North Or South

Steve2604

I need some advice off some of you experts. I will be onbthe broads for the first time in a few weeks and cant wait. The boat we have hired is to high to go under Potter Heigham, Beccles, Wayford and Wroxham bridges. Will I still have plenty to see or do or is it worth taking a few days down South?

Hi Steve2604,

Welcome aboard the NBN Forum:wave. My advice would be to stick to the North Broads being as its your first time handling a Broads cruiser. There is plenty to see and do, and please take your time and take it all in.

If you have kids,you can go up to Wroxham moor at the yards before the bridge and take them  see the Model Railway there. If no kids, its still worth a visit IMHO. Watch out for the Broadcaster 2016 paper http://html5.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=Broadcaster&pubid=d55702b1-4b67-415b-ae69-0ad00f49e71f   Take it nice and slow is my main advice, its not a race!:norty:

cheersIain

• Like 5

Totally agree with Iain, loads to do and see in the North for a week, if you have hired for two weeks then definitely go South, it's just as beautiful but always seems less crowded, Oulton and Rockland Broads not to be missed and contrary to what some believe the trip across Breydon is fantastic, take it easy, take it slow and always wear your lifejackets.

There are some great pubs North and South, we just cannot cruise past the Bridge Inn at Acle, fantastic pub for the whole family. Coldham Hall and the Reedham Ferry pubs are also brilliant in beautiful loations (you can tell what we like to do on holiday lol), Whatever you do or wherever you go you will have a wonderful time, fall in love with the damn place and go back year after year, have a lovely time :wave

Grace

• Like 4

Hi Steve, welcome from me too.

You don`t say whether this is your first time BOATING or whether it`s your first time on the Broads, which might help with a few more recommendations?.  If it IS your first time boating, and you`re there for a week, stay North, as the tides are far less noticeable, which can be a little intimidating for the first timer, tough if you take advice, you SHOULD`NT have any problems whatsoever. Where have you hired from, and what boat?. If staying North, then i would certainly go for Womack staithe, as it`s a beautiful overnight mooring, with a 5-10 minute walk to the village with a great pub, and fantastic tea shop. Even though you can`t get under the bridge, Wroxham is always a great place to stop, where you can find everything you need in loads of shops, plus some good places for food and drinks, and also, take a walk up to the railway station, and take a run up to Aylsham on the minature railway. Other nice moorings are Neatishead staithe and Barton Turf, both just off Barton Broad, as well as Wayford Bridge, even though you can`t get under the bridge, there are 2-3 good moorings imediately BEFORE the bridge on the North bank, where you can walk under the bridge, and across to the Hotel, which has had good reviews on this forum. Also, Stalham is home to the Broads museum, which is also well worth a visit. The golden rule is don`t rush, take it easy, and relax and enjoy the slower pace of life.

• Like 2

Thank you folks. I was hoping you would all say stay north for your visit. Im hiring from Herbert Woods and its first time on broads but have only done canals previously. Any other places to stop or visit will be gratefully appreciated (including pubs!)

• Like 1

Pubs! Now you're talking. cheersbar

As Grace mentioned the Bridge Inn is a must IMHO. Excellent pub. If you moor at Salhouse Broad and don't mind a walk you can get to the Fur and Feather at Woodbastwick next to the Woodfordes Brewery. The Ferry at Stokesby has changed hands recently and looks to be on the up. Horning is always a popular spot although the moorings get very busy.

The White Horse at Upton is a superb village pub but access via Upton Dyke can be a bit tricky as its very narrow.

The White Horse at Neatishead has just won the CAMRA rural pub of the year award and definitely worth a visit.

Few to be going on with and I'm sure the other good members will have recommendations too

Enjoy! cheersbar

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Pubs! Now you're talking. cheersbar

As Grace mentioned the Bridge Inn is a must IMHO. Excellent pub. If you moor at Salhouse Broad and don't mind a walk you can get to the Fur and Feather at Woodbastwick next to the Woodfordes Brewery. The Ferry at Stokesby has changed hands recently and looks to be on the up. Horning is always a popular spot although the moorings get very busy.

The White Horse at Upton is a superb village pub but access via Upton Dyke can be a bit tricky as its very narrow.

