Riyadhcrew Onboard

riyadhcrew

Day 7 – Friday April 8

Lovely quiet night in Potter with no squeaks, so slept until 5.30am, which is late for me but hey, I’m on holiday. Heating on, TV on for the news and kettle on for coffee. Thought that I would spoil myself for breakfast this morning, so I fried up some sausages and black pudding with Hovis bread and butter. It was delicious and I left some of the sausages for the girls. Sat in the peace and quiet wondering where to go today, as we had to take the boat back to Stalham tomorrow morning. I decided to wait until the crew got up and we would make a joint decision on what we would do.

Girls got up around 8.00am and I got the engine started for hot water. They made their usual breakfast and I had yet another cup of coffee, before getting some warm clothes on and preparing to make a move. The girls untied while I kept the boat against the banking with the thrusters and then it was bow out using the thruster and away we went for a slow pootle down through Bungalow Boulevard and the Thurne to turn right on the Bure. We passed quite a few boats on the river and on the way passed St Bennets, before we turned up the Ant and headed for Ludham Bridge. The height marker said 8ft and I needed 8ft, but I was confident that there would be enough space. I got on my knees behind the wheel on the fly bridge and went forwards slowly until I was sure we would get under and put the throttle forward. We cleared by a few inches and on we went up the Ant through Irstead and on to Barton Broad.

We had decided to go to Sutton Staithe for lunch in the hotel and there were plenty of empty moorings. I turned the boat through 180 degrees just before the electric post and we moored up facing the way we wanted to go when leaving. The hotel was quiet and it was easy to find a table for lunch. Skye had Steak & Kidney pudding again, Chloe just had soup and bread and I had a gammon steak and chips. Lunch was very nice and washed down with a couple of pints of John Smiths.

We decided we would go back to Richos for the night to avoid trying to find a mooring in what would probably be a very busy morning of returning boats, which it was. Majority of packing was done, car was brought round to the stern of the boat and we were all starting to get a little sad about our brilliant holiday being almost over.

We decided to have a walk into Stalham for a look around and then we got a Chinese take-away to bring back to the boat for dinner. A few drinks, did up the dishes, watched NCIS for an hour and then it was off to bed.

Woke up early on Saturday morning and got the heating on. There were no occupied boats next to us, so I started the engine at 6.30am for hot water. Breakfast and showers had, packing finished, boat cleaned up and the car was packed and ready to go by 9.00am

No hurry here, as our flight was not until 5.00pm from Gatwick.

I will do one more post on the boat and its techy bits tomorrow.

• Like 11

COMMODORE 1 THE BOAT and TECHY BITS

The following is a purely personal opinion from myself and the girls. It is in no-way meant to be an expert or professional opinion.

The boat is entirely built and fitted out by Richardsons and is based on their 45ft hull. The fit out is to a good standard and there were no squeaks or rattles from the inside of the boat at any RPMs.

The bow double cabin is the same as Carousel and Broadsman and has its own on-suite toilet and shower which is a decent size. The rear double cabin has plenty of space, and a walk-round bed. The rear cabin on-suite toilet and shower is also a decent size. The mid cabin can have 2 singles or a double and is tight. Chloe found it almost impossible to fit the linen to the bottom of the bed, as it is under the salon seating. The mid cabin toilet and shower was adequate and has a lovely glass door for water protection.

The salon has central stairs to the fly bridge which are very steep and care must be taken, especially on the way down. There is U shaped raised sofa style seating to starboard which was comfortable for the 3 of us and would be adequate for 4 or 5. The boat is capable of taking 8 and no way could they all sit round to eat. There is a double leaf fold-up table, but I couldn’t work out how to fold up both leafs at the same time as there just wasn’t the space.

The galley is small, as is the fridge and is definitely a “1 cook only” model. Saying that and because we only cooked breakfast and heated up a few pies, it was more than adequate for us and everything we needed was there.

The internal helm station is to port and very comfortable, although forward vision was limited and the rear facing camera screen had to be looked at from a distance of a few inches. There is a sliding door to port, just behind the helm seat which opened straight onto the side deck.

