Not Broads but river related. - Stay Safe

Oddfellow

This story has made the national news and press - front page of the Daily Mirror today.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/buxton-river-crash-david-coxs-1555592

This is a tragic story of how a family has been devastated by two accidents that sent two of their cars into a river with the result being the sad loss of father, David.

Now, I know there aren't many roads run alongside the Broad's rivers, but there are ditches and brooks and staithes and so on where accidents can so easily happen, especially in these frozen conditions.

Please, be extra careful.

We know the family that's been devastated by this accident. Ruth, Tess and Ioan who were all involved in this terrible ordeal and I can't really begin to understand how difficult it must be for them to deal with this. I know how much it's attected me today and I can't pretend to be close to the family but it's really hit me (and my lot) hard.

It's easy to come a cropper; please be extra careful on the roads.

We live not far away from the river Wye, and normally its quite shallow, its only the recent wet weather thats swelled it to a depth that has become deep enough for this tradgedy to happen, in summer you can often see kids paddling in it at certain stretches, and its also a river popular with fly fishermen as it passes through the private estates of Haddon and Chatsworth that charge a small fortune for fishing parties to fish from their land.

Im unsure which stretch of road the accident happened, as the road does follow the course of the river for some considerable distance, the stretch from Buxton down to Bakewell does have a few places where the river is only a few feet away from the road, and being one of the highest altitudes in England, its very prone to bad weather and icey roads long before the lower levels get any, and even in Autumn, the fallen leaves from the overhanging trees can make the road very slippery indeed, there are no crash barriers installed, and there have been a fair few Bikers come to a sticky end along that same stretch over the years. I can only think that the poor man who lost his life did so from his injuries and possible hypothermia rather than purely from drowning, I would have thought that even in winter, and in flood, the water would have only been about 4ft deep max before it started to flood the road. A car that entered the water in the upright position simply would not have had the depth to become fully submerged unless it had become overturned and one side of it was completely underwater.

My condolances go out to the family and their friends in their tragic loss.

Julz :wave

A very tradgic story, the cold would have a great effect on the guy who died, thermal shock and the shock of a rollover horrible, living just outside the fens drowing in ditches from rta,s is not uncommon, i personally have lost a car on ice and ended up in a 15 ft ditch, fortuanly it was dry but climing out of the passenger door is a feat (it tries to pin you back in!, srry bouut typos,s my laptops playing up.