4 days in April.

Guest aahbarnes

Just had 4 days Tuesday - Saturday on Richardson's Broadland Lass. Picked up from Stalham at about 2pm on the tuesday, boat was prepared and ready to go. Handover was very efficient, nice bloke showed us the ropes. It's obviously one of the older boats, but it suited our budget and was fine for our 3 and 7 year old girls. They slept at the bedroom at the back, we used the pulldown double up front.

Spent the first night down at the free moorings at How Hill, about 1.5 hours downriver from Stalham. Nice quiet spot here, moored up opposite the windmill.

Started up at 7 am and moved on to St Benets abbey, water nicely heated up, we had showers and breakfast when we got there. We tend to warm water this way, on the move, rather than waste diesel with the engine running. Moved on to Potter Heigham, spent a while in Lathams, amazing shop! Carried on back towards St Bennets, spent the night at the free moorings outside Cockshoot broad.

Thursday, started up early again and went onto Salhouse Broad, one of my favorites. Dropped the mudweight in the middle, had showers & breakfast. Spent a while there, then went on to Wroxham, looked around shops, Roys etc. Richardsons came over & changed the boat's batteries, could only get 10 mins TV at night! All very efficient and problem solved.

Did the nature trail at Hoveton Great Broad, highly recommended and very informative.

Sailed back to Salhouse for the night, stern on. Kids loved the play area and the walks.

Next morning onto Ranworth for showers & breakfast. Managed to get stern on mooring, tight though! Walked over to the church to climb the tower, wow, what an experience. Very tight spiral stone staircase, one metal ladder, one wooden ladder and a hatch to open! Hard work carrying a 3 year old! Views at the top were great.

Rest of the day we had a relaxing cruise back up to Stalham, stopping en route at a few places.

A great relaxing time, fuel usage was £40, bargain.

We tend to warm water this way, on the move, rather than waste diesel with the engine running.
:bow

Not only saves fuel but doesn’t disturb your fellow boaters either! Nice one. :grin: Glad you had a good holiday. Good service from Richardsons too. Hopefully you’ll be back again! Many thanks for sharing with us.

cheersbar

you are right Mr Norfolk,

On my trial run last week (first one in 5 years) I was told that to have the heating on, just run the engine for 15 mins then it will be warm all night...

I said, what if i turn it on 15 mins before I reach my mooring, then it will be hot all night, he said yes, good idea...

But, the next night I forgot to turn it on before we moored up.... so after getting back from the refreshment area ( pub) I put the heating on, no need to run the engine because it had been running all day, and the heating came on and did it's job.

There is no need to run your engine for heating if you have been cruising for a while.

cheersbar

PS norfolk nog............. Ghost ship...... blerdy loverly

cheersbar

We had to turn the heating in the evening the keep the boat warm, but this used the separate webasto heater which wasn't too noisy outside, not as loud as the engine anyway.

Was frosty on most mornings, but the spring sun soon did its job. Next time might spend the last night somewhere close to the boatyard, instead of actually in it. Any recommendations?

We had to turn the heating in the evening the keep the boat warm, but this used the separate webasto heater which wasn't too noisy outside, not as loud as the engine anyway.

Was frosty on most mornings, but the spring sun soon did its job. Next time might spend the last night somewhere close to the boatyard, instead of actually in it. Any recommendations?

I always get to Sutton Staithe, excellent food for the last night, and only 3/4 hour or so from Richardsons yard.

:Stinky

Hi

Sutton Staithe is a nice place for a last/first night stop and very handy for the boatyard. The hotel is popular and the moorings can fill up quickly at busy times. Gays Staithe (just off Barton Broad) is a nice spot and you can walk to Neatishead village (good pub – the White Horse). You can moor at the village staithe further up Lime Kiln Dyke but it is very tight particularly at busy times. There are plenty of moorings at How Hill if you fancy a quieter stopover and still within easy reach of Stalham. Also you can moor at Ludham Bridge. There are now moorings at both sides of the river. Riverside shop and (IMHO) one of the best pubs on the Broads – the Dog Inn. This would be about an hour and a half to two hours from Stalham. Wayford Bridge is a possibility but moorings here are very limited indeed.

cheersbar