Example of how Mailwasher reveals a scam email

Sorry if I may have posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it to another section.

After the interest in my post about Mailwasher in the current NBF thread, I thought it may be of interest to show how Mailwasher strips incoming mail down to the bare bones and shows the real link addresses etc..

Just arrived this evening was a regular spoof from a Polish ( .pl ) web address trying to get my Paypal login details.

Here's a screen dump of how Mailwasher displays it.

The header section at the top shows it simply as coming from Paypal, whereas the link address in the body of the text that I've outlined in red shows the real link address as well as the innocuous displayed one, as it would appear within most email software. As you can see, the link would take you to a zip file on a Polish website.

post-195-0-00018900-1384037952_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the false X Donny ! :) 

It is my understanding also that Paypal never sends an obscure email.   If it comes from them it always addresses the person personally ie Mr Smith etc.       

You're absolutely right Hylander, and Banks and Credit Card companies keep hammering it in to us that they will never ask for passwords or access details in an email.

To non-Computer Geeks though, the bogus emails look so convincing and are often almost threatening in their insistence that the mark complies with their requests for "verification".