A day or two on the Thames...

Originally posted 04/02/2010 by Dan (pid 24)

Hi Folks  

I was suprised to recently discover that Caversham Boat Services have a Buccaneer 37 MkIII that they let out for the day, or on an overnight basis.  Her size and the location make her a bit pricey as dayboats go, but then I guess she is no ordinary dayboat!  I last saw her in 2007 when she was with Bridge Boats and looked in very original standard and a bit dated inside, which I guess why she is not in their holiday hire-fleet.  Anyhow, there's been some talk of a little tryout on the Thames on here, so I thought I'd post it up... click on "Day Cruisers" <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cavershamboatservices.co.uk/">http://www.cavershamboatservices.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->  All the best  Dan

Originally posted 05/02/2010 by Nick West (pid 25)

Hi Dan,

Great fun, we might just do that in the summer, I would love to explore the Thames. As it looks like you have explored most of the river systems and waterway's around Britain (and France?) what would your favorite waterway be? Just interested to know, and don't say they are all nice, it depends on what you want and how long you are going for!!!!!!!ha ha. :lol:  :lol:

Originally posted 05/02/2010 by Dan (pid 27)

Hi Nick  

My favourite is the Broads.  It's where I am constantly thinking of, and as the years have passed I have needed to visit more and more to be able to get through each year!  :D   However, I love going on the waterways abroad, and if there was an endless pot of cash I'd be having at least one holiday in France each year I reckon until I had covered everywhere.  The combination of a boating holiday and warmer temperatire (in theory) make for the best holiday ever.  The week we spent in the South of France from St Gilles to Port Cassafieres was one of my all time favourite holidays.   I'd also like to get back to Ireland one year and go from Carrick and head north.  In terms of exceeding my expectations the first trip we had on the Thames in 2002 from one of my all time favourite yards at Thames Ditton (Ferryline) definately wins this prize.  We only booked it for a change of UK holiday, and it was great.  It was far prettier and more varied & interesting than any of us ever expected, and the river at Windsor, with the view of the castle takes some beating.  We loved it so much the next year we hired "Lady Diana" from Kris Cruisers as Ferryline had closed (sob sob).  This was equally as enjoyable, as all my Thames trips have been.  Only the increased hire cost & limited choices stops me venturing off there more often.  Anyway, all this is making me want to get some holidays booked so hopefully that is enough for now!!  :D  

Dan

• Like 1

Originally posted 06/02/2010 by Nick West (pid 37)

Hi Dan,  

Good read thanks, I have only ever had a boat on the broads, I would love to travel down through France during the summer in hopefully hot weather, I have seen some programs on the telly about boating through France and have wondered if you can find Bars, Restaurants etc for every evening? as part of our holiday fun is to sample the local's wine and cooking. As I have said on another page I would also like to travel the Thames, not sure how far you can get in a week though? Still with 120 miles of the Broads to explore (we seem to find something different every time we go out) I think we will be spending certainly most of this year around Norfolk, and North Suffolk. We went up to the old girl today to check everything was OK and the bilge was working etc, although very cold and damp (a lot of mist) it was very peaceful and tranquil in the yard with not many people about, cant wait till the weather is a little better and take her out before the waterways get to busy.  :P  

Nick.

Originally posted 06/02/2010 by bitingmidge (pid 35)

I would love to travel down through France during the summer in hopefully hot weather, I have seen some programs on the telly about boating through France and have wondered if you can find Bars, Restaurants etc for every evening? as part of our holiday fun is to sample the local's wine and cooking.

Hi Nick,   The broad answer to your question is "yes" and of course "maybe".  You can always schedule a day's run between food and refreshment stops just about everywhere, particularly if you take some of the more popular routes which service the larger charter fleets.  In the event that you find yourself between restaurants, there's always ample opportunity to stock up on local produce.  

cheers,  P

Originally posted 13/04/2010 by Guest (pid 235)

Hi Nick   However, I love going on the waterways abroad, and if there was an endless pot of cash I'd be having at least one holiday in France each year I reckon until I had covered everywhere.  The combination of a boating holiday and warmer temperatire (in theory) make for the best holiday ever.  The week we spent in the South of France from St Gilles to Port Cassafieres was one of my all time favourite holidays.   I'd also like to get back to Ireland one year and go from Carrick and head north.  Dan

I was very interested to read this Dan, since we have an ex Crown Blue Bounty 34 we bought in Cassafieres and now moored in St Gilles (see the boat section of the forum for pictures). We plan to make the return trip in May-June again this year......I can't wait!

All the best,

Andrew.

Originally posted 16/04/2010 by Dan (pid 247)

Hi Andrew  

I'm jealous.. a lovely region to have a boat in!  I hope to return before too long and will maybe go from Port Cassafieres to Castlenaudary, but I have been thinking this for five years at least, so maybe one day!  :D  

Dan