Hi all,

I have a new problem with my chart plotter!!! The Raymarine C80 has been working fine (still not sorted the radar issue though) but we now have a new fault.

The scenario is it keeps tripping the fuse panel on boot up, but (and this is the odd bit) even when the unit is switched off, when I go to the fuse panel to open the circuit, the ammeter needle drops and something is drawing about 10 amps!! then when you power up the Raymarine, within seconds it trips.

Can an nyone suggest where I might start to trace the fault...any likely causes as I dont think its the C80 itself?

Boat wiring not my strong point I might add

Jupes

adam and suzanne

Might be radar connected, the radar scanners (except open array) draw their power direct from the C series direct so the mag may be pulling a bit too much for the fuse. I can't see the plotter itself pulling that much current without causing damage. Try disconnecting the radar plug at the back of the unit and see if it continues.

mmm yes...well just got back from a week on the broads and with the help of johnathan (mariotech) who was with us we ascertained that it was in fact the scanner itself causing the current draw, as disconnecting it completely solved the problem.

Once disconnected, the C80 funstions fine with no extra current draw, albeit with no scanner that never worked anyway.

Got brave and onto the arch and took a look inside the scanner, only to find about 1" of very salty/sandy water which has corroded much of the unit!!! (this might explain why it didnt work in the first place!!) How on earth it got in there in that quantity god only knows but it looks like its had it to me.

Anyone want a knackered 2kw dome???

adam...