Back In The Day

Guest Jonny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Some great videos on this thread, which bring back many memories of how things used to be "Back In The Day". It was nice when I first saw the second video in this thread to see Alan Royall and his father, Ernest at the Royall Boatyard of the 70's, and a shot of Royal Tiger 1 in the background at one point. They were always very kind to me as we were hirer's in those days and always had one of the Royal Tigers from them to go with the bungalow we stayed in at what we called Wroxham, although strictly it was of course Hoveton. I remember that they always gave me a souvenir of some kind from the boatyard to take home with me, and in fact I still have the Hoseasons tie in my wardrobe that I was given one year. I did draw Nigel's attention to that film at the time I first found it. Below is a photo of the Norfolk constabulary Police Launch taken at Horning Quay in the late 60's early 70's.

post-745-136713636288_thumb.jpg

I hadn't noticed the Cortina, Jonny, but it does date the picture as being later than August 1970, so thanks for drawing my attention to that. I don't know about the Cortina, the scan of the transparency isn't good enough to reveal the detail on it's badge, but I seem to remember the Policeman telling me that the boat was powered by a Rolls Royce Diesel, quite a large one I seem to remember, which sounded lovely, and I also remember being shown the various gear that the boat carried including the tackle for dragging the river bed when searching for bodies!