Lightroom 2 again

newf

O.K. all you lightroom buffs I could do with some help . I have been battleing with the slideshow module and although some progress I am stuck. I have tried tutorials but some basics seem to be missing. I have been experimenting and after some success I need to undo all I have done and start again but I cant find how. :oops: also how to save each shot before going onto the next. Any help appreciated

Newf

Colin cheerscheers

Hi Colin.

Lightroom has infinite levels of undo, so you can go back as far as you like, undoing each step one at a time, using Undo from the Edit menu (it's context sensitive, so it will tell you what it's about to undo, e.g "Undo selection"), or keyboard shortcut Command Z (command key plus the Z key) on a Mac or Control Z (PC).

Edit: If it's just one image where you want to undo your work, in the develop module click "reset" at the bottom right for a reset back to the original RAW file, or go to the history panel at bottom left and click on the last history item you're happy with with (i.e immediately before the step where it all started to go horribly wrong :cry: ). All the later stages will disappear.

You don't need to save your work on an image before moving on to the next one - Lightroom automatically updates the XML file which it attaches to the image, each time you make a change.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Morning Bruce, Thanks for that, solved one question. Next one, when I include descriptive text on a pic. and go to the next pic. the text follows into the second one but I need to maybe change the text for this, do I save the first pic. before going onto the second and if so how ?

Colin :oops:

Colin, are you applying the caption in the library module (i.e in the right panel)? If you do, when you go to the slideshow module each image will have the individual caption that you added in the Library view. I suspect that what you were doing was adding text in the slideshow module, which then assumes you want the same text for each slide. Basically, the library is the place do do everything related to captions, metadata, keywording etc.; do any changes to the image in the develop module; and then take the images you have worked on into slideshow, web or print in order to present them for output.

You can't save anything in Lightroom - nothing needs to be saved, because the database keeps track of all the changes to the sidecar XML files. Hard to get used to at first because we're so used to the risk of losing work if we don't save, but you'll come to appreciate the freedom (and the ability to undo changes)!

Bruce

Bruce as usual a wealth of information and I wish I had the ability to absorb it all but you have once again explained things more so than the tutorials. I'll now carry on to the next hiccup,

See you on the 21st.

Colin

Colin, Lightroom doesn't directly burn a slideshow to CD. If you use the Export JPEG or Export PDF buttons at bottom left of the slideshow module when you're ready to go, you can save the individual slides of the slideshow to your computer and then use other software to (for example) compile them into a Powerpoint slideshow or make a DVD or CD etc. If you haven't already done so look at this video: http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1512v1391 - the export bit is around 6 minutes into the video.

Bruce

Right hand panel in the library module - the 4th menu item down is Metadata (after Quick Develop, Keywording and Keyword List). Click on the arrow to the right of the word "Metatdata" and the menu will drop down. The "caption" box is about 12 items down.

Bruce

Edit: Screen grab attached with the box highlighted.

post-175-136713457208_thumb.jpg

Colin, to be fair to Adobe, Lightroom is a very powerful programme with a huge number of features, and it's designed for pro photographers as a workflow tool. It does things that used to need multiple pieces of software for many different tasks, so it's no surprise that it's complicated! I used to use a separate programme for keywording alone, and that was more complex to use than the keywording section of Lightroom - and of course I had to export my files into it (usually Adobe Bridge First, then Photoshop, then into the keywording software and back into Photoshop again ... and on and on!). Yes, you need to find your way around Lightroom, but if you think of it in terms of it being a whole series of integrated separate modules, it becomes clear why it needs some thought to get your head round it. It was never designed to be simple consumer software, like Apple's I-Photo for example.

Keep plugging away! cheersbar

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

hi peeps

i need some help i tried downloading paint shop pro but couldn't download it for some reason and find anything else so i downloaded light room 2.

i have some CD covers but what i want to do is just keep the outline of the text and people ect so the kids can color them in bu i cant do this i need some help is anybody can do this can you please let me know ASAP i have three albums. but there are nine covers that need doing as ive been trying to get it done on LR2 for the last two hours i am rather P OFF as i need them done this afternoon.

cheers Jonny :x :x :x :x :x

Hi Col

I new it would be a long shot all ive managed to do so far as ive neva used LR" before instead of having it in color changed it in to black & white. but there might be somebody who know what there doing with editing suits :-|

Jonny ice slice

Hi Jonny. Unfortunately Lightroom is not what you need for what you're trying to do. :cry It's not intended for graphic design or pixel-level changes of the type you need. I would do the job you're attempting in Photoshop. Your best bet is to keep trying to get hold of PSP, or find some other similar package. if anyone reading this knows of something you can download, no doubt they'll contribute.

I'm not very familiar with Windows any more, but isn't there a programme called Paint that will do pixel-level changes on graphics files?

cheers. xmas6

Bruce