Outboard Motors

mickfreakley

Removing it from the boat is only practical up to a certain size, and remotes etc..

It's always been a much discussed subject on the YBW forums:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-315638.html

I'd say anything of 10hp or above, leave it down and coat the leg and prop with aluminium safe antifoul.

They're quite vulnerable to damage when tilted, and you stand a good chance of getting the prop nicked, at £100 a go.... :roll:

I would not leave a leg down for long periods.

It encourages stuff to accumulate around the leg and particularly around the water intakes which can get blocked or suck in stuck debris which could lead to premature impellor failure or blockages in the water system. This is not to mention the increase of scale.

I would not leave a leg down for long periods.

It encourages stuff to accumulate around the leg and particularly around the water intakes which can get blocked or suck in stuck debris which could lead to premature impellor failure or blockages in the water system. This is not to mention the increase of scale.

Many outdrive legs like my Volvo Penta are made from the same alloy and have intake grills, and they have no chance of being lifted clear of the water.

I antifoul my leg and prop and have magnesium anodes fitted (fresh water at Horning), and have had no degradation or scale build up over the past 5 years.

I did fit a large Vetus weed filter though, as my engine is raw cooled (also like an outboard) and there was no other filtration.

I'm sure I read somewhere about it being detrimental to keep four stroke outboards tilted because the oil isn't then coating vital engine parts.

If left in the water and unused for long periods drive legs (outboard and outdrive) can become fouled internally with muscles, they start iddy biddy small and can pass through those strainer grills, then the attach inside and start to grow, and grow then the water ways are blocked. Its not fun trying to clear them, leaving the leg submerged in a tank with a solution to dissolve the shells works but some can still be stubborn. 

If left in the water and unused for long periods drive legs (outboard and outdrive) can become fouled internally with muscles, they start iddy biddy small and can pass through those strainer grills, then the attach inside and start to grow, and grow then the water ways are blocked. Its not fun trying to clear them, leaving the leg submerged in a tank with a solution to dissolve the shells works but some can still be stubborn.

The trouble is that most out drive legs cannot be lifted out of the water, only raised enough to take the ground or clear the prop.

Yes out drives are great for the likes of the USA, where your cruiser is dropped in the water you have your play and then it comes back out and the leg drains out again,  here in the UK if they are lucky they come out once a year. the mercruisers have the raw water impeller in the leg not a user friendly design if the boat is to live in the water. The old Enfield leg however is great for uk use, rotating through 90 degrees to lift the whole leg out without it hanging out the back.

Back on topic, out of the water is far better than in, but you may leave yourself open to theft and damage depending on mooring location.

(or you could get a boat with a shaft,  :naughty: )

cobblers use it regular ..............................simpiles....................................

take it off and get a sail ...................................................... :pirate  :naughty:  two guns  :Sailing  :Stinky  :norty:  :wave

or sell the boat .............................................!!!!

we can help ............................................

Yes out drives are great for the likes of the USA, where your cruiser is dropped in the water you have your play and then it comes back out and the leg drains out again,  here in the UK if they are lucky they come out once a year.

My Volvo 290 leg is now 24 years old, I slip the boat every two years for antifouling and bellows replacement. I've never had any of the problems that are supposed to blight them, and the hybrid combination of inboard engine with a tilting/lifting/swivelling leg gives many advantages in prop clearing and manoeuvering.

They can be an expensive nightmare if neglected, but when correctly maintained, they work really well.