Jump to content

The Travels Of Crown Gem 2.

Recommended Posts

24th June: Introducing the next generation.  

Me and my brother had discussed loads of times about going out on the boat. Finally got round to it. Dropped the wife and sister in law off with a few quid at Roys for some shopping and a bottle of wine in the pub afterwards. We headed to the boat with my youngest and my middle and youngest nieces.

The youngest niece is just short of her 2nd birthday. She was not happy when first on the boat. She clung to her dad like her life depended on it. By the time we had got to Ludham bridge for lunch she was waving at every boat and saying "boat". She has spent the whole week saying to my brother "boat". So I guess there is a new fan of the broads. 

2nd July: Day out with the wife's uncle.

The wife's uncle hadn't been on the broads for 15 years or so. We offered to take him out for the day. 

Early ish start from home. Picked up the wife's uncle and decided to head up the A12 from Ipswich rather than the A140. Made a nice change and some different country side. Got to Stalham about 8:30, popped into tesco and stocked up on some prepacked sarnies and sausage rolls. Headed over to CG2, loaded all the bits and bobs on, pre start checks done, had a look at the weather and decided to drop the canopy. Started off down the river from base to be nearly clattered by a hire boat leaving the main Richardson's yard. The guy in the hire boat wasn't even aware of us being there. Pottered down the river and across a windy Barton. By the time we got to Ludham bridge the wind was making it very chilly. So in a backward step from usual with a boat, we stopped before we went through the bridge to put the canopy up. Showing over 8ft we sailed through anyway. Headed for Ranworth with idea of stopping for lunch, grabbing an ice cream and heading back to base. Upon arrival, ranworth was busy but had half spaces between a few boats. We decided to drop the mudweight and have lunch in the middle of the broad. By the time we had finished the sarnies a space had opened up so we slide in. The mrs and kids headed for the shop and got an ice cream each and some of the floating duck food. Loads of young geese to fed on the way back. We had an uneventful return journey until we had just got across Barton and the heavens opened. Black sky and heavy rain. This continued until we made the turn to head towards Stalham. Then the sun returned just in time to pop the boat back on her mooring. Cleaned up and ready for the next visit. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Sponsors

    Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.