The fly bridge has the upper steering position and enough space to have ballroom dancing classes. Obviously, the vision from up here was amazing and the entire boat could be seen from the 3-person seat. Stairs lead down to the large aft deck, to make very easy to step on and off the boat when stern moored. Another door opens from the upper helm station to the starboard side deck for mooring, etc. The door to the salon and the door to port both had central locking, like a car and this was a nice touch.

TECHI BITS

TVs are fitted in the salon, front bedroom and rear bedroom. Reception was good from the old style TV antenna in all areas we stopped in.

Heating was good in the bedrooms but very slow in the salon. There is a good de-misting vent for the windscreen.

The drive is hydraulic but was very responsive and plenty of power was available. I felt that the thrusters worked better on this boat and it was as if extra RPMs were put on the engine when the thrusters were used. Mooring in tight spaces and turning around through 180 degrees was made easy.

Fuel consumption was 160 litres for the week and I reckon half of that was on the heating.

I think Commodore has been fitted with a new type of battery and we never experienced any problems at all and never needed to start the engine for charging.

The boatyard staff were excellent as usual and I have nothing but praise for them.

BIG QUESTIONS

Would I hire Commodore again? – MOST DEFINITELY

What’s my next boat from Richos? – MOROCO 1 on March 31st of next year.

• Like 8

Always interesting to read people's opinions of the boats that they have hired. Sounds like you had plenty of space for the three of you overall. Looks like a very sleek design for a fly bridge cruiser - I'm guessing that's because you've really got to be able to get under Ludham Bridge when hiring from Richardson's otherwise your options would be extremely limited.

• Like 2

Great thread, an its turned my mind to our get away starting next Friday, also hiring from Richardsons, but something a bit older. WHich reminds me must trawl through my photos from previous holidays and post them up.

• Like 2

Brilliant trip review. Glad you guys had fun!  Commodore looks and sounds amazing. Shame we didn't manage to get up and see you. Hopefully very soon though! 

P.s how did your wife get on in Milan of? Hope here excess baggage charge (all those designer cloths) was manageable! :hardhat:cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Brilliant trip review. Glad you guys had fun!  Commodore looks and sounds amazing. Shame we didn't manage to get up and see you. Hopefully very soon though! 

P.s how did your wife get on in Milan of? Hope here excess baggage charge (all those designer cloths) was manageable! :hardhat:cheers 

The last time we were in Italy, money disappeared faster than a Magician could make it disappear! They know how to charge in Northern Italy, Verona, Venice and Limone. :hardhat:

cheersIain

• Like 1

:wave hi eric, it was a nice read, thankyou for sharing your tale, you certainly like your sausages do'nt you ? lol , did you have to declare the extra weight at the airport when you went back ? hahaha.  you've made me pine for the broads again, wish i was hiring a boat now instead of a houseboat :facepalm:  lori

• Like 3

I think if you are not local then once in a while a houseboat is a good bet. 

There is a lot more to Norfolk than the Broads. 

Using the car will open up the delights of the North Coast. Cromer and Sheringham have much interest but the wilds of the Seamarsh Coast, Cley and Salthouse reserves, Blakeney, Morston, Wells, Holkheim, Burnham Overy and Brancaster Staithes. Will truly inspire, trust me. You will not be disappointed.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

I don't know if I could go on a houseboat - I think I would be trying to untie it every morning.

I have to agree. The only exception being those from Whispering Reeds up on Hickling, which whenever I do get under that bridge always take my eye.

Fred

• Like 1

I have stayed twice at the Whispering Reeds Houseboats, the views from them are stunning. There is a little movement on them, pending where you are walking in it.

You also get a discount on a day boat there when staying on the houeeboat, or I should say, did, may have changed.

cheersIain

• Like 1

16 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

Hi Lori,

Long time no hear from you and I hope this finds you well. I don't know if I could go on a houseboat - I think I would be trying to untie it every morning. lol. We had a great week and can't wait for July.

Take care.

Hi eric, sorry only just replying , hubbies iphone gave up the ghost lol, so i had to set him up with my old note3 ,& he's abit of a technaphobe,i'm fine thanks apart from a sprained ankle, boohoo lol, it's certainly going to be different this year, i might just untie the ropes & hitch a lift from a boat hahaha, we're staying in a nice houseboat though at horning, but i think we'll still be going on some dayboats, so am looking forwards to it,  lori

tmp_13325--1511234881.jpg

• Like 1