Engine ignition procedure

Guest dawnyowner

Guest dawnyowner

Hardly technical, and feel slightly embarrassed posting this but.............. Have finally got hold of my first ever boat with an inboard. An old Dawncraft with a 1.5 BMC. Hired for many years and thought I knew how to at least start one but have looked through all the instructions that came with it and have found different versions of the routine. If I go through this like a fools guide someone can point out which is correct. Key goes in - central and straight.Call this POS 1. Move key to right [ie wrist goes clockwise]. Call this POS 2. Turn slightly further and this is now in the 'heater' position, hold there for the required time and then fully further to the right [clockwise] until engine starts, ease off tension and then key auto goes back to POS 2. The problem. One set of instructions tells me to now move the key back anticlockwise past POS 1 to end up in a new position to left of centre, lets call it POS 4, what it calls the 'ignition on' position. It says POS 2 itself is the 'heater' position. The other instructions dont tell me to do anything after starting so the key remains in POS 2 all the time. Its got me slightly confused and a bit worried. I obviously dont want to burn out the pre-heaters. Another set of instructions is a mix of the two. Two too many instructions. Which is right?

if i read it correctly your doing it right but once the engine is started let go of the key you need do nothing else unless you wish to turn the engine off if so pull the engine stop or if you have engine shut off button once the engine has stopped you will head the buzzer sound now you can turn the key anti clockwise & take the key out if you wish.

Hop that helps

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Guest dawnyowner

Thanks for the replies.

Jonny; Yes no problem, it starts and stops OK but am I burning out the preheaters by just leaving it in POS 2 [sorry about these, but I think it means we all know where the key is this way!] as one of the instructions suggests.

Jimbo; yes there is a position left of centre - key there and the ignition light comes on.

Have you tried turning the key to see if your ignition barrel has a left of centre position?

isn't the heat position to the left on some ignitions ?

Jonny ice sliceice slice

In that case I think you will have to test and see if Pos. 2 is heating the plugs by trying it on a cold engine. turn the key to pos 2 wait for 15 seconds and then go for the start. If it fires up straight away, then do as the instructions say and turn the key to Pos4.

Guest dawnyowner

Ah. Thats going to confuse me even more.

Am sure I am right turning key clockwise to start [well it starts that way!], its after that - do I just leave the key in my POS 2 [which I feel is right] or am I still in the preheat position in my POS 2 and I should turn it all the way back anti clockwise to the left of centre position.I cant believe it would be that easy to leave the key in the pre heater position - people would be burning them out all the time. I obviously want to be charging the batteries and I have a feeling that one of these positions doesnt charge the batteries. Am sure theres nothing unusual or different about my setup - its just the instructions that have now worried me.

I have just found some more instructions where the left and right are totally reversed - the guy must have been standing on his head or leaning in through the sliding roof. Utterly stupid - why keep them all and pass them on?

Have just read your last post Jimbo - yes. Like many BMC its not the best of starters so if it does start after about 15 secs in POS 2 that must be the heater position - I dont think it would start without in this weather.

It certainly won't like starting without heat! If it will at all. Thats why testing the position 2 when the engine is cold should give you a definative answer. The other way of course is to turn the key to position 2 and see if there is current flowing to the plugs with a simple test meter or even a 12v bulb held on the plug contact with a short length of wire to earth to the engine.

Guest dawnyowner

Yep, I will do that. I thought all boats were pretty similar on their ignition positions and my question a bit dim - maybe not so.

Hi Dawnyowner

After researching the market extensivley for a replacement ignition barrel for the new instrument panel for 'ES' it was apparrent that all the suitable options worked in the same way.

Some have the option for an accessory possition to the left of Zero, zero being the point at which the key may be inserted or removed. From zero turning right the first position is the 'run' position the next position is 'heat' (you have to hold the key in this position, if you release then the key will move back to position 1 'run') turning through position 2 to position 3 'start' will crank the engine. Once the engine has fired, releasing the key will return it to position 1 'run' where it should be left until you wish to stop your engine. There is no way (providing your ignition switch is wired correctly) that you will be able to leave the key in any position that will enable the heaters to be energised without holding the key in the 'heat' position. when the key is released it should always return (spring loaded) to the 'run' position 1 state. If you have an accessory position (to the left of zero), this is usually used to provide power to other items such as cig lighters etc.

cheers!

Andy.

Guest dawnyowner

I think that is the definitive answer, thankyou, and confirms what I had thought. I shall double check with a meter as per previous post in case something odd been done, but I dont think so. I shall now travel unworried.

Many thanks to all.