North Or South

Steve2604

Hi Steve,

I’ve only just seen this thread and your PM but my views would be that it really depends how much you want to do ‘on shore’ and how comfortable you are spending longer periods of time not just on the boat, but going along. 

I’m now personally of the view that if you wish to spend a week on the Norfolk Broads, and you are not able to get above Wayford, Wroxham or Potter Heigham Bridge’s then you will soon run out of things to see if you just stick to the north rivers and a 4 night short break is a better choice

Therefore I DO think you should go south – as well as seeing the northern rivers.

Now this is easy to say of course, but in reality the tides to passage through Yarmouth are going to be pretty early in the morning – that would be ok for me, it may not be for you but here is what I would do myself...

Take the boat over on the Saturday – having either been to prior to take over, or go to after in the car to Stalham to Tesco to get your provisions (or Roys).  Depart Potter Heigham and take the river Thurne up to the river Bure, turn left and follow the river down to Acle.  Lots of mooring choices here, but aim to moor outside the Bridge Inn (if full Bridgecraft ro Horizon Craft are just two boatyards that you could moor in for free).

Saturday night drinks and food at the Bridge Inn.  Early to bed mind because come Sunday morning you’ve got to be up and ready for the off by sunrise.  We are talking this happening around 04:30 to 04:45 – this is because it will take around 3 hours (ish) to get to Yarmouth and slack water Sunday is said to be 06:59. By the time you arrive it may have just began to turn, but not an issue because this will then aid your progress be you go across Breydon Water to the river Yare (towards the likes of Reedham and Brundall) or the river Waveney for Beccles or Oulton Broad. 

My personal preference would be to head on the Yare – you’ve got a bit less ‘pretty’ to begin, but the beautiful river Chet to Loddon, and once past Reedham things soon open up and get better – see my You Tube channel of when I’ve taken trips south. 

If it was me, I’d likely head for Reedham, moor up and have a doze to recover from the silly awake and early travel, wake up have lunch and then head off for an overnight mooring at Loddon.  

I’d stay south and explore the Yare until Wednesday evening, and catch the 08:14 low water at Yarmouth to return back north.  I would they have all day Wednesday and Thursday and Friday to see the northern rivers and in this time would be able to fit in Ranworth, Wroxham and certainly up the river Ant to Barton Broad before my Friday night spend at Womack Water for early up and away to return the boat at Potter Heigham Saturday morning.

But to do the above would mean obviously spending a lot less time on the shore, walking about or just sitting doing very little and it might not be ‘your cup of tea’ – of that is the case then don’t push yourself and stay north whereby you can have a far more sedate experience and not wake as early or do as many hours cruising each day and allow a few hours mooching about in the various places your sure to come across like Wroxham, Horning etc.

Finally... Please don’t be put off going on the southern rivers for a first time – the only factors your find different there than the northern rivers is the closer you are to Breydon Water the more current influence your get to hinder or aid progress, along with a greater and rise and fall of the tide.  It is real common sense stuff to ensure you leave slack in your lines and check them where possible before leaving the boat or turning in the for the night.

Your also find distances between two places greater than on the northern rivers – instead of a slow half hour to hour cruise to the next place of interest it may be  other than that it is not some scary place that only professional accredited sailors dare venture to lol.

• Like 2

We love the Greyhound, well worth the walk if you have the time...

Steve, why not aim to head back to HW/Potter Heigham early enough to spend your final day above the bridge?  You could still come back and spend your last night on board..

Have a fantastic trip

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Pubs! Now you're talking. cheersbar

As Grace mentioned the Bridge Inn is a must IMHO. Excellent pub. If you moor at Salhouse Broad and don't mind a walk you can get to the Fur and Feather at Woodbastwick next to the Woodfordes Brewery. The Ferry at Stokesby has changed hands recently and looks to be on the up. Horning is always a popular spot although the moorings get very busy.

The White Horse at Upton is a superb village pub but access via Upton Dyke can be a bit tricky as its very narrow.

The White Horse at Neatishead has just won the CAMRA rural pub of the year award and definitely worth a visit.

Few to be going on with and I'm sure the other good members will have recommendations too

Enjoy! cheersbar

Sorry to be a pain. How long will it take roughly to get from Yarmouth to Ranworth?

4 hours ago, Broadsword said:

We love the Greyhound, well worth the walk if you have the time...

Steve, why not aim to head back to HW/Potter Heigham early enough to spend your final day above the bridge?  You could still come back and spend your last night on board..

Have a fantastic trip

A good piece of advice there, though i will add, when you return the dayboat, you can always get back to your hireboat and take a short cruise back down river to either Womack staithe, which should`nt be full that time of year, or Thurne dyke, and have a drink and a meal in the pub?. Also within a half hour cruise would be Upton Dyke, or moor in the main river, though that would require a walk with a good torch when coming back from the pub.

• Like 1

My advice would be to ensure you have a good map with all the moorings marked on them - I haven't hired from Herbert Woods so I don't know if this is something they will give you but if not I would have thought that they will sell them, someone else will probably be able to tell you that. I would also print out a chart of the time to travel between different places, there are some very comprehensive ones available on various websites. That way you will have an idea of how long to get from A to B plus be able to check out where the next moorings are if by any chance the one you really want is full. Not that I would think you will have that problem in April ... but who knows when your second trip will be!

• Like 1

I'm soon to be a 4 times in a row hirer from Herbert Woods and yes you do get an excellent map in your welcome pack . They have always been faultless in my experiences, so I think you've made a good choice .

Dont be afraid to mud weight on a broad one night, especially if it's nice and calm. Any doubts and do it one afternoon just to get the feel and confidence for it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I'm soon to be a 4 times in a row hirer from Herbert Woods and yes you do get an excellent map in your welcome pack . They have always been faultless in my experiences, so I think you've made a good choice .

Dont be afraid to mud weight on a broad one night, especially if it's nice and calm. Any doubts and do it one afternoon just to get the feel and confidence for it.

Never thought about mud weighting to be honest. Is it just a case of dropping the weight? Excuse my ignorance

15 hours ago, Steve2604 said:

Now that is a good call..... Hire a dinghy/day boat. I take it there plenty of pubs the other side of Potter Heigham bridge?

We hired a dayboat when we were on the Broads last September, so we could take a trip to Horsey and walk to the beach.  You can read my account of the holiday including photos of the seals at Horsey Beach here;

Have a great time - I had my first hioliday on the Broads in 1969 and have visited regularly ever since.

• Like 2

Agree with Wonderwall, mud weighting, also wild mooring, find a safe bank for both you and the Boat stick your rhond anchors in or find a nice little inlet , gently nudge the Boat in and tie to trees, you feel like you are the only people on the planet, sheer bliss. You won't need the tv when you've got the river to look at and the wildlife to hear. You do drift a bit when mud weighting but the feeling is so relaxing, plays havoc with the fishing though lol

Always take care to check the banks and river for under water obstructions when wild mooring or tying to trees, above all else just go where the rivers take you and have a brilliant time

Grace

• Like 3

Yes I agree with Mouldy.Its well worth going to Horsey,where the car park is there is a van selling tea coffee  and snacks,thankfully  that's all there is,on the beach  watching  the seals  watching  you.Stop off on the way back for a drink at the Nelson

Ian

29 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yes I agree with Mouldy.Its well worth going to Horsey,where the car park is there is a van selling tea coffee  and snacks,thankfully  that's all there is,on the beach  watching  the seals  watching  you.Stop off on the way back for a drink at the Nelson

Ian

Thank you. Do you think the     popular moorings will be busy still end of April?