Broads Venture 4

About 35 years ago (gulp) my family and cousins hired a big old wooden boat from Richardsons .

i think it was called broads venture 4 and must have slept about 10. It was a big old heavy beast and it was quite a blowy week.

Unfortunately the people who would know for sure about the boat are no longer here. I was just wondering if anyone else came across this boat, or if in fact my mind is playing tricks with me.  It was a special holiday for me , one where I felt I gained some skill in piloting a vessel which was easily dictated to by wind and tide.

Happy memories of good times and great people , it's,what it's all about isn't it.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Hee hee 😁, look what I found when surfing the net, looking for the same answer I was searching for 5+ years ago. I got a reply from myself 😂😂
And as a Bruce bonus, I read Broadscots voice, which was always a pleasure . I still have all the pm’s we shared , he was a good man to me, and many others I’m sure .

Hope your sleeping well big fella 💚

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Hee hee 😁, look what I found when surfing the net, looking for the same answer I was searching for 5+ years ago. I got a reply from myself 😂😂
And as a Bruce bonus, I read Broadscots voice, which was always a pleasure . I still have all the pm’s we shared , he was a good man to me, and many others I’m sure .

Hope your sleeping well big fella 💚

Their is a broads venture sitting in a certain shed in Horning I believe. I'm sure the owner has lots of info on these boats 😉

• Like 1

I don't have loads of info but I do have Broadsventure sitting in my shed! 

If you look on Flick r there are loads of pictures Terry Baldry has posted of the yard in the 60s... he was on here as Broadlander 3

It doesn’t half take you back 🤩

As beautiful as the woodies are , some do look like they have been around for an age even then!  It shows how times ave changed , with people now wanting floating apartments .

My memory of the holiday on broads venture is , despite it being somewhat cramped, it was heavenly . I can still smell the mix of diesel and wood. My uncle was an experienced pilot, but he struggled sometimes when the wind blew hard. MY Mum got left ashore when untying as the wind took the boat before she could climb aboard 😀.

We got under Potter that year as well, and apart from on a day boat, I didn’t manage that again for another 30 years 🤣.

• Like 2