How To Remove A Heavy Outboard Engine, The Easy Way.

Viking23

Well I was inspired by my recent posting of how to stern moor with an outboard, that I thought I would show you my contraption for removing the outboard, or just simply elevating it high enough to do a gear oil change. The Honda 15 weighs in at 50 kg.

The design was inspired by the crutch arrangement on  Broads yacht mast supports.

Basically it's a piece of timber 8' long, with a cross piece that clamps above the door.  No other tools required. 

It was cut in two, with some dexion, so that it could fit into the car, but other material could be used.

It is a one man operation, the engine can be lowered onto a sack truck to take it away.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

No doubt I will show a few other projects, another, that didn't get commissioned... yet, is a removeable electric mud weight winch. 

You will get the impression that I like simple, minimum fixing, least damage or evidence left on the boat, no clutter etc etc.

All items can be removed for storage etc.  Even the stern step brackets, when not in use, support a couple of solar panels, that again can be removed easily for engine maintenance.

I designed my own rudder position indicator, and fitted a rev counter to the Honda 15, not a factory option, so this was quite complex.

I like challenges, so if I can inspire others, that would be great.

Best regards,

Richard

image.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ingenious but wow, the bend in that piece of timber with the winch on it! 

Is this the first step to fitting a mast & sail?

Some of the bend is from the loose joint lol, but I preloaded it with me on the end prior to lifting the engine, so a good safety factor of two... Aghhh lol...

Mast... hmmm miss that, used to enjoy sailing, but shoulder and other issues has put paid to that.