Rotting ropes????

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. Has anyone had experience of nylon ropes rotting in the atmosphere? If so what causes it? The ropes I have used as fender lines on "Evening Star" have all gone powdery to the touch and are weak to the point where you can break them by just lightly pulling, and they are only a year old, any ideas???

cheers!

Andy

You say "Nylon", but are they perhaps "Polypropylene" ?

I've used Nylon and Polyester ropes for many years now, with some left exposed on deck throughout the year in all weathers. They do discolour and harden, but they've never become weaker or frayed, even after several years. When my fender lines become too stiff to untie, I put them in the washing machine, and they come up like new.

By contrast Polypropylene ropes, (much cheaper and widely used on hire boats), disintegrate very rapidly in use. The strands are much more loosely woven and deteriorate rapidly in sunlight.

Polypropylene can be identified by the much rougher texture, even when new, like old fashioned parcel string. By contrast, new Nylon & Polyester is quite silky to the touch, and with a much tighter weave.