The White Horse at Neatishead has just won the CAMRA rural pub of the year award and definitely worth a visit.

Few to be going on with and I'm sure the other good members will have recommendations too

Enjoy! cheersbar

Will the popular moorings (ie; horning) still be busy this time of year?

Hi Steve

You don't say exactly when you are going but I'm guessing April/May? Apart from school holidays it will probably be less busy at the 'hotspots' like Ranworth and Horning but still quite popular.

You can book a mooring at the New Inn in Horning but the deal is  you have to book a meal although the mooring is free . The other 2 pubs are day boats only during the day but you can moor overnight for a fee (10 quid I think) Otherwise you should get on the public moorings if you can arrive a bit earlier. Its nothing like as busy as the main school holidays though!

Definitely stay North for the first trip... otherwise you lose a big chunk of your holiday motoring down and through Taking and back again! If you want to spend a week down South, better to hire there... 

Lots to see and do on the Northern Rivers, but take it easy... don't try to do it all! If you want to go a bit further than the bridges permit, hire a dinghy as well!

20 minutes ago, Steve2604 said:

We are going 23rd April for a week, the thinking was that as we are first timers on the Broads this would be better than 'peak times'

Yes, probably a good time to go. It should be fairly quiet and of course its the closed season for fishing which helps as well.

Maybe avoid Horning/ Ranworth on the Sunday as it will be busier with private owners over the weekend. But you should be fine.

As others have said take it steady and enjoy!

We are there the same week but hiring from the south and will probably be staying south ( we do the north in September)

another place we like is South Walsham, the Water Gardens are very good but rarely seem to get a mention ( probably because there's no pub cheersbar) it's a bit of a walk but it's worth a look

I do agree with everyone else and would say stay north for your first visit. You WILL be back

have a great time

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Definitely stay North for the first trip... otherwise you lose a big chunk of your holiday motoring down and through Taking and back again! If you want to spend a week down South, better to hire there... 

Lots to see and do on the Northern Rivers, but take it easy... don't try to do it all! If you want to go a bit further than the bridges permit, hire a dinghy as well!

Now that is a good call..... Hire a dinghy/day boat. I take it there plenty of pubs the other side of Potter Heigham bridge?

:welcome: to the forum Steve. We travel 19 or 20 hours to get to the boat yard and we think it is worth it, so I am sure you will fall in love with the Broads. As all have said, take it easy and enjoy, because you WILL be back to do it again and again and again........

• Like 1

Steve , you can take either a standard day boat or a picnic boat from Herbert Woods to get under the Bridge and into the     Upper Thurne system , probably the quietest section of the Broads. If you took a   picnic boat you can only book the full  day  in advance not the half day. You  can also moor your hire boat  in their yard .

For pubs  

You have the Lion at West Sommerton, http://www.somertonlion.co.uk/ 

The Pleasure Boat at Hickling (great if you like Ciders) http://www.thepleasureboat.com/

Also the Nelson  Head near by to Horsey Dyke and  could  also make a visit to Horsey gap to see the Seal colony

http://thenelsonhead.com/

Have a great time. 

• Like 1

Agree with Mark, the Pleasure Boat and Nelson Head in particular are excellent pubs and I would heartily recommend them. Also Phoenix fleet hire dayboats (as do Maycraft I believe) worth checking prices. The Phoenix fleet ones are electric and wonderfully quiet. They handle well too. 

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

Steve , you can take either a standard day boat or a picnic boat from Herbert Woods to get under the Bridge and into the     Upper Thurne system , probably the quietest section of the Broads. If you took a   picnic boat you can only book the full  day  in advance not the half day. You  can also moor your hire boat  in their yard .

For pubs  

You have the Lion at West Sommerton, http://www.somertonlion.co.uk/ 

The Pleasure Boat at Hickling (great if you like Ciders) http://www.thepleasureboat.com/

Also the Nelson  Head near by to Horsey Dyke and  could  also make a visit to Horsey gap to see the Seal colony

http://thenelsonhead.com/

Have a great time. 

Cheers, Ive just spoken to Herbert Woods and they will give me 25% discount off a day boat as we have booked with them for our trip in a few weeks.

• Like 3