Fishing

Poppy

42 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

I know in competitions the end weight needs to be calculated, but how many anglers "need" a keep net outside of a competition...

Rant over, back to work.........

Why not bring in like a lot of sea matches these days measure and return.... then at end of match all the lengths added togeter to find the winner... no nets needed then even in matches

just tuppence worth

Charlie

• Like 3

I agree with the ban the keep net idea. For quite a few years now we have changed the target of competition from 'weight' of fish to 'number' of fish, each angler keeping score with a stitch counter bought from the haberdashery and the fish returned immediately to the water. OK it's open to 'cheating' but we don't compete for any prizes. What it has done is open up the range of fish and tactics used to catch them. Those bleak caught on a size 22-24 are no longer a joke fish under these conditions.

I also agree with tackle shops stepping up and taking a bit of responsibility for what  they are selling to beginners. On our teaching days we go through the tackle the beginners, both kids and adults, bring with them and discard what is inappropriate, unsuitable and down right illegal. When they finish their day's tuition we include plenty of freebies of more appropriate kit that we scrounge from tackle manufacturers who are more than willing to contribute.

As far as the rod license goes I teach the beginners this. The rod license is not a contract between the EA and a 'customer'. The rod license, just like a gun license, means you are licensed to use equipment that is dangerous and can cause considerable damage, to fish, other wildlife, members of the public and yourself. Having a license is a privilege and not a right. It 's an attitude that seems to work well with the kids who look forward to purchasing their license. We make a bit of a fuss when the kids get their first license.

Apart from people fishing out of season I have four gripes concerning angling on the Broads. The first is the 'silent row boat angler' who slips along the bank between the boats and starts fishing in my swim. Just a personal gripe that one. The second is the plank that sticks a large weight on their line, casts from the far bank and either hits the trees on the far bank, me or worse...my boat. The second leads me to the third which is the amount of line tangled in trees. Several times I have come to a wild mooring, usually up the Ant, and nearly been garotted by discarded fishing line. Finally we come to the pillocks that leave hooks baited overnight, both in the water and on top of their boat. A couple of years back I was walking the dogs along the moorings at St Benet's in the early morning. The sun was just coming up and there were quite a few boats moored. Four of them had left baited hooks on top of the boat and each had hooked a small bird. I had to nip back to my boat for a landing net to catch them and a disgorger and small pliers to free them. This is the sort of pillock that gives angling a bad name and get's an ear'oling at five in the morning.

• Like 5