Fishing at Potter Heigham

john b.

Hello All, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be staying at Idleways cottage on the Hickling bank of the Thurne in early September, for the last three years I have stayed at Burton Garth on the Ludham bank. Can anyone advise me on the Bream fishing upriver from the bridge. I would also like the Tel No of the Bridge Stores as I need to book a parking space for my car for the week. I am sorry to be a pain on my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Hi John

If you are booking Idlways through Riverside Holidays Ltd you will be offered a parking permit when you arrive at £30 per week in The River Thurne Tenants Association car park - the old Bridge Inn site by the bridge.

My neighbour on the River Thurne is catching bream faster than he can net them!

Regards

David

Hi John

If you are booking Idlways through Riverside Holidays Ltd you will be offered a parking permit when you arrive at £30 per week in The River Thurne Tenants Association car park - the old Bridge Inn site by the bridge.

My neighbour on the River Thurne is catching bream faster than he can net them!

Regards

David

£30 a week thats disgustingly high,even the boatyards only charge £10 a week personally i would not pay it,its probably cheaper in the carpark next to the fish n chip shop by the bridge or park in the village after dropping off your things i know its a little walk.

Potter Heigham is probably the second busiest part of the Broads and guess how many public car park spaces there are within half a mile of Potter Bridge? Eleven!! Yes, you read that right. Eleven on Bastwick Staithe - the only piece of registered common land for miles around.

There are two hundred and twenty riverside properties with no road acess - and, therefore, no car parking spaces. Many of the holidaymakers hiring these properties arrive in two cars. We, the owners of these properties have paid £6,500 to rent space for thirty-one cars for the Summer season.

Work out the arithmetic. Of course £30 is expensive, but, even at £30 per week it is still the cheapest place to park for a week in Potter. Until car parking space increases, land owners will contibue to be able to justify these huge costs. Rules of supply and demand apply.

The owners of the riverside properties have campaigned for twenty years to resolve car parking problems in Potter. The powers that be reckon there is enough. The River Thurne Tenants Association would love to charge ten pounds per car per week, but it is not a visitor charity. No profit is made and the car park is managed on an entirely voluntary basis.

Apologies if this reads as a rant. It isn't meant to, but I thought I ought to put the record straight.

Hi John :wave . Last year I fished very close to the bridge up stream on the Latham's side and had some cracking sport. The best time to fish is just as the boat traffic is quietening down in an evening or first thing in the morning. I fished with a quiver tip with a small closed baitfeeder on maggot. I cant say there was anything very big but it was fast and furious as soon as the bream came into the swim. I tend to groundbait an area thoroughly rather than moving to find the fish, let them find you. If you are using maggot you might have to experiment with the colours as somtimes the only go for a certain colour on the hook. Strange but true. Anyway I hope you have some good sport and I will also be fishing the same spot on the 10h of August. If anyone sees a bearded chap fishing near the bridge give me a wave.

Ian

Hi John. I have just returned from a weeks fishing on the broads. The best places I found were Coltishall and Wroxham Broad. At Coltishall I hooked into a VERY large fish, possibly a carp. I got it within about 5 feet of the net twice but on the third time it decided to swim downstream without stopping, even letting 20 yards of line out I coudnt stop it beaking me. At Wroxham Broad fishing from the Yacht Station there are plenty of good sized roach and large bream. Try fishing with sweetcorn. This week they were going mad on it. Anyway good luck when you come down and let us all know how you went on.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I have got back up North from Bootiful Norfick, We had a really good week on the Thurne, the cottage was excellent and the fishing from the garden was very good. We caught lots of roach and perch during the day and Bream after dark, the bream went to 5lb-6lb and a few were caught each night. It will be a long 12months before we get back but we are already looking forward to it.

Thanks for the advice given and TIGHTLINES.