Full Metal Jacket

This is nothing to do with boats or the broads but thought some might find it interesting.

I have always known that Charles Dickens used Cliffe Church/graveyard in Great Expectations, where Pip and Magwitch first met but was unaware

that the film Full Metal Jacket used Cliffe Marshes as the paddy fields shown in the film.

Sorry I'll get my coat. :shocked

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I think that film (or the other one like it) was shot in a variety of places including some derelict building sites and remember being told by a friend who was working on set they had palm trees in skips and moved them around from shot to shot because they were on a limited budget, movie trivia is quite interesting imho, I mean you wouldn't even know that their were probably only 20 or so palm trees being moved around via a fork lift to create a jungle scene rofl

cheers

Ray

• Like 2

Littlesprite, l think l'll get my coat too! l believe some of the filming was done at the derelict Beckton gas works in East London. ln its' day, this was the biggest gas works in Europe and had loads of buildings etc to play around with which looked very real in the film.  

• Like 2