Anodes

took off the old performance metals aluminium aloy anodes from clanny today and can confirm that they do seem to work.

Props and drives properly protected, Anodes fizzing but at a nice rate, they have been on for 18 months and were well under half used having spent about 5 weeks in salt and the rest in slightly brackish and fresh.

They do claim that they last 5 times longer than magnesium in fresh and 3 times as long as zinc in salt. Had similar results on last boat moored in Burgh castle which is almost salt.

Our Ali ones lasted well under similar conditions, but permenant exposure to full strength seawater made them fizz away in about six months and we switched to zinc, I think if perhaps they are protecting an aluminum alloy like an outdrive with ali prop and the anode and protected metals are quite close on the scale then they probably would have lasted longer.

Probably right David as the Performance metals ones are made as a set for specific outdrives. I suppose they can tailor them to be just a bit more reactive than the aluminium of the Drive itself.

That's certainly what I was told Ian (rightly or wrongly). Performance ali ones going on our drive after this overhaul.