, he showed us a few years ago! Also read in the paper yesterday he's been diagnosed with Aspbergers - means he doesn't relate well to emotions and social interaction. Perhaps explains why he seems fearless in most things dangerous! Seems to get on OK with everyone he meets, though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Regulo said:

No, he's got an incredible set of spanners, he showed us a few years ago! Also read in the paper yesterday he's been diagnosed with Aspbergers - means he doesn't relate well to emotions and social interaction. Perhaps explains why he seems fearless in most things dangerous! Seems to get on OK with everyone he meets, though.

It also might explain why he shuns the corperate nesseceites, like public engagements, press confrences etc. That`s one of the main reasons why he was dropped by the mighty Honda, because he used to diasappear on his mountain bike, and go off road somewhere, and taking a book with him. I did read in the MCN some years back that Honda top brass where livid because he refused to go to a post race press conference, for which they`d promised unlimited access for as long as they wanted.  I have to admire ANYONE who turns their back on big money etc, because they value their privacy, integrity and self respect far higher. Something a few more of the so called big stars should think about.

I loved the films he made in India. Whilst most po-faced commentators  wring their hands and moan predictably about the poverty and social inequality of the slums, he actually went in and talked to the inhabitants, emerging with the controversial view that they are actually places, where people are very socially connected and, by and large, can live happily for very little.

cheers

Steve

• Like 3