PARAFIN/SPIRIT COOKERS

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, can anybody tell me of any BSSC legal requirements for parafin or spirit cookers?. Are the safety requirements etc more stringent or not so?. The reasoning behind my asking is that i would say parafin is a lot safer when stored and will only burn when turned into a gas due to heating. Also, you should`nt need amy vented lockers etc for parafin storage. Is this so, or is there more to it?. Also, with a parafin stove, there would be no gas pipe runs. What are your thoughts?. Regards to all .................. Neil.

Hi,

We had a Taylors paraffin stove and it passed the BSS, the only problem we had was the armoured fuel line that had to be replaced with a rubber hose with numbers printed on it as it was safer :cry

However shortly after the test we removed the Taylors as it was such a hassle to start, with 3 foot flames and soot blackening the canopy, and replaced it with a Spirit stove. The meths for the spirit stove is more expensive but so much less hassle. As meths evaporates and does not build up in the bilge I think the BSS is not a problem.

Ian

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Hi,

We had a Taylors paraffin stove and it passed the BSS, the only problem we had was the armoured fuel line that had to be replaced with a rubber hose with numbers printed on it as it was safer :cry

However shortly after the test we removed the Taylors as it was such a hassle to start, with 3 foot flames and soot blackening the canopy, and replaced it with a Spirit stove. The meths for the spirit stove is more expensive but so much less hassle. As meths evaporates and does not build up in the bilge I think the BSS is not a problem.

Ian

How do you get a spirit stove going Ian?. I originally had a parafin cooker on Mistral, but swapped it for a larger 2 burner oven and grill gas cooker, but wish i had`nt. The parafin cooker took longer to light, but had a much hotter flame and cooked much quicker. How does a spirit (meths) cooker perform in comparison?. Thanks for the quick replies chaps. Regards .................... Neil.

Hi,

The spirit stove is not as good as the paraffin stove for heat output and economy. However the fact lighting the Spirit stove is instantaneous means you start cooking so much quicker than the Taylors. The time difference to start cooking then reduces the effect the lower heat out put makes. Our stove is in the back of the boat so almost in the open air as the fumes can make your eyes sting but equally the Taylors always smelled of Paraffin.

If I had the choice now I would still go for the spirit stove over the paraffin.

Ian :Sailing